Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2021, 23:56   #1
BHPian

Aftermarket headlights for my Polo ended up a big disaster

I own a simple Polo 1.2 MPI which was launched in the SR Edition back when I was a kid. SR stood for Sports Pacer. Back then, I had no knowledge about what a car actually was and till date, that remains the same. I try to learn from Team-BHP, but that's where everything ends. I ordered some absolutely dazzling aftermarket headlights after I passed my supplementary exams for final MBBS. Got them today. The light is nowhere close to my stock 2013 polo headlights and the right indicator function is picking up a notch. Skipping things. The only thing I am crying about after spending 37K on aftermarket headlights, I am seriously devastated. The seller in Pune is a good guy. I am not sure if I should blame the seller, but I seriously need your guys help. Fogging issues happened within 2 hours of usage. Visibility in both high and low beam is poor. Poor in the sense, halogen in better. I'll literally be crying in a week if this doesn't get resolved. I'm attaching pictures and everything. Please help me.

Mod Note: Your post is very poorly constructed, and is an eyesore to read.

Please ensure that you:

- Use CAPITAL letters where required (this PM is a good example).

- Proof-Read your posts to correct Language & Grammatical errors.

- Use the right punctuation.

- Use spaces properly (between sentences as well as paragraphs).

Thank you for the Support. These steps would go a long way in making your posts pleasurable to read for all of us (members & guests included).

Last edited by Aditya : 10th October 2021 at 20:13. Reason: See mod note
Gorkey is offline   (4) Thanks Received Infraction
Old 10th October 2021, 00:01   #2
BHPian

re: Aftermarket headlights for my Polo ended up a big disaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gorkey View Post
I own a simple polo 1.2 MPI which was released in the SR edition back when I was a kid. SR stood for sports racer. Back then I had no knowledge what a car actually is and till date that thing remains the same. I try to learn from teambhp but thats where everything ends. I ordered a aftet marketing absolutely dazzling aftermarket headlights after I passed my supplementary exams for final MBBS. Got them today , the light is nowhere close to my stock 2013 polo headlights and the right indicator function is picking up a notch. Skipping things. The only thing I am crying about after spending 37 k on aftermarket headlights i am seriously devastated. The sellers from Pune and good guy. I am not sure to blame the seller but seriously need your guys help. Fogging issues happened within 2 hours our usage. Visibility in both High and low beam is poor. Poor in the sense halogen in better. I'll literally be crying in a week if this doesn't get resolved. Attaching pictures and everything. Please help me.
Gorkey you need to review your posts so that we can help you. I think the pics were missed.

Which brand of headlights? Why and how did you end up selecting these lights? from some review?
SideView is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 00:43   #3
BHPian

The photos. If you want can send videos of the light "throwing" pattern
Just let me and everyone else know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post
Gorkey you need to review your posts so that we can help you. I think the pics were missed.

Which brand of headlights? Why and how did you end up selecting these lights? from some review?
The lights are most focused towards the left with a wide big black blank spot between the right and the left beam. Cannot see a thing. Will post a video if anyone else needs to see this. I've had friends having aftermarket headlights in their polo. No one else had this experience
Attached Thumbnails
Aftermarket headlights for my Polo ended up a big disaster-screenshot_20210928101240_youtube.jpg  

Aftermarket headlights for my Polo ended up a big disaster-20211009_182217.jpg  

Aftermarket headlights for my Polo ended up a big disaster-20211009_182210.jpg  

Last edited by Sheel : 10th October 2021 at 14:10. Reason: Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD! Thanks.
Gorkey is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 01:20   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

One needs to understand that bixenons and LED headlights aren't cheap to make. So if an aftermarket seller is selling brand new ones at even half the price of VW OEs (these are 1/3rd the price IIRC), it's obvious there has been a compromise somewhere.

Coming to the compromises, this is what I have generally observed with Taiwanese or Chinese aftermarket headlamp clusters:

- Poor lens quality. Lens fade after only a year or two of usage is a common sight in these (OE headlamp lenses last 2-3x that easily)

- Quality of electronic components inside isn't upto the mark. Features like dynamic turn indicators don't work seamlessly with the rest of the car

- The alignment of the beams is off like in your case leading to severe functional deficiencies

- Can cause bulb out errors on the MFD or CANBUS errors

In the end, all I will say is caveat emptor. Don't trust any seller out there no matter how reputed he is. Rely solely on real life reviews and do your research based on this. Ask owners how the product is holding up, it's performance and the after sales support (if any). Only then buy something like this.
vishy76 is online now   (26) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 02:17   #5
BHPian

Quote:
The lights are most focused towards the left with a wide big black blank spot between the right and the left beam. Cannot see a thing.
Where are these lights produced? If they are for cars that drive on the right side of the road, you cannot use them in India.
It is also possible that you have one LHD and one RHD lamps in the kit you bought.

Last edited by Indian2003 : 10th October 2021 at 02:18.
Indian2003 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 10th October 2021, 14:03   #6
BHPian

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or QUOTE+ (multi-quote) button instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules and posting etiquettes before proceeding any further.

Quote:
- The alignment of the beams is off like in your case leading to severe functional deficiencies
Can the alignment be adjusted? Since I already bought and fitted in my car I doubt there'll be any replacements. At a complete loss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post
Where are these lights produced? If they are for cars that drive on the right side of the road, you cannot use them in India.
It is also possible that you have one LHD and one RHD lamps in the kit you bought.
Made in China. Aftermarket headlights are mostly made in China.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SideView View Post

These are aftermarket chinese headlights. The name "DEMON EYE" was written on the box. I was looking for an aftermarket setup for a long time now. Checking youtube, alibaba etc. These looked appealing to me so started researching on them. Got a video on YouTube showing the throw of light and it looked amazing. Everything lit up great. Great throw. Great looks. So is texted a seller whose number I got from youtube. The seller is Bafna cars from Pune. Sounded trustworthy over the phone. He told me that if I order that same day he can ship it in exact same date. I got excited and transferred the amount to him. Got them yesterday and fitted them in a FNG. Didn't check the brightness there since it was daytime . Went out for a spin in the night and boy oh boy was I disappointed. My friend has a similar aftermarket setup on his polo and the difference of light throw is in huge . Both the lights in their low beam throws light towards the left. And there's a huge dark spot in the centre. I couldnt see a thing. My stock setup was better than this. At a huge loss. Trying to realign the projector but I am not sure if it will work . Will update once I realign the low beam projectors if thats even possible. The higher beam LED projector is working just fine.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 11th October 2021 at 20:59. Reason: Merged consecutive posts.
Gorkey is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 13:07   #7
BHPian

Re: Aftermarket headlights for my Polo ended up a big disaster

Frankly speaking almost all of these aftermarket units perform poorly although look good. If output on road is all you want then best option is to add bi xenon projectors inside the stock assembly unit.
Mr. Nobody is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 16:37   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Nobody View Post
Frankly speaking almost all of these aftermarket units perform poorly although look good.
Whatever car you drive, you will never get daylight with headlights. I am willing to bet that most swaps to aftermarket lights are for the looks.

There is no point fitting better bulbs and headlights when your wiring cant deliver the power. People just buy new lamps and bulbs thinking they will get better lights that will make a difference.

Fitting fancy names like Nightvision Laser and Racing Vision are all a waste of money. They give a third of life and about 5-15% better lights than the standard bulbs. The only thing lazer about the Nightvision Laser is that they use lazer to etch the name on the bulb.

The claimed 150% better lights are not compared with halogen bulbs of today but the old incandacent bulbs of the 60s. In those days car lights looked like candlelights.

The Osram Original gives a lifespan of 600 hours while the Nightbreaker Laser gives only 150 hours and 15% better lights at double price if there was no voltage drop. The blue colour on the bulbs costs money.
Indian2003 is offline   (13) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 17:34   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian2003 View Post

Fitting fancy names like Nightvision Laser and Racing Vision are all a waste of money. They give a third of life and about 5-15% better lights than the standard bulbs. The only thing lazer about the Nightvision Laser is that they use lazer to etch the name on the bulb.
Philips has removed the data sheet and the product itself from their india website - the normal 55\60W H4 that has better light output than its expensive twins with blue filter on it. Power of marketing I would say.
Kosfactor is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 17:36   #10
Senior - BHPian

If your friend has a similar aftermarket setup and the disparity between the lighting performance is as big as you say, then shouldn't simple video and photo documentation evidence suffice to request a replacement from the seller?
IshaanIan is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 11th October 2021, 18:07   #11
BHPian

In the short term you'd probably be better off reverting to your stock set of headlights as your current predicament can be a safety hazard, not just for you but other people using the road as well.

With that said, most of these aftermarket kits are usually just for vanity and don't serve any real purpose. You could try to ask the seller for a refund after providing photo/video documented proof of the bad throw, and/or ask him to send you a photo or video of what it's supposed to look like when installed correctly and you should have a fair idea of where the issue is.
Old 12th October 2021, 01:35   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post
Philips has removed the data sheet and the product itself from their india website - the normal 55\60W H4 that has better light output than its expensive twins with blue filter on it. Power of marketing I would say.
Ther Philips Racing Vision gave less light and life than the Vision. That was some expensive blue colour on the bulbs.

Your lights will only be as bright as the weakest point in your wiring. It will not help fitting high higer wattage bulbs to rectify resistance in the wiring.

In that case the only solution is to fit a double relay or 2 single relays and wire them so that you have 1 fuse for each beam, making a total of 4 fuses. That way, you will still have 1 working light should a fuse blow. I have gone further. I have 4 relays and 4 fuses.

Before i fit them, my headlights gave an orange glow. Voltage drop was around 12V at the headlights. After the the upgrade, it was 13,2V and my bulbs are 3 years old and about 50,000 km now.

With relays, you will get the full power of the batteries to the headlights.
Indian2003 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2021, 09:58   #13
BHPian

Are you using led bulbs with this setup? Chances are they may not be aligned correctly.

Last edited by Aditya : 16th October 2021 at 05:08. Reason: SMS lingo
Old 12th October 2021, 10:47   #14
BANNED

Thanks for sharing this valuable information on your inconvenience. It will help many others avoid making similar costly mistakes in future.

You would have been much better off, if you had opted for 4 hella 60mm projectors with 55w halogens mounted on holes cut in bumper. They would have been cheaper, reliable and efficient.

You can cut your losses, throw away this setup and shift to those projectors. They will cost 6k to buy and 3k(max) to install.

We all make mistakes, kee in mind to avoid mental trauma wrangling over them if there appears to absolutely no recourse to the issue.

Last edited by COMMUTER : 12th October 2021 at 10:49.
Old 12th October 2021, 12:47   #15
BHPian

Quote:

Can the alignment be adjusted? Since I already bought and fitted in my car I doubt there'll be any replacements. At a complete loss

----

Went out for a spin in the night and boy oh boy was I disappointed. My friend has a similar aftermarket setup on his polo and the difference of light throw is in huge . Both the lights in their low beam throws light towards the left. And there's a huge dark spot in the centre. I couldnt see a thing. My stock setup was better than this. At a huge loss. Trying to realign the projector but I am not sure if it will work . Will update once I realign the low beam projectors if thats even possible. The higher beam LED projector is working just fine.
Looks like your lights and/or lowbeams are not properly aligned. Any FNG should be able to fix this. This is the first thing I will try. If the lighting is still inadequate, then replace your low beams lights with good quality 4000K HIDs. If you have to do this all over again, then projector retrofits (Bi-xenon like G5-BRT) are the way to go. Would cost about 30K.

These links should be useful

Last edited by Lord Lucan : 12th October 2021 at 12:48.
Lord Lucan is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed