Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th May 2007, 01:39   #1
BHPian

Car Partition like New York Taxis - Installation advice please

I wish to install a partition in my car between the front and middle/ rear row seats. Since my car is mostly chauffeured the partition is for privacy. When the Indigo XL was released I was disappointed that the car did not have a partition, atleast as an option.

Obviously the partition will have to be along the 'B' pillar, there is need for a rollable window and the rear of the car will need to have Air Conditioner (AC) vents/ blowers.

Which cars will be suitable and how will it have to be done?

The cars that come to my mind are Tata Indigo XL, Toyota Innova, Chevrolet Tavera, Tata Safari, Mahindra Scorpio, Maruti Versa - all cars with twin AC or blowers in some variants.

Taxis in New York have this kind of partition.

Taxidepot PARTITIONS

Ofcourse, I am not looking at partitions like on Police cars!

Progard Vehicle Partition Cage Police Car Barrier from SWPS.com

LC Action

Awaiting feedback.
Old 30th May 2007, 01:51   #2
BHPian

hey murugan! well i remember seeing the scorpio CEO at the autoexpo that had the drivers compartment partitioned! dont know if that even made it to the roads, anyways if you want to get it done on a new car i'd suggest an innova or safari as they would have AC vents at the back! dont know if that is available or possible in a scorpio! i dont think versa or tavera should be considered!! not very impressive cars! as far as the indigo xl goes i think you need a bigger car to have a partition in place as otherwise it'll make the car look quite stuffy sum how even the xl seems to be like it would get stuffy!
but thats how i feel!
Old 30th May 2007, 01:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

Indigo XL and comes to mind first, then the Superb. What is the purpose? For privacy or security?
Old 30th May 2007, 01:57   #4
Senior - BHPian

DC had done an Innova with a partition. He ripped out the last two rows of seats and put in two giant recliners.
Old 30th May 2007, 02:05   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mpower View Post
Indigo XL and comes to mind first, then the Superb. What is the purpose? For privacy or security?

well the reason i didn't suggest the indigo is because of the additional head room in the other options seem to give a roomier feel to the rear compartment! leg room wise its better than the others in the same budget!
Old 30th May 2007, 02:22   #6
BHPian

Quote:
As I had mentioned in my post, it is for privacy.

I particularly like the 7 seater Innova and Tavera variants with reclining/ captain seats in the middle row. A partition would be fantastic. Do'nt like the Innovas shape though.

The heart awaits the 2.2L 4X4 Safari - chauffeured on weekdays and driven on the weekend for fun! Will however miss the reclining middle row - or can that be modified too?

Dr.Murugan
Old 30th May 2007, 03:32   #7
Senior - BHPian

If its for privacy, better to install curtains like they have on Ambassador rear glass.

A hard partition will kill legroom, not allow the front seats to slide back, block the A/C and will not be enjoyable when you are driving with your family.

NY cabs have those to prevent mugging. Beijing taxis have a cage around the driver for the same reason.
Old 30th May 2007, 04:18   #8
BHPian

Quote:
If its for privacy, better to install curtains like they have on Ambassador rear glass.

A hard partition will kill legroom, not allow the front seats to slide back, block the A/C and will not be enjoyable when you are driving with your family.

NY cabs have those to prevent mugging. Beijing taxis have a cage around the driver for the same reason.
I need the partition for auditory not visual privacy. It's uncomfortable discussing some topics (medical and private) within earshot of the chauffeur. Curtains will not be of use.

I need advice on choice of car and technique for fabricating and installing a solid (not necessarily metallic as in cabs and police cars) partition with a sliding/ rolling glass window. A list of mechanics in Chennai who can do the job will also help.

Agreed on reduction in legroom, non-sliding of front seats, reduction in fun factor when driving with family. Rear AC vents will take care of Airconditioning, wo'nt they?

Yes, you are correct; the cab partitions serve the purpose of reducing crime.
Old 30th May 2007, 05:48   #9
Senior - BHPian

Id advice you to go to DC itself as he has already done this kind of work before.
Old 30th May 2007, 09:36   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

When choosing a car for the partition, the rear air-con vents must be powerful enough to cool the rear. Independently. For e.g. the rear vents in my C are supplementary to the main air-con. I doubt they will be efficient by themself.

The partition you are looking for must be a pro-grade install; else the rattling will annoy you. Also, effective sound proofing must be carried out to ensure the privacy you seek.

I suggest contacting DC. He has done this before and will be able to give you the quality you are looking for. PM "Dippy"....he may be able to help you.
Old 30th May 2007, 09:46   #11
BHPian

if you need just audio insulation, no need to go to DC & throw you money away.

Just get some good fabricator, use compressed board, lined with glass wool, covere the final surface with fabric matching interiors & bolt on.

you will have good sound barrier, but the driver will loose view in internal RVM.
Old 30th May 2007, 10:11   #12
Team-BHP Support

use a 7 seater innova. the ac vents at the rear will be sufficient.
Old 30th May 2007, 23:13   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khanak View Post
Id advice you to go to DC itself as he has already done this kind of work before.
Not looking for anything so exotic! Am on a shoe string (albeit thick one ) budget!
Old 31st May 2007, 18:30   #14
BHPian

I once had the pleasure of travelling in a Mini Van cab in Chicago and they had rigged up the AC vents of the Passenger side through Flexi tubes to blow air into the Back Seats. Looks rubbish though highly efficient.

As far as the Window is considered you could get a perspex ( Clear Acrylic plastic peice bought from the market and fixed between the seats. I believe an Upholstory guy could help you Fix it. If you can get some automotive guy to rig you an old window winder you might get every thing you need.
Old 1st June 2007, 21:45   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murugan View Post
I need the partition for auditory not visual privacy. It's uncomfortable discussing some topics (medical and private) within earshot of the chauffeur. Curtains will not be of use.
Best, hire a driver who dosent speak your language. Or find one who is hard of hearing.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks