Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 1st June 2007, 08:54   #1
Senior - BHPian

My esteem story

It all started in march 2006, when i was in a lookout for a seconhand car, second hand because i didn't know driving then. i was screening news papers as all car buyers do. And found this ikon for sale it was a 2001 model 1.6 for 1.6lacs, sounded great to me went and saw the car, itwas located in malviya nagar. called up a DSA got the loan arranged and guess what the guy finally changes his mind and says he is not selling his car. Now i have a loan ready without a car to buy, so that reminded of my ex coleauge and friend whose chacha was a dealer in the famous karol bagh market. i went there saw sa a couple of ikons surely they were all a little expensive than the one i orignally saw but lacked the peppyness, then i spotted a white esteem standing there which was absolutly spotless and was shining like a new car. i thought of taking a test ride, and i do not know why but i liked it. it was a 98 model esteem LX, by then i did not know much about power steering and the dealer washed my brain well and he said the power windows give a lot of problems and people usually take them off and install the mannual ones, and the power steering can be very dangerous at high speeds. so i thaught as all stupids think if i buy a higher model then that means more commmison to the dealer why would he not like higher commision? he must be giving me a great advice as he is my best friend's uncle. Initially they asked me 1.3 lacs but finally i got it down to 1.1lacs, later after everything was finalised i took the delevary the bank gave hima cheque, i get a call from my dealer saying he got a call from the bank that the loan might not be approved because the number of owners were high. Then is when i realised to ask him how many, he said including you 5, i thought i got cheated, but again as i am a very straight person, one of my friend said these days new bikes sell for as high as 90k so does it matter you piad that much for a car. now you have a car try to enjoy it, the very first day the battery went dead. soon the fuel pump died after a couple of months the suspension needed work the axels needed work, then all of a sudden one fine day i decided to modify it and trust me i my self will post a pic in the wacky thread because that modifier acually made a complete joke out of it. he painted the skirts and lips in different color than the body now it looks like a joke. Besides all this i love my car, its the first car in my whole family. so i kind of feel proud to own it, i am planning to give it a second life, i am going to completely paint it, i tried selling it even yesterday and they quoted me 65k the loan left on the car is arround 40k (i took a 2 year loan). so not a good idea i think, so guys i am planning to make it a complete stock car no mods, planning to paint it in galaxy grey(NHC color) some bling alloys (may be) and some little engine mods. BTW it give me about 15KMPL in city with AC. So suggestions please the pics are in my gallery any one is free to post it in the wacky thread.
Old 1st June 2007, 09:44   #2
Senior - BHPian

It seems you are intent on compounding your problems. If you still have that kind of money to spend on mods, i would advice you to sell this car & get another better car.
Old 1st June 2007, 09:49   #3
Senior - BHPian

i have thought about this E_L but all i was getting was 65 k using this i cannot go for another car. i ave about 40k loan left on it. i am planning to sell it if i get atleast 80k so that i can use that 40-45k for down payment. but now it is not geving me any mechanical issues for the last sevral months it has run 6k without any issues so far touch wood, so i think if i spend 10k i will be able to give it a second lease of life. keep you sugestions coming as i will closly monitoring this thread, and again i love this car it means a lot to me.
Old 1st June 2007, 12:01   #4
BHPian

Pramod, Sorry to hear about your experiece. But remember, When you have finaly made up your mind to sell your car, The mods will not fetch you the actual money that you have spent. Instead, sell the car and buy a new one

Where did you get the resale value from? Is it from a dealer? If the car is not giving you any trouble, try to sell it privately and save the 10k that you have, In that case you can lower your quote to 70k

I just gave 20k as down payment for my alto, I am sure you will find similar offers in the market, remember, Interest rates for used cars are higher that the new ones.

Best of luck
Old 1st June 2007, 14:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

Hey sad to hear that.

Buying cars from a second hand dealer is risky. i think one has to do some amount of research before buying a used car. i would suggest you to get it checked before you invest any money on the car. if you do then make sure you keep it for some years.
Old 3rd June 2007, 00:00   #6
Senior - BHPian

Thats ok pramod, i was only suggesting. i think i know how you feel. keep her then & spruce her up, but make sure you get the engine & the things under the hood in ship shape before going in for internal & external mods.
cheers
Old 3rd June 2007, 11:39   #7
Senior - BHPian

E_L as i told you guys earlier that the dealer is my friend's uncle, i thought to take it back to him. The first question he asked me was how is your car is it still running? i was shocked to hear that, he asked me is your AC working? i said yes na he told mme i will sell your car for a lac get it repainted. I asked him do you know the number of owners? he said ya 5 right? its a 1 year old episode and he still remembers it thats really the kind of involvement they have in their jobs. Any ways guys my headache will be someone elses soon. i am getting a 1999 lancer for 1.60 the car looks good any ways i will take it to HM before i buy it i will ask them to do a complete checkup. so do you think lancer is a good deal?. let me know guys and thanks for the responses
Old 3rd June 2007, 12:01   #8
BHPian

Hi Pramod,

Lancer is a good car to drive, very racy, but there were problems with its gear stick. Check that out and also make sure that you have done a through check for all the repairs that you may have to make after the car is bought. I would also like to tell you one thing and that is you were really cheated for your esteem as I bought a 2001 esteem AX for 180000 and it was first owner, (me second owner). If a MPFI can be that cheap you should not have faced the music. Give your piece of mind to your friend's uncle. Also remember the car that you are trying to buy is very old. 8 yrs is pretty long. Make sure that there are not many owners of that car.
Old 3rd June 2007, 13:48   #9
BHPian

sorry to hear about your experience buddy , but then you canbt trust anyone these days even if he`s your best friends uncle.!

Quote:
the pics are in my gallery any one is free to post it in the wacky thread.
Quote:
then all of a sudden one fine day i decided to modify it and trust me i my self will post a pic in the wacky thread
it takes allot to admit/say something like this about your car , Respect.!
Old 3rd June 2007, 16:39   #10
Team-BHP Support

Pramod... he sold you the car for 1.1 lacs and is now willing to pay you 1lacs for it? Well, that sounds too good to be true, really. But if he is really agreeing to do so just get off with it mate. Such offers do not come your way everyday. He probably sold that car off to you under the impression that everything will fall apart within a few days (for whatever reasons that may be). That is why he asked you so many details. And now he is probably fancying his chances for reselling it at some 1.3 lacs (actual). But whatever it is just sell it off to him, take your 1 lacs and vanish from that place. Once you have that 1 lac in your pocket we will talk about your next car maybe. I hope you learnt your lesson the last time around and won't make haste with this Lancer or any other car. To buy a pre-owned car you need patience... lots and lots of it. It may take 2-3 months to locate that "right car".
Old 3rd June 2007, 16:44   #11
Senior - BHPian

[quote=kailashnj;456119]Hi Pramod,

Lancer is a good car to drive, very racy, but there were problems with its gear stick.

Sorry I do not agree with that at all. I happen to have a Lancer which has been driven 107500 kms & has absolutely no problem with the gear shift stick or anything else for that matter
Old 3rd June 2007, 17:05   #12
BHPian

Pramod,

That is really sad that you were cheated by a known dealer. You could have tried true value instead to have piece of mind.

However now what you can do is try to sell this vehicle to same dealer at a good price or if thing does not work out there then you need to sell it privately you may beg a good deal in that case.

Once you have money in your hand you may decide for car as per your choice.

Good luck
Old 3rd June 2007, 23:02   #13
Team-BHP Support

as mentioned above if you are getting 1 lac sell the car and again be sure that the 1.6 lakh lancer is aok before you put ur money on it.
Old 4th June 2007, 11:11   #14
Senior - BHPian

Please dont mind, but why have you this fascination with second/fifth hand sedans? I i were you i would buy brand new Alto/Xeta and some peace of mind!
Old 4th June 2007, 11:27   #15
Senior - BHPian

Hey Pramod good to know that you are getting a decent deal but why you want to fall again?? am assuming that it would have done atleast 60k+, Suspensions might need work, Tyres?, clutch might need work, Windshield might have lots of scratches. I wont recommend it.
As DCEite told buy a new car "Peace of Mind"

Most Viewed