Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2007, 17:38   #16
BHPian

The new Civic comes with a 2x4x1x2 exhaust setup, makin it very difficult for free flow upgrades. The Mugen free flow upgrades cost the earth. I'd suggest goin in for other mods and just upgrading to a magnaflow twin tip muffler. Otherwise, if you have the dough, go get a mugen.
Old 4th June 2007, 18:45   #17
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Vikram,

Firstly, the Civic is a fantastic machine with tons of after-market support (within India and abroad) so make sure that you go only for high-quality parts in your performance installation.

Here is what I would recommend for stage one to the Civic:

1. Cold-air intake
2. Complete exhaust kit. Get in touch with D-BHPian "Psycho". He imported Greddy headers for my Vtec and the performance is far better than any of the locally sourced headers. I am certain there are several bolt-on options for the Civic.

3. Mobil 1 engine oil : If you arent already using it.

4. Performance tyres and upgraded alloys. We rank certain Yokohama tyres very highly, and dont think too much of the new breed of Goodyears.
You mean the old Civic, right? The new one is slim pickings on the bolt-on front. You can't get headers, and you wouldn't want fully synthetic oil on a new engine, unless that's what it comes with.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
you wont find any nfs brands in india besides oz and bbs. and those are very expensive.
I have no idea what NFS brands are, but I have seen Wolf Racing, Enkei, OZ, BBS, Momo, et al on Indian cars in Bangalore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
If you wish to open your engine there a lot of things you can do. Turbo, Supercharger, port/polish, change cams etc etc. Its where you want to be is what you should decide first.
It's not necessary to open your engine for a turbo or supercharger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
Forget K&N's. Take a look at this article;

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...e-effects.html
I beg to differ. K&Ns work, and I can personally vouch for them.
Old 4th June 2007, 18:48   #18
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
It's not necessary to open your engine for a turbo or supercharger.
Better internals. Where is the fun in running just 7-8psi boost?
Old 4th June 2007, 18:58   #19
Senior - BHPian

That's 50% more power. A lot more than you'll ever see.
Old 4th June 2007, 22:41   #20
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1p3r
I beg to differ. K&Ns work, and I can personally vouch for them.
I never said K&N's didn't work. I was emphasizing on the fine print. Yes, you get a MARGINAL increase in throughput. But at what cost? Except for drag / custom projects, I wouldn't recommend a free flow I/T. Exhausts, stock replacements, fine. But no intakes. No CAI's or typhoons. Risking the engine simply isn't worth it. Especially on a daily driver. This's a new car, man...

Here's the best course to go.

Stage 1;

Get better alloys. Bigger tyres. Go for coilover / adjustable suspension. Do the sway bars & fix strut braces. Add a free flow exhaust. Remember to go for a cat-back, which would come in handy for future.

Stage 2;

Get bigger brakes. Stiffen chassis. Lighten the body as per requirement/convenience. Add accurate gauges.

Stage 3;

Standalone ECM. First. Then tinker with engine. Because you'd require custom mapping no matter which engine you have. So, make sound investments in your ride. R&D is a good way to burn a hole through your underpants. Remember to go for tried and tested parts. Do adequate research.
Old 5th June 2007, 01:40   #21
Senior - BHPian

Little Offtopic but Veyron what is Coilover / adjustable suspensiom and stand alone ecm ?
Old 5th June 2007, 18:18   #22
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Man, leave the headers out coz they're integrated the best mod for the r-18 IS THE AIR FILTER.AND WORK ON A BETTER SUSPENSION.Light weight pulleys too will make a huge difference.Or go turbo, but i wouldnt suggest that in our country.DO NOT try stand alone systems. Log onto 8thCivic.com - 8th Generation Civics and learn from the best. NO one efficient enough to tune the R-18s here.And if still eager, then get a greddy piggyback ultimate, which isnt necessary either.It's not like you're gonna race type R's on a daily basis.For the rest you have enough spunk.

Last edited by nitroxx : 5th June 2007 at 18:25.
Old 6th June 2007, 17:26   #23
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

You mean the old Civic, right? The new one is slim pickings on the bolt-on front. You can't get headers
Umm....didnt quite get this. What do you mean?
Old 6th June 2007, 17:53   #24
BHPian

But isnt our friend looking at solutions in around pune, or as near. Mumbai has everything available. May be pointers at the right places in pune will help hime to get a first hand idea on whats available.
Old 6th June 2007, 21:29   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen Power
what is Coilover / adjustable suspensiom and stand alone ecm ?
Coilover is an adjustable suspension where you can tinker with the setup; for example, stiffness. Basically, damping characteristics. Not to be confused with Mcpherson strut, although similar in layout.

A standalone ECM is an advanced engine management system (your cars' computer) where you can alter the engine's parameters via lookup tables, when hooked upto a PC/laptop. Very essential, and very difficult to get the mapping right. You do get performance maps, though..albeit a bit expensive....

Quote:
Originally Posted by adman77
The new Civic comes with a 2x4x1x2 exhaust setup
I assume you meant 4x2x1x2...but that's kinda odd...this setup would typically mean that it's already pretty efficient...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO
I assume he meant the "old Civics" with the B-series. Not the new gen with the R-series powertrains.
Old 6th June 2007, 22:54   #26
Senior - BHPian

What are the oem suspensions called ? Isnt it coilover ? If anyone will install standalone ecm will he remove oem ecu ?
Old 11th June 2007, 17:59   #27
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1 View Post
I assume you meant 4x2x1x2...but that's kinda odd...this setup would typically mean that it's already pretty efficient...

No, I meant a 2x4x1x2 exhaust setup. That's the setup it comes with. Quite odd.
Old 13th June 2007, 17:24   #28
BHPian

Thanks for all the info guys. I still haven't found alloys to my liking. Did install kickass ICE, Stanley seatcovers, front fogs, K&N filter and did the oil change after my first fast run of around 2000Kms. Drove to Goa and back! Didn't open her up all the way; did a topspeed of around 160, but did rev her fairly high in all gears.
Old 13th June 2007, 18:53   #29
Team-BHP Support

how about some pictures??
Old 13th June 2007, 21:33   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1 View Post
Get better alloys. Bigger tyres. Go for coilover / adjustable suspension. Do the sway bars & fix strut braces. Add a free flow exhaust. Remember to go for a cat-back, which would come in handy for future.

Stage 2;

Get bigger brakes. Stiffen chassis. Lighten the body as per requirement/convenience. Add accurate gauges.

Stage 3;

Standalone ECM. First. Then tinker with engine. Because you'd require custom mapping no matter which engine you have. So, make sound investments in your ride. R&D is a good way to burn a hole through your underpants. Remember to go for tried and tested parts. Do adequate research.
Ok, you're thinking of a track spec car or what? Adjustable suspension, coilovers, stiffened chassis, all for a daily drive?! Get real!

And no use putting a cat-back on. That's just a loud sounder. Not a real free-flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by veyron1
I assume he meant the "old Civics" with the B-series. Not the new gen with the R-series powertrains.
You guys really ought to take a look at the Civic's head before passing out advice on headers. The Civic comes with headers INTEGRATED into the head. You CANNOT put aftermarket headers on it.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks