Team-BHP - Scorpio overheats
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Scorpio overheats (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/24978-scorpio-overheats.html)

Guys

Need your help on this. please:

My scorpio is overheating when i use A/C. This is how i use my A/C.

1, I have the AC knob turned fully towards cold.
2. I normally drive alone all time.
3. I use the fan at point 1 or 2. I would not go to 3 or 4.
4. This problem is there for around 10 months or so. When i idle more in traffic or if i use point 3 or 4, the car overheats and the needle goes near RED. Then if i switch off the A/C the temp would gradually come down to half way.

5.I happen to check this with a known local mechanic who deals only with Petrol engines.

He says, everything looks as normal and couldnt find anything abnormal. I am not sure what could be the problem.

The ac fan is working fine. Water pump from radiator is working fine. Fan for radiator is coupled directly to engine and its working fine. Not sure where problem lies. I changed engine oil, gearbox oil recently and still having the same problem.

Is there anything with idler pulley being more stiff or something. I am just thinking out of the box.

Pls suggest me on what probable conditions this would happen.

appreciate your inputs....

have you checked for coolant leakage and coolant level... Does the car gets overheated only when you switch on the AC or it gets hot otherwise too

The electric fan which kicks in once the compressor comes on is behind the grill in front. You can't see it. Have you removed the grill and checked if it is working properly ?

Take it to an authorised dealer. After sales service for the Scorpio is excellent. I know some people in MPL. Let me know if you need help.

Rishi- coolant leakage is not there. I had replaced water pump after it failed and i checked coolant leakage often and couldnt find leakage. Primarylily car gets overheated only if I kick off the AC. Else the needle is not reaching half mark itself.

Sideways - The electric fan is working properly. I am not sure whether it would take up different speeds when the heat is more. I had checked the AC with a mechanic and he finds the fan is working properly. If no other options are around, then i need to take it to authorized service center.

Btw, they charge heavy. Iam trying to find a good service station around who do diesel cars. mine is 4 yrs old and whenever i get on to this auth service guys, they tend to change everything on the car saying this is as part of service requirements. well iam not interested to fork out heafy in there.

thanks for your inputs and let me know if you any more thoughts. .

Do you face any drop in power when the engine heats? If no the thermostat could be faulty. I had this problem where the temp guage would go up with AC on and then AC would cut out, was traced to a faulty thermostat.
If thermostat is fine then I suspect the cooling system is not functioning properly.
Do this. When the car is reasonably cool, open the coolant reservoir and switch on the car along with AC. See if the coolant return is there. i.e. inside the coolant reservoir there is an inlet pipe from where you can see coolant gushing in.
Keep it on and watch the temp gauge. If your coolant starts boiling, its a cooling system fault.
Could be due to some deposits/rust in the plumbing. Try a coolant and radiator flush from any small workshop, its a simple job and should take 15 minutes.
If the problem does not go away, and its not a thermostat/fan issue, then there could be bigger problems with the cooling system.
Meanwhile check your engine oil level, and see of the oil is too watery after runs. This is the worst case, I don't want to scare ya!

thanks a bunch tsk1979. i will do this and would let you know the results.

btw, i changed the engine oil only recently. not sure how oil would be watery. i am gettting where you are goin, engine block crack.... correct

Nothing so serious mate, some gasket problem maybe.
But normally such things show up without AC too.
A real overheating engine will shut down, you will have loss in pickup and if engine is very hot the self will also not crank(atleast thats the way its in indica/go).
Thermostats cost around 200rs in outside market, a cooling system repair can be more expensive depending upon the problem.

please make sure you dont open the coolant lid after switching the car. let it be open first and then start the car. i learnt from bad experience and ended with a soiled linen shirt and few blisters on my hand

Guys,
this is what i did....

Today morning, before starting up the engine. I opened up the radiator cap. Coolant was not till the brim. And the coolant resorvoir is empty.
I had already had coolant ready in a 2 lit pepsi bottle. So i poured in till it reached the brim of radiator.

Now i started the engine and came back to see. what i found is this. i could not see the coolant in the radiator. i.e the coolant started circulating in and the level got decreased. This means the pump is working fine right.
So with the engine on, i topped out the remaining coolant into radiator tank.

Not sure whether i shoud do this. Is this like iam overfilling the tank with additional coolant. Pls let me know whether this is correct.

After this, i started to my work place, which is 9 kms and full of traffic. i staright away put the AC fan point to 4 and started out. To my surprise, the temp guage remained in half and not moved till i reached my work place.

Iam not sure whether this could be a problem like coolant not ample enough in radiator. Iam going to check this for a couple of days and would let you know how it fairs.

Any more suggestions you have. pls let me know...

thanks

The electric fan in Scorpio that cools the condensor does not run continuously like in other vehicles. It is sensor based and switches on and off depending on the temp of the condensor..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sideways (Post 463351)
The electric fan which kicks in once the compressor comes on is behind the grill in front. You can't see it. Have you removed the grill and checked if it is working properly ?

Take it to an authorised dealer. After sales service for the Scorpio is excellent. I know some people in MPL. Let me know if you need help.

This indeed could be the reason. As the AC puts load on the engine the temp shoots up. If the radiator is not full then the mercury will rise..

Quote:

Originally Posted by ulytel (Post 465544)
Guys,
this is what i did....

Iam not sure whether this could be a problem like coolant not ample enough in radiator. Iam going to check this for a couple of days and would let you know how it fairs.

Any more suggestions you have. pls let me know...

thanks

well,
Today before starting up the engine, i checked the level of coolant in the radiator. iam having a feel like there could be a leak or something in somewhre.

the coolant level is decreased in the radiator. iam not sure whether due to boiling of coolant when the engine heats, the level would decrease.. At least not in a day.

so i would check tomorrow and top up the coolant and see if there could be a leak somewhere in radiator or soemthing.

But am happy that temp is now in control. but still need to check on..

thanks for your inputs. will update you again..

Hi

Im experiencing the same problem on my scorpio 2005 crde.. What was the solution Ulytel

Quote:

Originally Posted by VinC (Post 3234522)
Hi

Im experiencing the same problem on my scorpio 2005 crde.. What was the solution Ulytel

Can you please describe the issue in slightly greater detail VinC?

That would help in getting more clarification and understanding.