Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2007, 14:17   #1
BHPian

"Check Engine" Light!

Guys, need some help here. It's about my modded Opel Corsa 1.4. Sometimes when I rev it past 6500 at idle (on signals, waiting for the green light, love the way the 4.5" Magnaflow sounds), the engine check light comes on. It goes off if i stop the car, switch it off and start it after a couple of minutes. What do you guys think? Please tell me.

By the way, the engine mods are listed below.

K&N high flow filter with custom intake pipe.

Custom free flow headers with Magnaflow mid pipe, end pipe and Race spec muffler.

Enlarged throttle body.

FSE fuel pressure regulator with pressure boost valve.

Head ported and polished.

Iridium cold plugs.
Old 12th June 2007, 14:21   #2
BHPian

Those are some serious mods you have done.. Have you done them recently. What I mean is that...Has the car been running fine with these mods?
Old 12th June 2007, 14:26   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishibravo View Post
Those are some serious mods you have done.. Have you done them recently. What I mean is that...Has the car been running fine with these mods?

These mods have been done stagewise since October 2006. I've been driving with these mods since last 6 months at least and the car's performing wonderfully well. It's really quick off the line and even the high end is great. And afterall, being an Opel, it's quite stable. The engine check light doesn't cause any problems though, just irritates the crap outta me.
Old 12th June 2007, 14:31   #4
Senior - BHPian

Does the check light come on if you rev to 6500+ even when in motion? Did you get the enlarged TB recently?
Old 12th June 2007, 14:34   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ported_head View Post
Does the check light come on if you rev to 6500+ even when in motion? Did you get the enlarged TB recently?

No, the check light never comes on when I'm in motion. The TB was enlarged in Jan, just before the speedrun.
Old 12th June 2007, 14:38   #6
BHPian

Could be Ignition Coil Surge to the ECU, Get it checked, or could be Lamda error, with the Mix of Air-Fuel not being appropriate at the specified RPM
Old 12th June 2007, 14:45   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfinstein View Post
or could be Lamda error, with the Mix of Air-Fuel not being appropriate at the specified RPM

Some friends have suggested getting a remap done. Though it's not easy finding remaps for the Corsa in India, I've managed to find the remapping software. Thinking of getting it done on one of the weekends (might also try to squeeze out some more performance from my baby )
Old 29th July 2007, 02:05   #8
sAP
BHPian

Fuel map for 1.4

Where did you get your performance fuel map for the Corsa from? How much did that cost you?

sAP
Old 30th July 2007, 11:11   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sAP View Post
Where did you get your performance fuel map for the Corsa from? How much did that cost you?

sAP
Hi SAp,
I got the remapping software for free. A friend of mine got it from UK. Still haven't done it as most of the tuners here are quite apprehensive as they haven't done any Corsas yet. Anyways, I'm now getting a standalone performance ECU instead of the remap.
Old 30th July 2007, 11:17   #10
BANNED

Off Topic - but by any chance were you crossing Panvel yesterday evening around 6ish. I thought I crossed your car after Mac Donalds.

viper
Old 30th July 2007, 11:24   #11
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper View Post
Off Topic - but by any chance were you crossing Panvel yesterday evening around 6ish. I thought I crossed your car after Mac Donalds.

viper
No Jiggy, that was not me. I was at home at that time. If it would have been me, I wouldn't have let you cross
Old 30th July 2007, 12:00   #12
rks
BANNED

In my Santro (2000 model, 1-lit engine) the engine check light never came on as it is supposed to momentarily when one switches on the ignition. After a number of years, I finally asked my local garage mechanic as to what the problem is. He replied that Hyundai delivered the Santros in 2000-2001 with the engine check light bulb removed, since it was coming on frequently and causing panic visits to the garage by owners. As per my manual, the check light will come on if the the catalytic converter is not functioning normally. So my guess is that there might be a sensor which monitors emission levels; this might be triggered off frequently if, say, the fuel quality is bad, causing the check light to come on.

But in adman77's case there might be a genuine problem, as he has done a number of mods to the car.

Last edited by rks : 30th July 2007 at 12:01.
Old 30th July 2007, 12:36   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
As per my manual, the check light will come on if the the catalytic converter is not functioning normally. So my guess is that there might be a sensor which monitors emission levels; this might be triggered off frequently if, say, the fuel quality is bad, causing the check light to come on.

The Cat con has to be removed for a free flow exhaust. You think this might be the problem?
Old 30th July 2007, 12:43   #14
Senior - BHPian

I think u need to "check engine".
Some mods of urs can't be reverted back so it is tough to go back to stock and check.
Old 30th July 2007, 14:40   #15
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by adman77 View Post
The Cat con has to be removed for a free flow exhaust. You think this might be the problem?
Quite possible. Here is what my manual says:

Quote:
"Check Engine" Engine Warning Light

This light illuminates when there is a malfunction of an exhaust gas related component and the system is not functioning properly, so that the exhaust gas regulation values are not satisfied....If this light illuminates while driving or does not illuminate when the ignition key is turned to the "ON" position, take your car to the nearest authorized Hyundai dealer...
It is not clear to me if the sensor that triggers the Check Engine warning light is upstream or downstream of the catalytic converter. If downstream, then removal of the Cat con could trigger this sensor, especially while idling at high rpm when the emission levels would be at the maximum.

The function of the Check Engine warning light could also vary from car to car; so you should probably check out what your manual says and also consult an authorized dealer on where exactly the sensor(s) are located and what is their function.

Last edited by rks : 30th July 2007 at 14:58.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks