Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th June 2007, 17:42   #16
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by manikjeet View Post
the price was for new parts and not second hand

at that time my car was new so didn't want to get second hand parts
Ooppss mistake became. i presumed it was for second hand parts, thats why i was so surprised. I agree its not worth spending money on.
Old 11th March 2014, 10:07   #17
BANNED

Re: Power Steering Install

I am having Ambassador car(1986 model but body changed to 2001 model) which is now under restoration. Now I am planning to install Power Steering (used one). Can anybody suggest me a good mechanic who works only on power steering at Hyderabad and which power steering kit will be suitable for my Amby.

Thanks
Old 18th March 2014, 14:58   #18
BANNED

Today while browsing on net I found some data in Pakistan Web Site related to Manual Steering to EPS conversion in a Maruti Alto. As per the members post used EPS can be fitted at the price between 5K to 8K. So anybody in India know whether this is possible in India specially in Hyderabad.

Thanks
Old 18th March 2014, 15:17   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mituadas View Post
Today while browsing on net I found some data in Pakistan Web Site related to Manual Steering to EPS conversion in a Maruti Alto. As per the members post used EPS can be fitted at the price between 5K to 8K. So anybody in India know whether this is possible in India specially in Hyderabad.

Thanks
Alto has an Electric Power steering and will have the same ECU/ECM as a non power steering variant as well.

Electric Power Steering Motor will be the vital component for this set-up that has to be mated with the existing steering rack system.

Along with the part plus the labor involved to install this, I am sure it surely may not cost you as less as 5-8K.
Old 19th March 2014, 02:28   #20
BHPian

Quote:
Today while browsing on net I found some data in Pakistan Web Site related to Manual Steering to EPS conversion in a Maruti Alto.
As per the members post used EPS can be fitted at the price between 5K to 8K.
So anybody in India know whether this is possible in India specially in Hyderabad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by paragsachania View Post
Alto has an Electric Power steering and will have the same ECU/ECM as a non power steering variant as well.
Electric Power Steering Motor will be the vital component for this set-up that has to be mated with the existing steering rack system.
Along with the part plus the labor involved to install this, I am sure it surely may not cost you as less as 5-8K.
Hi MituaDas,
The MGP spreadsheet that can be found on Team-Bhp lists a "Power Steering Kit" for the Alto.
The part number is 99000M24120-346 & the cost listed is ~ Rs.46,000.
Incidentally, there's a similar "kit" listed for the Wagon-R too ( part number is 99000M24120-327 & cost ~ Rs.37,200 ).
These kits are meant for upgrading the Lx versions for the Alto & Wagon-R with power steering.
I recently upgraded my 13-year old Vx Alto with one of the above EPS kits.
It really didn't go to plan at first due to A) the Alto being available with both the F8D & F10D engines, & B) my haste !
I had to get an EPS compatible ECM at an extra cost of ~ Rs.12,000 for the "kit" to work.
As mentioned by ParagSachania, this is not something that can be accomplished in 5K to 8K, at least with brand new MGP parts.
Will post a detailed "report" in a few days regarding the Vx to Vxi conversion process.
The EPS itself has been working great in my car for the past couple of months, almost as if it rolled out of the factory with one

Last edited by im_srini : 19th March 2014 at 02:30.
Old 19th March 2014, 10:34   #21
BANNED

I am talking about used Power steering Kit not new one. I got a quotation from Delhi used part dealer for Wagon R 15K. I am searching in Hyderabad. If any one know any genuine mechanic/Used part dealer whom I can trust.

Any way I will fix this unit in my Ambassador so buying new unit is not within my budget. So anybody has any Idea about this conversion please let me know.

Thanks

S. Das
Old 19th March 2014, 11:27   #22
BHPian

Quote:
I got a quotation from Delhi used part dealer for Wagon R 15K.
So anybody has any Idea about this conversion please let me know.
Hi MituaDas,

The EPS "Kit" for the Alto consists of 3 parts:

Power Steering Install-mgp_pws_kit_1.jpg

This is a comparison of the manual & EPS steering columns used in the Alto.
You may need to modify the area behind the dash in your Amby due to the EPS motor.

Power Steering Install-alto_vx_steering_0.jpg

The EPS controller expects vehicle speed & engine RPM ( provided by the ECM ), otherwise it will not work as expected.
You'll need to figure out a way to do this on your Amby too.

Last edited by im_srini : 19th March 2014 at 11:34.
Old 20th March 2014, 04:26   #23
BHPian

Quote:
I am having Ambassador car(1986 model but body changed to 2001 model) which is now under restoration. Now I am planning to install Power Steering (used one). Can anybody suggest me a good mechanic who works only on power steering at Hyderabad and which power steering kit will be suitable for my Amby.

Thanks
Hope this thread will help you - http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...rakes-etc.html
Old 12th April 2018, 16:01   #24
BHPian

Do you need to change the steering pinion if you are planning to install a Hydraulic power steering? The car in question is Contessa. What other parts need to be 'changed' ? I emphasize on 'change' rather then add like you need to change the tie rods if you go for power steering.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks