Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 14th June 2007, 13:03   #1
BHPian

Need help for exhaust system(stock).

Hi guys, I have a 2001 Santro 1 litre. I had a free flow set up which is kind of worn out and i'm looking to revert to stock exhaust system. Problem is that when I got the free flow done, I did not retain the original headers or cat converter or anything .. But its done now.. anyways, can someone give me a list of parts that the exhaust system consist of. Should I buy original from Hyundai or are the parts available in market good enough? How much will the full system from Hyundai cost and how much will it cost in market? Do Stainless Steel headers make any difference if installed with stock system (Fuel Efficiency wise)? All replies are appreciated, thanks.
Old 14th June 2007, 14:55   #2
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepz View Post
Problem is that when I got the free flow done, I did not retain the original headers or cat converter or anything
What do u mean you did not retain the original headers?

Did you salvage those pipes or bend them as needed for the "new" headers?

BTW an exhaust system consists of :

1. Header
2. expansion chamber
3. intermediate pipes
4. Center muffler (some cars i guess)
5. cat con
6. end muffler

SS headers serve no special purpose except for good looks IMO. A new exhaust system from the manufacturer can cost quite a bit.... almost twice the cost of a full free flow.

Get one from some chor bazar. That would be the cheapest option.
Old 14th June 2007, 15:15   #3
Senior - BHPian

Why are you going back to the original setup, why not a free flow?
Old 14th June 2007, 15:19   #4
Team-BHP Support

If you are in Bombay now, take a round of Chor Bazaar. There is a totalled Santro (old version) whose exhaust can be salvaged I assume.
Old 14th June 2007, 15:44   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Hi all, thanks for the inputs.. I'm most of the time in indonesia, my sister drives my car now, so i thought that since free flow has become really old and if I have to change only then might as well go back to stock.. but other option is to get a free flow only, but as silent as possible.. maybe one that gives a low-mid range kick, but absolutely muted.. what do you think? do stainless steel headers last longer than normal ones? how much would it cost? Thanks again guys.
Old 14th June 2007, 15:48   #6
BHPian

Hi moralfibre , I wont be able to make it chor bazaar as i'm not in bombay. :-(

Hi aditya , actually I just assumed that when free flow is done the headers are changed.. ? are they?
Old 14th June 2007, 16:23   #7
Senior - BHPian

Deepz you better not think of buying the complete set from Hyundai, it might cost a bomb. OHC's complete set would cost around 35k. my cars exhaust was getting rusted after i heard the price i went for a ffe.

btw how long back you got the ffe fixed? the present one and who did it for you?
Old 14th June 2007, 16:33   #8
BHPian

Lohithrao, the FFE is over 2 years old.. Dont remember the guys name who did it.. was a friend of someone I know.. 35k for OHC is crazy man.. If costs are such then I guess FFE is still a better option.. Just wanted to know how much would stainless steel cost though..
Old 14th June 2007, 17:21   #9
Senior - BHPian

Now I know why I was asked to keep my original OE exhaust .

Quote:
Same question , why not get an FFE made again? If you want noise immunity then get it done as per your choice without a loud end can.

Quote:
actually I just assumed that when free flow is done the headers are changed.. ? are they?
Yes they are.

Try contacting these chaps also : AutoMECH Engineers
Old 14th June 2007, 17:33   #10
BHPian

@ lohithrao : 35k for full set up IS quite heavy man.. i dont remember the guys name who did it, he was someone a friend knew..

@ rjstyles69 : good thing you have kept your originals, as i've just learned, i should have done the same.. didn't know better at that time..oh well, we learn from our mistakes..

I've read a lot about viper being really good with exhausts, i'm just confused whether its 'viper' or 'v1p3r' .. they are 2 different people.. i guess i'll go to him for the FFE.. thanks a lot guys, really helped a lot..
Old 14th June 2007, 18:50   #11
Senior - BHPian

Yes its Viper who does exhaust, i got it done from him and happy with his job.
Old 14th June 2007, 21:44   #12
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Freeflow systems can be muted, but it will never be as quiet as a stock exhaust. The SS headers will be more durable than others.
Old 15th June 2007, 00:36   #13
BHPian

Hi Aza, i'm really keen on getting SS headers if cost is not too much.. how much do you think it should cost? under normal driving (no ripping) how long should normal headers last before needing replacement? Thanks..
Old 15th June 2007, 11:06   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepz View Post
Hi Aza, i'm really keen on getting SS headers if cost is not too much.. how much do you think it should cost? under normal driving (no ripping) how long should normal headers last before needing replacement? Thanks..
Depends on how you maintain it and also if you are in coastal area, then you will have to be little careful. should last you easy 2years atleast.
Old 15th June 2007, 16:16   #15
BHPian

Thats the problem, I live on mount mary, above band stand.. stuff gets rusted quite fast because of caostal area.. Thats why i'm interested in SS headers..

Most Viewed