Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 4th June 2008, 14:38   #31
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankyz View Post
interesting fact, so installing sunfilm on the rear glass is a NO NO ? Anyone who got it installed care to share their experince ? I was talking to some accessory people yesterday, one of them said don't install sunfilm on rear as it affects the defogger and it stops working while the other said they do it all the time without any issues...

any pointers?
There wont be any problems after installing film in rear windscreen.

Problem starts when you remove the sunfilm because of some reason.
Better not to install sunfilm if you are planning to remove it later.
Old 4th June 2008, 15:17   #32
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shankyz View Post
interesting fact, so installing sunfilm on the rear glass is a NO NO ? Anyone who got it installed care to share their experince ? I was talking to some accessory people yesterday, one of them said don't install sunfilm on rear as it affects the defogger and it stops working while the other said they do it all the time without any issues...

any pointers?
If you don't have a defogger on the rear glass, sun control film is fine.
If you do, then the film needs to be applied very carefully. What is even more important is that it be removed extra carefully if you intend changing the film.

My take: if you have a defogger, don't bother with sun control film on the rear glass.
Old 7th August 2009, 17:02   #33
BHPian

Djay gr8 to hear they replaced your rear windscreen.
In my opinion in the Indian context one cant do without films on the rear windscreen, even though we have day/night inside rear view mirrors. Firstly, the heat is too much and secondly drivers have a habit of driving on hi beam and keeping it that way in traffic stops too. :-(
So the best bet is to get installation & removal done by experts. This can be verified by asking a few questions prior to installation to gauge their knowledge.

OT: My dad always says that one should avoid changing teh front or rear windscreen unless absolutely essential as the fit & finish of a manual job comes nowhere near a factory fit. He also says water may leak inside in the monsoons. Can someone throw some light on this asnowadays they use really advanced adhesives et all...
Old 8th August 2009, 00:38   #34
Senior - BHPian

I studied the entire thread and it has thrown light on many unknown aspects but one query still remains, how to remove the film from the defogger area properly? I'm thinking of removing the same from i20 and the problem is that a local film has been used. I fear removal may cause damage and I'm thinking of using thinner/ petrol to remove residual film instead of blades.

What say?
Old 8th August 2009, 00:48   #35
Senior - BHPian

this is exactly the reason why one should have a branded film installed by professionals on all the glasses of the vehicle, including the rear windscreen with the defoggers!

branded films come off easily when you want to have them removed and they dont tamper with the defogger lines. its the scrapping done by the installer to remove the glue/adhesive of the film left on the glass causes the real damage.

there are defogger repair kits online which are not that effective, so one has to get their windscreen replaced!
Old 8th August 2009, 07:47   #36
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsk13 View Post
how to remove the film from the defogger area properly?
What say?
You can remove the sun films without damaging defogger lines. i would suggest you to visit any of the 3M authorised centre and ask those guys to remove and install a new one.
As sid pointed out, ask few questions before they start removing the film.
Old 11th December 2009, 11:24   #37
BHPian

Exactly what I was looking for!

I got the 3M filming done on my WagonR VXi (which does have a rear defogger) at the time of buying it, without any knowledge of all this info. It is working fine so far, no problems...

But with the new buy (probably SX4) I will think twice about filming the rear windscreen as apart from the defogger it also has the radio antenna... In fact Maruti accessories guy strictly advising against getting the rear windshield filmed... But what's the alternative some kind of sun shade?
Old 11th December 2009, 13:07   #38
Senior - BHPian

mrwalker, you can buy some fibre sun shade which are available at various stores. You can also install sunfilm but get it done from a reputed installer.
Old 5th September 2010, 23:51   #39
BHPian

Hi all,
I have a Xylo bought just 2 months back, with sunscreen film (from inside) installed by a popular store in my area. Few days back when I switched-on the rear defogger, I noticed that some areas were not being 'defogged' - i.e. I could make out that some filament line were missing.
Today I had been for my first service and brought this point to the technician. The technician after examining announced (and shown me too) that in some parts the conductive filament is rubbed-off - this is surely due to negligence by the film installer and happens while using the sqeezy to remove bubbled !! I was told that the only cure is to replace the glass - which would be somewhat 7000+. Immediately at the waiting lounge itself, I began my research. Many articles mentioned about using a 'conductive pen'. I came across the below products:

1) http://www.permatex.com/products/Aut...Repair_Kit.htm

OR (same as above) Permatex 15067 Quick Grid Rear Window Defogger Repair Kit < Automotive Parts < Car Electronics < Electronics : Automotive - Shop in the US from India @ 20North

this one sounds interesting and workable - pl comment

2) Anabond (I have written an email to them, lets see if they respond to my problem)

3) CircuitWriterTM Precision Pen silver-based 5 grams < Electronics : Misc. - Shop in the US from India @ 20North

does anyone have an experience on using such above mentioned products ? Aftermath reprinting of circuit is surely possible, thats what electronics all about - just unsure in case of this glass! Even if any of these work, my challenge would be to re-print the lines which the filmed glass.

[ btw, also came across alternative : TROPIcool Ceramic Heater HBA-09R | Tropicool ]

thanks,

Pranav
Old 12th October 2010, 23:41   #40
BHPian

this seems a dead thread, but my problem exists !
got info: Anabond isnt suitable in such scenario.

anybody else, who can bring value ?
Old 13th October 2010, 15:01   #41
Senior - BHPian

Repairing is possible but not suggested because for repairing first you need to remove an already installed sunfilm. Removing an installed sunfilm should be done by an experienced installer.

I would suggest you to talk to sunfilm installer and then to sunfilm company.
Since yours is a brand new car, damage to defogger lines can happen only in two cases: During installation of sunfilm or during removal.
Remember that if an installation is done by a person whom sunfilm company has certified/authorised, it becomes responsibility of company if that person damages any of the vehicles parts (like windshield, defogger, seat covers etc)

Last edited by djay99 : 13th October 2010 at 15:02.
Old 13th October 2010, 15:51   #42
BHPian

@pcpranav -
I know this not a 'solution', but just a perspective.

What has happened has happened.
You cant undo it, and it wont be fixed for free/cheap either since the damage is done.

When it is only certain patches that are not working - I'd rather you just let it be, than trying to fix it up.

You are never going to use the defogger in Mumbai anyways for sure.
Let a few days go by and you'll forget that your car has a defogger to start with, in this town
Old 13th October 2010, 16:23   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
You are never going to use the defogger in Mumbai anyways for sure
He may require it when he goes out of mumbai.
I have always felt need of defogger in my getz when it rains. I had it in my chevy spark with a rear wiper and i miss this feature.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jigbarai View Post
Let a few days go by and you'll forget that your car has a defogger to start with, in this town
Funny quote
Old 18th October 2010, 16:53   #44
Senior - BHPian

hey Guys, I was just wondering if there is a way of finding out the damage to the Rear Defogger?
What I mean by this is, if its a bright sunny day, I have my car parked at the basement, what can I do to check if the defogger is working? How can I get the "Mist" formation on the rear glass to check the Defogger?
Old 18th October 2010, 20:53   #45
Senior - BHPian

Generally rear windows fog up when the moisture content inside the car is high and the temperature of the rear glass is low(condensate forms on the rear window)

So you need to increase the moisture content inside the car(rear area) and keep the rear window cool from outside(Pour cold/icy water from outside or something)!

Most Viewed