Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th June 2007, 14:49   #1
BHPian

Holux GPS receivers

Hi all,

Let me introduce myself, we are the countrywide exclusive distributors of Houlux branded GPS devices in India.
Currently we sell all models of Holux GPS receiver in India. Expecting the exclusive car navigation system in a month time which is capable of working in 60+ indian cities as well as the highways.
Old 15th June 2007, 15:49   #2
Team-BHP Support

Welcome Nishad to Team-BHP,

But kindly stop short of advertising your products here. We don't allow any kind of commerical activities.
Old 15th June 2007, 21:08   #3
Senior - BHPian

License for GPS

Is the license issue for GPS solved now? Last year I had a Garmin brought in from abroad and someone told me you actually need a license to use it. I found out that while that is true, there is no official system of obtaining a GPS license in India. So going strictly by the rule you can't use a GPS in India.
There was a lot of confusion on this issue.
Are those confusions gone now? Are you officially importing GPS in India? How does customs classify it? What are the duties?
Thanks and regards
Sudipto
Old 15th June 2007, 21:50   #4
Team-BHP Support

Hi nishad.hameed,

How about telling us something about yourself as well....

Welcome to TBHP
cya
R
Old 18th June 2007, 11:14   #5
BHPian

There is no such license required now. There was a link somewhere on the net clarifying it, have to search for it (but remember reading it).

I had got a garmin receiver from US too. no problems in customs.
Old 18th June 2007, 11:18   #6
BHPian

There is no license problems for GPS in India right now. We are importing all types of gps products including GPS receivers and GPS navigation devices without any issues. The customs people may ask you for a technical write-up of the items on the first shipment. There are no probelms if the next shipment is coming on the same IE license. The customs duty is like 34.75% max. I think this is little high .

GPS car navigators are going to take the Indian car industry soon.
Old 18th June 2007, 11:59   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudipto-S-Team View Post
Last year I had a Garmin brought in from abroad and someone told me you actually need a license to use it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sks_Biker View Post
I had got a garmin receiver from US too. no problems in customs.
How are you guys managing for maps? Are there Garmin maps available for India?

I guess we need to start a separate thread for GPS (under the ICE section perhaps? Finding directions in India provides more entertainment than information lol) rather than messing up the "Introductions". @sys_whiz, @abhi182, @ddawg, @ankur etc. have described Car PC installs under DIY, but those are from a different p-o-v.

What say you, amigos?
Old 18th June 2007, 12:03   #8
BHPian

even maps are available in India. I can source 60+ indian city maps, that too most accurate. Unavailability is the old story.
Old 18th June 2007, 12:56   #9
Senior - BHPian

Please type "GPS license India" in google and hit search. The first item is an interview of the Wireless Advisor to the Government of India on this issue where he clarifies that yes technically you do need a license to use a GPS receiver in India. The interview came out in a magazine called Coordinates - India's only magazine on positioning, navigation etc. But I agree that yes, the interview happend two years ago and as of last year when I called up the office of the Wireless Advisor, I was told that it is true that you need a license to use it. I don't know if it has been sorted out. I couldn't for the life of me find out how to obtain this licence.
We are lucky that the government is not implementing this ridiculous rule to arrest us.
The issue is, as per the Indian Telegraph Act you need a license to use any radio frequency. Now, some items are exempted through government notification like the humble radio (a couple of decades back you indeed needed one - old timers might remember) or certain remote control devices or some networking devices. The notifications clarify the frequency that is being exempted. There is no such exemptions for GPS so far, therefore by default it means you need a license.
It is quite possible that Customs officials are either unaware of all this or are deliberately shutting their eyes. Anyway, the more handsets come in the better - there will be pressure on the government to do something about this ridiculous rule.
Sudipto

DerAlte
Kumar uses an in-vehicle GPS and some maps. Get his feedback also. My Foretrex is not equipped to take maps. It's a very basic handset. Basically just for fun. But yes you can go to a jungle with it and trace back your steps without getting lost.
Garmin doesn't have maps for India. Check out their website.
And I agree that we do need a section on GPS.
Sudipto

Last edited by tsk1979 : 18th June 2007 at 13:07.
Old 18th June 2007, 13:09   #10
Team-BHP Support

The telegraph act talks about "Transmissions" not reception. GPS receiver is just a receiver.
But better to be safe than sorry. I won't be surprised if somebody is booked for using GPS as a "Terrorist".
There are many rules which are not enforced, if they start enforcing those rules.....
Anyways this rule is not being enforced as you can import a GPS receiver after paying the customs duty.
Old 18th June 2007, 13:18   #11
BHPian

The restriction was before three years. This particular restriction has been taken back by Government of India, especially by Survey of India department in early 2005's. You may refer to the Import export policy notifications from valid from 2005 to 2009 december under the section/catagory 8526, all the equipements other than GPS and DGPS is still restricted. The DGFT website clearly shows that import of GPS and DGPS equipments are free from restrictions.

Now, In India, you can freely use GPS recievers or GPS navigators or even GPS tracking units without any requriement of lincense.
Old 18th June 2007, 13:22   #12
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the clarification Nishad. That information clears a lot of things.
Old 18th June 2007, 13:43   #13
BHPian

@nishaad: Do you have any info on maps availability for Garmin receivers also?

@DerAlte: Currently I'm in Malaysia and I there are free maps available for Malaysia and Singapore. Its a community based project and works perfectly.

GPS Maps of Malaysia & Singapore

I wish there was something like that in India too
Old 18th June 2007, 13:49   #14
BHPian

I am using a simple bluetooth GPS receiver (got it from chipsilicon in pune) and simply pair it with my pocket PC and use it with MapKing pro . The Delhi map they have is pretty detailed.
Old 18th June 2007, 14:01   #15
BHPian

boss, there is maps for garmin too in India. Tell me which are the maps you are interested in. I mean the cities.

That sounds a wounderful concept. Google is trying to make it free in future.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks