Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th May 2022, 20:50   #1
BHPian

Additional NVH insulation for my car | Lot of engine & tyre noise in the cabin

I have the Toyota Innova Crysta 2021 Diesel AT. I hear a lot of engine and tyre noise inside the cabin. I have Michelin Primacy 4 tyres for the car. Is there a way to add additional insulation to the car to greatly reduce these noise? How can it be done and who in Chennai can do this perfectly?
gopalnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th May 2022, 22:31   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Additional NVH insulation for my car | Lot of engine & tyre noise in the cabin

Innova has exposed wheel arches, which greatly contribute to the road noise. For a quieter ride, you’ll have to get the entire floor damped. You can also consider adding damping insulation on the doors and roof as well. Depends on how much you want to spend.

Refer DBHPian LeoShashi’s excellent thread on damping his XL6.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 12th July 2022 at 17:37. Reason: Typo, and adding link
Shreyans_Jain is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 29th May 2022, 22:50   #3

re: Additional NVH insulation for my Innova Crysta? Lot of engine & tyre noise in the cabin

Check this thread. You might have to add additional dampening material or more layers
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/car-e...er-thread.html (The Damping Material and Sound Deadener Thread)
Mumbgamer is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 14:03   #4
ike
BHPian

re: Additional NVH insulation for my Innova Crysta? Lot of engine & tyre noise in the cabin

If you are in Chennai check out Gannu's GT TDI . I sat in it after it was damped and it was as silent as the graveyard. Maybe you could check out Gannu's ride too.
ike is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th May 2022, 21:11   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

re: Additional NVH insulation for my car | Lot of engine & tyre noise in the cabin

You've only just gotten the Innova, so with time, you might get used to the engine sound.

As BHPians suggested, damping is your 2nd best friend. The real best friend (in noisy cars to me) is the volume knob of the audio system. Put on your favourite tracks and crank the volume up. It's why rattles never bother me, they are always drowned out.
GTO is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 31st May 2022, 08:36   #6
Senior - BHPian

Innova’s engine sounds like a tractor with the Toyota oil. Get a good synthetic that matches the spec and the noise is considerably damped.
hserus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 17:51   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You've only just gotten the Innova, so with time, you might get used to the engine sound.

As BHPians suggested, damping is your 2nd best friend. The real best friend (in noisy cars to me) is the volume knob of the audio system. Put on your favourite tracks and crank the volume up. It's why rattles never bother me, they are always drowned out.
I bought this car in Feb 2021 but I can't get used to this sound till now
gopalnt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 18:24   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Innova’s engine sounds like a tractor with the Toyota oil. Get a good synthetic that matches the spec and the noise is considerably damped.
Toyota BS6 engines now get only Synthetic oil. Mineral oil is not an option.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopalnt View Post
I bought this car in Feb 2021 but I can't get used to this sound till now
Add damping sheets, you can do floor damping too. Get multiple layers of underbody coat for wheel wells. Also consider adding thicker mats. All these will improve NVH to some extent but don't expect total silence inside, 2.4 mill is on the noisier side, especially at higher revs.

Last edited by PrideRed : 1st June 2022 at 18:28.
PrideRed is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 18:45   #9
BHPian

If you want much better NVH change the car.

Improving NVH of a car is very tricky. One way is to get better tires . But since you already have Primacy so that is already taken care of. In my experience damping only slightly improves NVH. Under body anti-rust coating helps a little bit too. If you can get double laminated windshield ( Like Yaris had. Acoustic glass in Toyota parlance ) that will also help.

I distinctly remember test driving Crysta just after test driving Marazzo. And the poor NVH of Crysta was very evident after driving the quite Marazzo. This was a bit of a surprise for me considering how expensive the Crysta is.
Old 12th July 2022, 20:37   #10
Senior - BHPian

I’m driving my 2.8 Auto Crysta for the past 4 years, and nearing 80k km.

While I do agree that the noise is high inside the cabin, what I’ve also noticed is that at a speed of 100-110 km/hour and at 1500 rpm, it can be wonderfully quiet. Just that when you have to break and then accelerate again, it can be irritatingly noisy. I somehow got used to it I guess.
jkrishnakj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th July 2022, 20:53   #11
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopalnt View Post
I have the Toyota Innova Crysta 2021 Diesel AT. I hear a lot of engine and tyre noise inside the cabin.
Having been used to the super refined 1.6 CRDI motor in the Verna fluidic the engine noise in the 2.8 BS4 Crysta was one of the primary reasons (heavy steering being the other) I could not get myself to purchase one despite it ticking all the other boxes.

From my short test drive a few months back the 2.4 BS6 motor seemed a lot more quiet, refined and liveable though. For better NVH damping your doors followed by the floor should certainly help in quieting the cabin.
Old 13th July 2022, 00:43   #12
BHPian

Even the Honda City iDTEC 2014 sounds like a tractor. Tried synthetic oil, but nothing seems to work

Quote:
Originally Posted by hserus View Post
Innova’s engine sounds like a tractor with the Toyota oil. .
Old 12th February 2024, 16:45   #13
BHPian

I need a quiet place - How to dampen an EV

A bit of background:

I bought a cheap EV, the Tata Tiago. Having decided to hold onto my car (ownership is marred with niggles) - I'm thinking about improving the cabin experience. A silent cabin is something I love about the EV - after performance and running cost. I do listen to music during solo trips - just so that I don't fall asleep. The car comes with a nice speaker setup - and I'm not an audiophile; so don't think I'm upgrading my components.

Additional NVH insulation for my car | Lot of engine & tyre noise in the cabin-bed-car.jpg

What I'm planning:
  • Dampen the doors to reduce vibrations. Dampen the plastic panel and door. Hope to cut the rattles from the panel which are irritating when I'm not listening to something. There is also vibrations from the plastic panel at higher volume. Having an even more silent cabin would be an extra bonus.
  • Swap the stock tires with silent and comfort oriented ones to reduce road noise at higher speeds and interlock paved sections. Thinking about retaining stock size. Continental CC6 sounds like a nice pick and might help with ride comfort too.
Would love some advice and different PoV from experienced members. I'm totally clueless about expenses and materials/brands to go for; Also not sure if this is even going to help with rattles. I had complained about rattles to service and they didn't do anything to arrest it. They did mention that they have reseated the panels - perhaps that is how it is. Currently I continue to push the door panel with my elbow to avoid irritating rattles when I'm not on smooth tarmac. Maybe it's my OCD but I need that rattle to go away. If someone thinks I need to get psych help - I can consider that too . I love listening to epic music (trailer music) and visualizing my own movie scenes. If not in the mood, I listen to 90's or 80's melodies (Tamil/Malayalam). I turn up the volume if I'm driving alone, and that is when the door panel vibrations get annoying. This is not an issue when I'm travelling with family since we either talk or play some melodies in low volume. If I need to think hard about something - a silent space helps. After getting the Tiago EV - I have started to go for random drives just to clear my mind and think about stuff.

I hope the tire upgrade would improve grip, reduce the squeals (cornering) and road noise. What I'm not sure of is whether I'm increasing the chances of a puncture or sidewall cut by picking comfort oriented tires. The Tiago EV doesn't come with a spare and has a puncture repair kit instead. Also, I'm not going to get a lot for selling the current tires - they have only run 4K. Perhaps it's prudent to just clock some more kilometers and swap it at the 20K mark. I don't want to consider damping the floor/roof etc. since that is going to be significantly expensive.

Maybe I shouldn't mod the car since I'm already having too many issues with the car - but I think I'm holding onto the car. Mods like these won't void any warranties, I suppose.

If members from Kochi/Kottayam can give me some solid recommendations for places to get this done - I'll be thankful. I have seen recommendations for the usual spots (Galaxy/Emperor); but not sure if I can get a quality install in popular places. I'm a bit fussy about installation quality and a rushed job might give me sleepless nights. I have found some alternatives (Stereotone, Autovity) but not sure if they are really good. I don't trust Google reviews - since most of them seem to be fake (review from people with just 1 review etc.). My brother is a customer of Autovity and has good things to say about them - but he didn't do damping there.
Old 12th February 2024, 18:07   #14
Distinguished - BHPian

re: I need a quiet place - How to dampen an EV

When it comes to rattles and vibrations you to identify why the door or bits of trim rattle/vi rate.

They might just be a bit loose or poorly mounted, poorly adjusted. Has any of the trim ever been removed? E.g. to install speakers or other after market kit. If so, that is almost a dead give away for some broken or misalignment fasteners.

If trim is properly fastened it should not vibrate or rattle. Some times it flexes too much, in which case it might help to glue something to the rear in order to strengthen it.

Good luck

Jeroen
Jeroen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th February 2024, 18:41   #15
BHPian

re: I need a quiet place - How to dampen an EV

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen View Post
Has any of the trim ever been removed? E.g. to install speakers or other after market kit. If so, that is almost a dead give away for some broken or misalignment fasteners.
Not as far as I know. The car is still fairly new - 6 months old. I had complained about it during my periodic service and they removed the trim to check everything and put it back. It is still there although a bit muffled now.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks