Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories


Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 6th June 2022, 21:40   #1
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 6
Thanked: 137 Times
Default Aesthetically modified my 9-year old Audi A6

Hello everyone,

It has been a long time since I was planning to get something substantially changed on my Audi A6 2013 2.0 TDI.

Recently, I finally made up my mind and decided to go for a full-body repaint including changing the front bumper, vents and grille. The original colour of the car was Moonlight Blue, I got it changed to Tango Red which is mostly seen on the RS series Audis.

I am from Mumbai and have been following Autorounders since 2017. Even though at the back of my mind, I knew that I will be giving my car to them and no one else, I still thought of doing a bit of market research before making this decision. And boy, I wasn't wrong. They have done a fabulous job on my car and while taking the delivery it felt like she is straight out of the showroom.

The entire job took about 25 days from start to end. The team shared regular updates with me via WhatsApp and whenever they failed to give me any update, I used to go there by myself to check the progress of the work.

The paint material that they used is German Glasurit Paint and if you are looking to get your car repainted, I wouldn't look anywhere else. The finish and quality is mind-boggling. Although a little more expensive than other paint materials available in the market, Glasruit is absolutely worth it. The callipers and alloy wheels were also painted in the same material.

I was initially sceptical about getting such an old German machine aesthetically changed and investing a huge amount of money, but now I don't regret my decision one bit. I would never want to sell this car now! There are certain performance upgrades that I am planning for the near future, but that calls for another micro-post.

Thank you for your time! I am sharing some photos of the makeover.
Attached Thumbnails
Aesthetically modified my 9-year old Audi A6-dsc03397-copy-copy-copy.jpg  

Aesthetically modified my 9-year old Audi A6-dsc03397-copy-copy.jpg  

Aesthetically modified my 9-year old Audi A6-dsc03397-copy.jpg  

Aesthetically modified my 9-year old Audi A6-dsc03397.jpg  

bigbearddriver is offline   (101) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 07:46   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support
 
GTO's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Bombay
Posts: 65,450
Thanked: 252,833 Times
Default Re: Aesthetically modified my 9-year old Audi A6

Completely transformed your A6 . Congrats on a job well done. I am also a fan of holding onto cars for long, and continuously improving them with time. Your A6 now looks better than a new A6 . Best part is, because of Audi's evolutionary design language, it looks just as contemporary as a 2022 A6. The layman will be hard-pressed to tell any difference between the different A6 generations (even A4s look all the same to me).

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbearddriver View Post
Recently, I finally made up my mind and decided to go for a full-body repaint including changing the front bumper, vents and grille. The original colour of the car was Moonlight Blue, I got it changed to Tango Red which is mostly seen on the RS series Audis.
Do share the costs and work-in-process images.

I love the red colour and am certain your car is a head-turner on the road. But the one thing that worries me about a strip down to change the colour is that, the factory fit & finish is gone. Hence, I usually go for an overcoat (same colour) rather than change the shade. What's your experience been?

Last edited by GTO : 8th June 2022 at 08:26.
GTO is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 08:44   #3
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Delhi
Posts: 60
Thanked: 120 Times
Default Re: Aesthetically modified my 9-year old Audi A6

This looks really nice. The red really augments the beauty of A6.
I have one question though. A full body color in a different tone, wouldn’t this warrant a change in the RC as well? And if you have got it done, could you share the process of getting it updated. The only reason I don’t entertain the thoughts of repainting my car in a different color is to avoid hassles related to RC updates.
SinghShu is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 08:58   #4
Senior - BHPian
 
jkrishnakj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 1,458
Thanked: 3,012 Times
Default Re: Aesthetically modified my 9-year old Audi A6

Such a cool and nice job! Well
Done. The car looks terrific in Red now.

What will be super useful is to learn how to manage the RTO formalities.
jkrishnakj is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 09:37   #5
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 480
Thanked: 605 Times
Default Re: Aesthetically modified my 9-year old Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
What will be super useful is to learn how to manage the RTO formalities.
The red looks lovely & sporty.

Yes, very interested to know what procedure you will follow with the RTO for RC as the original colour is mentioned on the RC card.

Your success in the above will benefit many. Good Luck !
rpunwani is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 09:40   #6
Senior - BHPian
 
JoshMachine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Pune
Posts: 1,100
Thanked: 4,586 Times
Default Re: Aesthetically modified my 9-year old Audi A6

Great job there
Your A6 looks totally transformed, gorgeous color!

Any particular reason to get it repainted or was it about just doing the classic mid-life makeover

Going ahead, what about the maintenance & paint warranty from the detailing vendor? PPF on the cards?

Last edited by JoshMachine : 8th June 2022 at 09:42.
JoshMachine is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 12:33   #7
BHPian
 
lordtottuu's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: MEL & MAA
Posts: 49
Thanked: 223 Times
Default Re: Aesthetically modified my 9-year old Audi A6

What an incredible makeover! The car looks brand new. In this day and age of people letting cars go after 4-5 years, showering this much love on a decade old machine warms my grumpy, old man heart. Well done!

As others have mentioned, we'd really appreciate the ballpark figures of how much this costs as well as the paperwork to file with the RTO.
lordtottuu is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 14:25   #8
BHPian
 
LOL_FWD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: KA 19/ KA 03
Posts: 152
Thanked: 416 Times
Default Re: Aesthetically modified my 9-year old Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbearddriver View Post
I would never want to sell this car now! There are certain performance upgrades that I am planning for the near future, but that calls for another micro-post.

Thank you for your time! I am sharing some photos of the makeover.
Great stuff! The paintjob has taken ages off the car. If i may suggest, consider upgrading the wheels, rear bumper cover and taillights to complete the RS7ish makeover. It would be ideal if you could find a set of take-offs from an RS7 (I'm not very sure on the tyre fitment but the lug pattern and PCD should be the same).

Happy motoring!

Name:  RS7.png
Views: 389
Size:  402.9 KB
LOL_FWD is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 16:07   #9
BHPian
 
GForceEnjoyer's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Hyderabad
Posts: 230
Thanked: 1,213 Times
Default Re: Aesthetically modified my 9-year old Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbearddriver View Post
I was initially sceptical about getting such an old German machine aesthetically changed and investing a huge amount of money, but now I don't regret my decision one bit. I would never want to sell this car now! There are certain performance upgrades that I am planning for the near future, but that calls for another micro-post.
This is incredibly tasteful, good job. I would love to hear about the performance upgrades.
GForceEnjoyer is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 17:55   #10
BHPian
 
Join Date: Nov 2021
Location: Pune
Posts: 80
Thanked: 207 Times
Default Re: Aesthetically modified my 9-year old Audi A6

Congratulations on the Mid life makeover of your beautiful A6, I have done a similar job on my Aveo, but the result looks much better in your case.
The job is just fabulous, now you can keep this for at least 5 more years without getting bored. Please share the costs involved too.
Here’s to wishing you many more miles with this beauty.
Cheers
W16Rocks
W16rocks is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 18:23   #11
Senior - BHPian
 
gururajrv's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: KA 01-09
Posts: 1,074
Thanked: 1,973 Times
Default Re: Aesthetically modified my 9-year old Audi A6

Damn, the car looks stunning in RED! Perhaps, Christmas came in too early for you and the Santa is looking great in RED

May be a good set of alloys finished in gloss black would enhance the visual appeal further? Get a remap done too to complement the overall upgrades done. Your car could go into Tastefully Modified Cars section as well
gururajrv is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 18:30   #12
BHPian
 
irdevanand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: chennai
Posts: 323
Thanked: 790 Times
Default Re: Aesthetically modified my 9-year old Audi A6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbearddriver View Post

Recently, I finally made up my mind and decided to go for a full-body repaint including changing the front bumper, vents and grille. I am from Mumbai and have been following Autorounders since 2017.
This is not a simple post... it is a lesson in automotive up-keeping + financial management !! Brilliant job. I wish this was done in Brotomotiv style with a youtube video. Would be easily one of the best makeover videos with millions of views. I would have watched dozen times myself. Loved it to that extent.

Regards
Dev
irdevanand is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 18:42   #13
BHPian
 
Porcupine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 584
Thanked: 1,246 Times
Default Re: Aesthetically modified my 9-year old Audi A6

Wow this is a brilliant job! The beauty of the upgrades is that it's not too over the top or even have the slightest bit of a modified/after-market look. It looks more "stock+", for lack of a better term. Love the paint job as well. Hope you enjoy it for many more years!
Porcupine is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 19:17   #14
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 6
Thanked: 137 Times
Default

Sharing some more information as requested by many members. I am so glad that this makeover is being appreciated. First of all, I would like to thank everyone for your words, little bit of recognition from a lot of automobile enthusiasts goes a long way!

Ownership details

I have not owned this car for 9 years. I bought it back almost a year ago. My initial idea was to drive this car for a couple of years and then flip it for an other pre-owned German car. But I fell in love with it. I took a financial decision which made more sense to me. Rather than upgrading the car and spending a difference of at least 8-10 lakhs, I chose to keep this car and modify it. It definitely gave me a better feeling than upgrading to an other newer model, it could have been a 5 series or a 2017/18 A6, maybe. The car is mechanically amazing and I will write a detailed thread sometime later on the ownership experience. A lot of this also depends upon pure luck though and I did gamble a little.

Modifcation Cost

1. Painting the car using German Glasurit Paint: INR 95,000
2. Extra cost for changing the base colour from Moonlight Blue to Tango Red: INR 25,000
3. RS6 Grille & Bumper kit (Aftermarket): INR 55,000
4. Calliper Painting: INR 4,000 (All 4)
5. Alloy Wheels Painting: INR 10,800 (All 4)
6. Fender Repairing: INR 2,000
7. Bumper Bracket Repairing: INR 1,100
8. Headlight Polishing (Single): INR 2,000
9. Wheel Hub Cap (One was damaged): INR 1,050
10. New Audi Logo for the rear bumper: INR 2,500 (The front logo came along with the bumper kit and the old one was looking dull, so I thought of changing it too)
11. New Audi A6 Logo: INR 1.800
12. New Number Plates: INR 1,100

Total: INR 2,01,350 + 18% GST.

RTO Process

1. It is not illegal to change the colour of your car as long as you take necessary permissions from the RTO.
2. The process is complete but subjudice, and I will write more about it once I get the new copy of my RC card delivered to me.

Thank you, GTO! I am glad that many members are appreciating this modification job. As requested, I am sharing some work-in-progress photos.

At one point, this is how the car looked. Almost gave me a mini heart attack, haha!

Aesthetically modified my 9-year old Audi A6-whatsapp-image-20220608-7.21.23-pm.jpeg

Here are some more work-in-progress photos:

Aesthetically modified my 9-year old Audi A6-20220512_090913.jpg

Aesthetically modified my 9-year old Audi A6-whatsapp-image-20220608-7.28.17-pm-1.jpeg

Aesthetically modified my 9-year old Audi A6-whatsapp-image-20220608-7.28.17-pm.jpeg

Aesthetically modified my 9-year old Audi A6-whatsapp-image-20220608-7.28.18-pm-1.jpeg

Aesthetically modified my 9-year old Audi A6-whatsapp-image-20220608-7.28.18-pm-2.jpeg

Aesthetically modified my 9-year old Audi A6-whatsapp-image-20220608-7.28.18-pm-3.jpeg

Aesthetically modified my 9-year old Audi A6-whatsapp-image-20220608-7.28.18-pm.jpeg

Aesthetically modified my 9-year old Audi A6-whatsapp-image-20220608-7.28.19-pm-1.jpeg

Attachment 2318242

Aesthetically modified my 9-year old Audi A6-whatsapp-image-20220608-7.28.19-pm.jpeg

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Completely transformed your A6 . Congrats on a job well done. I am also a fan of holding onto cars for long, and continuously improving them with time. Your A6 now looks better than a new A6 . Best part is, because of Audi's evolutionary design language, it looks just as contemporary as a 2022 A6. The layman will be hard-pressed to tell any difference between the different A6 generations (even A4s look all the same to me).



Do share the costs and work-in-process images.

I love the red colour and am certain your car is a head-turner on the road. But the one thing that worries me about a strip down to change the colour is that, the factory fit & finish is gone. Hence, I usually go for an overcoat (same colour) rather than change the shade. What's your experience been?

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 8th June 2022 at 19:45. Reason: back to back posts merged. Removed your quote as it is not needed.
bigbearddriver is offline   (24) Thanks
Old 8th June 2022, 19:47   #15
Newbie
 
Join Date: May 2022
Location: Mumbai
Posts: 6
Thanked: 137 Times
Default Re: Aesthetically modified my 9-year old Audi A6

Thank you, everyone. As mentioned, I will be writing about the RTO procedure soon. It is currently under progress and I wouldn't want to jump the gun before receiving the hard copy of the new RC card.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SinghShu View Post
This looks really nice. The red really augments the beauty of A6.
I have one question though. A full body color in a different tone, wouldn’t this warrant a change in the RC as well? And if you have got it done, could you share the process of getting it updated. The only reason I don’t entertain the thoughts of repainting my car in a different color is to avoid hassles related to RC updates.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkrishnakj View Post
Such a cool and nice job! Well
Done. The car looks terrific in Red now.

What will be super useful is to learn how to manage the RTO formalities.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpunwani View Post
The red looks lovely & sporty.

Yes, very interested to know what procedure you will follow with the RTO for RC as the original colour is mentioned on the RC card.

Your success in the above will benefit many. Good Luck !
Thanks, man! The car had some minor scratches and the previous owner had not matched the colours on repainted panels properly. The car previously looked great as well, but I want to keep it for an other 5-7 years, hence the modification.

Autorounders is very supportive in terms of warranty and they have promised to provide all sorts of support for a year. There are certain finishing issues that I am currently facing, very minor to be honest, they have promised to solve soon. I am supposed to drop my car there, which is a tough thing for me to do currently as this is my daily.

PPF is currently not on the cards, but I have bought a Ceramic Coating Kit that Autorounders will apply for me with a round of polishing. Planning to do this after monsoon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
Great job there
Your A6 looks totally transformed, gorgeous color!

Any particular reason to get it repainted or was it about just doing the classic mid-life makeover

Going ahead, what about the maintenance & paint warranty from the detailing vendor? PPF on the cards?
Thanks, man! To let you know, I bought this car just a year ago and plan to keep it for as long as possible. At least 5-6 years for sure I have written a separate post with the detailed costing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lordtottuu View Post
What an incredible makeover! The car looks brand new. In this day and age of people letting cars go after 4-5 years, showering this much love on a decade old machine warms my grumpy, old man heart. Well done!

As others have mentioned, we'd really appreciate the ballpark figures of how much this costs as well as the paperwork to file with the RTO.
Thanks, man! Currently, I am not planning for any other makeovers. But changing the rear bumper and tail lights is definitely on the books for the future. The idea is to make it look like an RS6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LOL_FWD View Post
Great stuff! The paintjob has taken ages off the car. If i may suggest, consider upgrading the wheels, rear bumper cover and taillights to complete the RS7ish makeover. It would be ideal if you could find a set of take-offs from an RS7 (I'm not very sure on the tyre fitment but the lug pattern and PCD should be the same).

Happy motoring!

Thanks, man! I am planning Stage 1, but after a few months maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GForceEnjoyer View Post
This is incredibly tasteful, good job. I would love to hear about the performance upgrades.
Haha, thanks a lot. The idea is to not get bored. I am hopeful that I won't. My aim would to be own this car for as long as possible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by W16rocks View Post
Congratulations on the Mid life makeover of your beautiful A6, I have done a similar job on my Aveo, but the result looks much better in your case.
The job is just fabulous, now you can keep this for at least 5 more years without getting bored. Please share the costs involved too.
Here’s to wishing you many more miles with this beauty.
Cheers
W16Rocks
Thanks a lot, haha! I personally don't like wheels in gloss black, hence I got them repainted in metallic grey. Stage 1 remap is on the books for the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gururajrv View Post
Damn, the car looks stunning in RED! Perhaps, Christmas came in too early for you and the Santa is looking great in RED

May be a good set of alloys finished in gloss black would enhance the visual appeal further? Get a remap done too to complement the overall upgrades done. Your car could go into Tastefully Modified Cars section as well
Thanks a lot, man! Appreciate it. Autorounders is going to post a video on their YouTube and Instagram soon. Not sure when.

Quote:
Originally Posted by irdevanand View Post
This is not a simple post... it is a lesson in automotive up-keeping + financial management !! Brilliant job. I wish this was done in Brotomotiv style with a Youtube video. Would be easily one of the best makeover videos with millions of views. I would have watched dozen times myself. Loved it to that extent.

Regards
Dev
Thanks a lot, man! That was the whole point. I didn't want the car to lose it's stock charm. Glad that it is being noticed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcupine View Post
Wow this is a brilliant job! The beauty of the upgrades is that it's not too over the top or even have the slightest bit of a modified/after-market look. It looks more "stock+", for lack of a better term. Love the paint job as well. Hope you enjoy it for many more years!
bigbearddriver is offline   (6) Thanks
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2022, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks