Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2022, 11:28   #1
BHPian

Ceramic coating for a 5-year old car?

Hi All
I have been thinking about applying ceramic coating for my pre owned 2017 Crysta. The rationale behind the thinking is as follows
1. Have a covered parking in basement but the area is very dusty. Car gets covered with a fine layer of dust if not used in 2 days
2. Had put car cover but is very inconvenient to put on and take off everyday
3. Protect the car paint and provide a shining effect as if new

Considering the above, i had researched on PPF, Teflon coating and ceramic and have concluded that ceramic coating is the best VFM.

I need advise/help from folks on the following
1. Is my above assumption right? If not, let me know the best options
2. Indicative pricing if any one has done this recently
3. Good place to do ceramic coating in bangalore without burning a hole in the pocket
4. The car has 3 minor scratches and at least one deep scratch. Would this require to be repainted before the ceramic coating is done?
5. Any alternative options available
6. Pros and cons for doing such modification on a 5 year old car

Appreciate everyone for their help in advance.

Thanks
superchamp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 14:50   #2
SGK
BHPian

re: Ceramic coating for a 5-year old car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchamp View Post
Hi All

Thanks
For a moment I thought someone has written about my car. I have everything similar as mentioned in your post (Bangalore, car, parking space including dust)

I have recently got my car ceramic coating (GRAPHENE-BASED CERAMIC COATING) from Auto experts for INR 11,999 and I am happy with output.
I am sure all your minor scratches would be taken care, but not sure about the major one. The only pain point for me is I must clean the car instead of our regular car cleaner to maintain the shining.
SGK is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 29th July 2022, 21:50   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGK View Post
For a moment I thought someone has written about my car. I have everything similar as mentioned in your post (Bangalore, car, parking space including dust)
Dust has increased in our area due to the insane number of new c==buildings getting constructed.
Did you do the ceramic coating or teflon because the price quoted appears to be for teflon/graphene coating.
Can you elaborate the differences before and after the coating?
Old 30th July 2022, 17:39   #4
BHPian

Quote:
=superchamp;5368527

Thanks
Dear Brother,

First and foremost I would ask if you enjoy washing and polishing your car by yourself.

If YES then

Any ceramic coating available in Indian market would cost upward of Rs.20,000/- with maintenance every 6 months to 1 year. Cost of ceramic coating by professionals cost upwards to the sky.

My point is that i enjoy washing and polishing my car by myself, therefore I use the Meguiars Hybrid Spray Ceramic Wax on my car which lasts atleast 6 months, it is very easy to use.

Ceramic coating for a 5-year old car?-img_20220730_172724.jpg
Price is around Rs.1500/- and you have tons of videos of YouTube about how to use this product.

Regarding minor and deep scratches you'll most probably would have to get it repainted at any spray paint shop who can match the shade of touch-up with the rest of the car's paint.

Regards.
Sushil Pingua is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 11:56   #5
BHPian

Re: Ceramic coating for a 5-year old car?

Quote:
Originally Posted by superchamp View Post
I need advise/help from folks on the following
1. Is my above assumption right? If not, let me know the best options
2. Indicative pricing if any one has done this recently
3. Good place to do ceramic coating in bangalore without burning a hole in the pocket
4. The car has 3 minor scratches and at least one deep scratch. Would this require to be repainted before the ceramic coating is done?
6. Pros and cons for doing such modification on a 5 year old car
Thanks
1) If you want gloss at a lower budget, get a 2 step paint correction (compounding + polishing) without ceramic coating, same finish (gloss is a result of polishing paint to perfection for the most part.)

2) A quality pro coating from a good detailer will start from 25k+ any lower and something’s off.

3) No idea about Bangalore, I’m sure local members can help.

4) Any scratch where you can feel your nail dip is generally too deep to remove by wetsanding alone, the deep scratch will definitely need a spot repaint.

5) Yes, see 1) or you can do it yourself but you won’t get anywhere near the same results as it takes some time and a few dozen hours behind the machine polishing paint before you can even come close to professional results.

6) Self cleaning ability, long term paint protection that lasts well over 2 years, not weeks or 1-2 months, gloss and hydrophobic properties, adds 1-2 microns of thickness over your existing clearcoat, increases surface hardness to better resist wipe induced paint marring (you still need to take care when washing though), etc.

Last edited by AJ56 : 1st August 2022 at 11:58.
AJ56 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 15:50   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sushil Pingua View Post
Dear Brother,

Attachment 2339977
Price is around Rs.1500/- and you have tons of videos of YouTube about how to use this product.

Regards.
Thank you for the comment. I had actually tried a similar product like this on my other car, ertiga. The results were not encouraging and the effect lasted may be 3-4 weeks max. I didn't want my time and effort wasted this way and hence thought about a long term solution. I will check this product out and will try on my ertiga as a test mule.
superchamp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd August 2022, 15:22   #7

Hi,

I had Innova before, never got any treatment to the body. It was parked under shade, but not closed parking.

Even if parked for a week, dust will not effect the paint. Wash it with water and good car shampoo, do not use wet cloth cleaning.

Coating is individual preference, but sometimes painting is cheaper than coating.

Thank you
Ram35 is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks