Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 9th August 2022, 22:06   #31
BHPian

Re: Review | Osram LEDriving HL Premium | 6000 Kelvin | Hyundai Creta

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
2. I am planning to paste some thermal pads for heat absorption.
3. Last resort would be to punch 3 or 4 small holes using a drill bit in the dust cap to let the heat dissipate.
As far as I know, thermal paste are for transferring heat. It is good conductor of heat. It does not absorb or dissipate heat on its own. It transfer heat to an object which can dissipate heat efficiently. So it may not serve the solution you are looking for.

Punching holes in the headlight housing will likely let dust go in and spoil the reflector.

Sorry I can only point out problems, without offering any solution. I myself am looking for solutions for the heat problem of an LED bulb. Or whether it is a problem at all. Can the bulb holder and the entire headlight assembly safely take the additional heat?
Guite is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 22:15   #32
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guite View Post
As far as I know, thermal paste are for transferring heat. It is good conductor of heat. It does not absorb or dissipate heat on its own. It transfer heat to an object which can dissipate heat efficiently. So it may not serve the solution you are looking for.

Punching holes in the headlight housing will likely let dust go in and spoil the reflector.

Sorry I can only point out problems, without offering any solution. I myself am looking for solutions for the heat problem of an LED bulb. Or whether it is a problem at all. Can the bulb holder and the entire headlight assembly safely take the additional heat?
What i am planning to do is to punch holes using the smallest drill bit and then cover those holes from inside using the thermal pads and not thermal paste so that from one side it can absorb and other side it can dissipate.Since the holes will be covered it should avoid getting the dust in.Initially i am going to use the setup as it is without any mods to see if its a problem at all in the first place or not and if it is then implement the workaround.
Artyom is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 22:46   #33
BHPian

Quote:
... Initially i am going to use the setup as it is without any mods to see if its a problem at all in the first place or not and if it is then implement the workaround.
How long have you been using the setup you described in the beginning? I think you and we all already have the answer. You set it up, and used it, and it's working! From now on it's a matter of how long it lasts. If the heat really, really affects the lifespan of the LEDs you'll find out the expensive way. That is, if you carry on without any more tinkering. Personally, I wouldn't drill and spoil the boundary conditions
SanSabh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th August 2022, 23:35   #34
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanSabh View Post
How long have you been using the setup you described in the beginning? I think you and we all already have the answer. You set it up, and used it, and it's working! From now on it's a matter of how long it lasts. If the heat really, really affects the lifespan of the LEDs you'll find out the expensive way. That is, if you carry on without any more tinkering. Personally, I wouldn't drill and spoil the boundary conditions
Yup I will try to test it and monitor the setup regularly and any signs of problem arising due to heating and I am shifting back to the halogens immediately .Lets hope for the best.
Old 9th August 2022, 23:57   #35
BHPian

Quick question to the fellow members. The OEM halogens were 12 Volt 55 Watts where as the LED I installed is 12 Volt 25 watts. Does less watts mean less heat generated or is it dependent upon if you are using a LED or a Halogen bulb?
Old 10th August 2022, 00:13   #36
BHPian

Quote:
Quick question to the fellow members. The OEM halogens were 12 Volt 55 Watts where as the LED I installed is 12 Volt 25 watts. Does less watts mean less heat generated or is it dependent upon if you are using a LED or a Halogen bulb?
Normal lighting (incandescent or halogen) has a maximum light conversion efficiency of ~ 5%, while LEDs, afaik, will have an efficiency of ~ 25%. The rest is expelled as heat. So, 95% of 55W vs 75% of 25W. 52W vs 19W
It's a very clear picture. I'm absolutely sure that a normal headlight housing will have no problem at all dissipating 19W
SanSabh is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 09:20   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanSabh View Post
Normal lighting (incandescent or halogen) has a maximum light conversion efficiency of ~ 5%, while LEDs, afaik, will have an efficiency of ~ 25%. The rest is expelled as heat. So, 95% of 55W vs 75% of 25W. 52W vs 19W
It's a very clear picture. I'm absolutely sure that a normal headlight housing will have no problem at all dissipating 19W
So correct me if i am wrong that with the current Osram Led Setup heat dissapation is not an issue as its a lower watt unit(ie 25 watt wont produce excessive heat to cause any damage to reflectors or assembly itself)
Old 10th August 2022, 10:57   #38
BHPian

Quote:
So correct me if i am wrong that with the current Osram Led Setup heat dissapation is not an issue as its a lower watt unit(ie 25 watt wont produce excessive heat to cause any damage to reflectors or assembly itself)
Precisely what I mean. The localised heat emission may seem intense, but the fixture is obviously designed to handle it. The fan is part of that design, and even if the air circulates only within the headlight housing, it is, by design definition, meant to handle it within those conditions
SanSabh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th August 2022, 18:26   #39
BHPian

IMPORTANT UPDATE
Folks an important point which I forgot to mention is the LEDs installed are 25 watts,12Volt each AS AGAINST the OEM halogens which were 55Watt,12 Volts each.The way I interpret this is less heat will be generated by the LEDs in general which is something the casing and the assembly can accommodate and ideally should not lead to any burnout or damage to the reflector material or damage to any wire inside.
Having said that time will tell if this logic holds true but on the face value i don't see any issue arising from the heat perspective.A big thank to SanSabh who highlighted this and made me post it specifically
Old 10th August 2022, 22:53   #40
BHPian

LED bulbs are of course lower wattage than halogen bulbs. The criteria is the lumen output. Developed countries specify a maximum limit of brightness on vehicle headlight. Installing a headlight brighter than this is punishable offense.

Someone had mentioned that the lumen output of a 25 watt LED and 55 watt high luminous flux halogen bulb is around 1700 lumens. As posted by SanSabh, theoretically the LED bulb should generate less heat. That makes sense. But why do manufacturers provide heatsink at the back if the headlight housing is already designed for higher heat level? Is the LED driver the culprit? Maybe it is the circuit in the electronic board of the driver which is generating a lot of heat. A quick Google search seems to indicate so.

Maybe the manufacturers will come up with a car LED headlight bulb without integral driver. The driver could be on a cable, mounted outside the headlight assembly. Some LED light fixtures have such an arrangement, that is, the driver is at a different location.
Guite is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 10:28   #41

I am a noob when it comes to car lighting. I drive Verna 4s (2015) and the projectors headlights have become weak or I don't know what has happened but I can't see a thing even on high beams. It becomes worse, if I have high beam oncoming traffic or wet tarmac. Once I literally had to check the stalk if the light was even on or not. I decided to find an alternative, a quick Google search showed the same product which bhpian Artyom is using, I went to a local car decor guy for the pricing and installation, he quoted 5K including labour. However, after seeing the pictures posted in the thread, I cannot make out if this set up will work or as comments suggested will make matter worse (heat, color of light etc.)

Will keep a close watch on this thread for more comments/solutions.
MangoMan is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 12th August 2022, 22:05   #42
BHPian

Guys I will try to take some more pictures this time maybe with my mobile and hopefully they should give a better idea. The initial pictures were taken when it was drizzling a bit.
This time i will try to capture it on a dark road when its not raining.
Old 17th August 2022, 17:33   #43
BHPian

Disappointing Update
Folks this is the final update and honestly not an encouraging one so ill try to narrate the whole ordeal as it is and will let the forum decide .

1.Post installation I had a doubt if the light assembly(Projector assembly) itself might be misaligned leading to an uneven throw.
2.I quickly checked and took the vehicle to a center who deals with light setup alignment.
3.They aligned the assemblies using the manual screws on the assembly itself.
4. While aligning the mechanic asked me to get the wiring checked as the LED's were flickering as if the LEDS are not getting constant power. I was little surprised as i could not notice it. He took me close to the beam and asked me to focus and then observe the flicker.
5. Honestly speaking the flicker was not very evident but was more of like a fluctuation.It was very minute and only on very close inspection one could make it out.
6. He asked me to check with one of the guys who supposedly was a light expert and below is how the conversation went:-

Me: Sir i have replaced the LED myself and the guy who was adjusting the assembly noticed the flickering and wanted me to get the wiring checked. Its a plug and play setup so no wires have been cut.

Gentleman:After observing the lights for a few seconds . From where did you buy this sir?

Me: I bought it from Amazon and the specs are even lower than the stock halogens. Its almost half what the Halogens need.I just bought the vehicle to get the alignment.

Gentleman: Sir it seems the setup is faulty and i would request you to get it replaced.How many days since you bought it?

Me:Maybe a week or so.

Gentleman: Ohk then I would suggest to return it or replace it.Having said that I have a HID setup which we usually install on Creta and it comes with 2 years warranty.If you can come in the evening ill install the HID setup on one of the sides and you will see the difference. It costs XYZ amount. You can take my number.

Me:Ohk sir ill try to return it and then will get back to you.

Now with this doubt/genuine concern I returned home. While driving back all i was thinking what if the unit is faulty and it gives up while i am driving some where or worst it causes any power fluctuations. Although it was a doubt clubbed with the minor fluctuation i noticed while i was there i immediately raised a request to return the product.

The other way to look at it is maybe the gentleman was trying to pitch in his product and make a sale and the unit was fine its just that the doubt they planted(if any) made me panic and return the product.

SO as of today i have installed the Halogens back and the refund has been completed as well.

All said and done i would still stick to the statement that the LED replacement from OSRAM was a definite improvement(Not Upgrade) from the stock Halogens and anyone planning the same should go ahead hands down especially knowing you are not voiding any warranty and its a plug and play setup.

Suggestions Needed
Now since i am back to square one i would need suggestions what to do.

1.Should i go ahead and buy a new unit of OSRAMS and install it and hope it doesn't have the supposed flickering issue?
2. Get the HID installed from the gentlemen which costs almost twice the price of Osrams and make peace with it.
3. Do nothing and make peace with the existing setups which are Okaish.
Old 17th August 2022, 18:51   #44
Senior - BHPian

I think you just got a bit of bad luck. I am running philps h4 LED i bought locally and fabtec h11 led from Amazon on my indica for the better part of the year and both pairs have been working flawlessly. The h4 was installed by the dealer who sold it to me, and the h11 by myself. The only complication was when workshop installed one led upside down messing up the throw which i fixed by removing the hl assembly and refitting the led
greenhorn is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th August 2022, 10:10   #45
BHPian

Quote:

Suggestions Needed
Now since i am back to square one i would need suggestions what to do.

1.Should i go ahead and buy a new unit of OSRAMS and install it and hope it doesn't have the supposed flickering issue?
2. Get the HID installed from the gentlemen which costs almost twice the price of Osrams and make peace with it.
3. Do nothing and make peace with the existing setups which are Okaish.
I got hold of a preowned 2017 Creta and found the lighting setup below par. Went to a trusted installer and got HID (Hyundai OEM Excelite) installed in the projectors and LED in the fogs.
It’s been few weeks now and am quite satisfied with the upgrade, happy to DM details of the installation if it piques your interest.
gunner fan is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed