Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th August 2022, 00:53   #1
BHPian

Review | Osram LEDriving HL Premium | 6000 Kelvin | Hyundai Creta

It’s been 3 years since I bought the vehicle and I have thoroughly enjoyed every minute spent with Artyom. Have done long trips nonstop 12-16 hours straight and the only complain I had with the vehicle was with the head lights. It was not bothersome initially as most of my driving was during the daytime but gradually, I had started during trips during evenings and nights. As that ratio of driving day vs night started inclining towards the latter the issue went from bad to worse. Few of the issues which forced me to venture into the 1st DIY were: -

1.The spread of the halogens (Low beam) was not extensive, and it wasn’t illuminating the road to my satisfaction. I would rate it acceptable at the most.

2.The high beam on highways from the incoming vehicles made things worse and almost made me blind which was not comforting especially when traveling with family.

My first attempt to get a suitable replacement which was within the specs of the existing halogens miserably failed as most of them required a ballast or the lumen were too high or the power, they were drawing was too much. Most of them required cutting of the dust cap to accommodate the assembly. These options were more of a hazard to be honest. Having said that all of these options could offer you amazing lighting power enough to blind the road but again we are not in war zone.1st attempt was a disappointment.

I usually refrain from making any modifications to the vehicle and prefer it to be as stock as possible and all the option I had were deviating from the specs which was not acceptable to me.After 8 months I stumbled upon a video on YouTube where this guy had replaced the existing halogens with a LED setup, and it was a plug and play setup. Upon checking I found the replacement LED was of the same spec as the existing halogens which was the biggest plus.I looked upon further reviews and videos and most of the Creta owners were happy with the change.The highlight of the product is that it’s a universal fit for a lot of bulb types so anyone within that list can use them.The replacement was easy to moderate in terms of difficulty and so I took the plunge and replaced it today.

Product -> Osram HB3/HB4 49005/6CW Headlamp integrated driver (Set of 2, 25W 12V)
Bought from->Amazon
Paid->3560
Warranty->1 Year

Below are the steps for replacement for replacement in Creta 2019 and 2020 with Projector setups: -

1.Open the dust cap.
2.The halogen assembly is a L shaped unit where one of the sides connects to the power cable directly. Disconnect the power cable from the halogen by pushing down the clip which holds both together.
3. Rotate the bulb ANTI CLOCK Wise to plug it out of the casing.
4. The replacement LED is a LED assembly followed by a cable and the end has the plug which connects to the power cable. It’s a universal fit meaning the plug can fit into the power cable in both directions however only one the way works. So first connect and check if the LED is powering up and then continue otherwise inverse the plug and then try and it should work. (Make sure you place the LED while testing on a metal surface as it gets hot easily which can melt any plastic casing if placed on it)
5. Once you confirm that the LED Is lighting up AND the fan is operational behind the LED now its time to place the LED into the casing. Simply insert the led inside and rotate CLOCKWISE so that the LED groves into the slots.
6. Put the dust cover back and test the throw of light.

Some points to keep in mind in this overall process are: -

1.On the LED there are 3 metal clips which hold the led against the casing in your vehicle projector assembly. The LED should in perpendicular to the smallest clip of all. The allen key provided along should be used to tighten the led strip so that it doesn’t rotate.
2.People with fat fingers will find it cumbersome to work on this project as the space is limited.
3.You can use any of the LED first for installation as it’s a universal product.

Initial Impressions: -

1.I had clicked multiple photos before and after replacement to gauge the difference and I feel there is at least 30% increase in the overall reach and throw of the light.
2.The light pattern before and after seems almost similar except the light pattern goes upwards on the left side.
3. I will drive the vehicle for a month and then will decide if it requires a light adjustment.
4. From the get-go I didn’t find any major difference in the light alignment which is a good thing.
5.High beam has also become more powerful than before.
6.Although I haven’t checked by standing in front of the vehicle if the low beam is causing any inconvenience to the vehicles on the opposite side but based upon the beam pattern which is formed on the vehicle which is ahead, I am confident it won’t be an issue.
7. I am happy with the initial performance especially knowing I am not crossing the specs of the OEM installed halogens which in turn could help me avoid any unnecessary problems when claiming warranty.

I will share my experience after using it for a couple of months and hopefully the investment should be worth it.I have tried to capture the before and after photos but they might not be very high quality as they were captured mostly with the dash cam or with phone.
Ill try to post a video while i am driving during night on my camera to get a close to real idea for the members.

Review | Osram LEDriving HL Premium | 6000 Kelvin | Hyundai Creta-1.png

Review | Osram LEDriving HL Premium | 6000 Kelvin | Hyundai Creta-2.png

Review | Osram LEDriving HL Premium | 6000 Kelvin | Hyundai Creta-3.png

Review | Osram LEDriving HL Premium | 6000 Kelvin | Hyundai Creta-4.png

Review | Osram LEDriving HL Premium | 6000 Kelvin | Hyundai Creta-5.png

Review | Osram LEDriving HL Premium | 6000 Kelvin | Hyundai Creta-6.png

Review | Osram LEDriving HL Premium | 6000 Kelvin | Hyundai Creta-7.png

Review | Osram LEDriving HL Premium | 6000 Kelvin | Hyundai Creta-8.png

Name:  9.PNG
Views: 4593
Size:  895.1 KB

Review | Osram LEDriving HL Premium | 6000 Kelvin | Hyundai Creta-10.png

Review | Osram LEDriving HL Premium | 6000 Kelvin | Hyundai Creta-11.png

Review | Osram LEDriving HL Premium | 6000 Kelvin | Hyundai Creta-12.png

Name:  13.PNG
Views: 4670
Size:  803.4 KB

Review | Osram LEDriving HL Premium | 6000 Kelvin | Hyundai Creta-14.png
Extra cable and adapter tucked inside

Review | Osram LEDriving HL Premium | 6000 Kelvin | Hyundai Creta-lowbefore1.png
Low Beam Before Replacement

Review | Osram LEDriving HL Premium | 6000 Kelvin | Hyundai Creta-lowbefore2.png

Review | Osram LEDriving HL Premium | 6000 Kelvin | Hyundai Creta-lowbefore3.png

Review | Osram LEDriving HL Premium | 6000 Kelvin | Hyundai Creta-highbefore1.png
High Beam Before Replacement

Review | Osram LEDriving HL Premium | 6000 Kelvin | Hyundai Creta-lowafter1.png
Low Beam After Replacement

Review | Osram LEDriving HL Premium | 6000 Kelvin | Hyundai Creta-lowafter2.png

Review | Osram LEDriving HL Premium | 6000 Kelvin | Hyundai Creta-lowafter3.png

Review | Osram LEDriving HL Premium | 6000 Kelvin | Hyundai Creta-high-after1.png

Review | Osram LEDriving HL Premium | 6000 Kelvin | Hyundai Creta-lowafter4.png

Review | Osram LEDriving HL Premium | 6000 Kelvin | Hyundai Creta-highafter1.png
High Beam After Replacement

Last edited by Artyom : 8th August 2022 at 00:55.
Artyom is offline   (62) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 09:08   #2
BHPian

Re: Review | Osram LEDriving HL Premium | 6000 Kelvin | Hyundai Creta

Coincidentally happened to be in a similar situation a year ago. My Vento completed its 6th year in the family last year and a couple of upgrades were due, like in your case the biggest problem were the headlights. Yellow halogens were not just dim but also making the look of the car quite dated.

I initially opted for Osram LEDs in the H7 size but then switched to nighteye. Osram's brand equity needs no introduction in the automotive world and maybe this was the reason behind the lights being so expensive. I remember the lights being around 2K/per pair. Since I needed 3 pairs of LED bulbs (4 for headlights + 2 for Fogs), I decided to go for Nighteye which were cheaper back then and also had a more compact module.

Did you consider any other options apart from Osram? What made you pick this brand particularly? I think this thread would come in handy for many people who are planning LED upgrades.
AKSarkar1 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 09:31   #3
BHPian

Very nicely done
I noticed that your first generation Creta has the headlight dust cap with a larger profile compared to the smaller profile one in my first generation Creta's projector headlamp assembly. However, I am very curious as to why are there two holes in the dust cap.

One aspect that you need to watch out for is the glare on foggy and/or rainy nights because the 6000 Kelvin colour temperature borders on the edge of white light with a bluish tinge. Ideally, the 4500-5500 Kelvin colour temperature would have been preferable since that closely matches the colour temperature of sunlight.

Also, the amount of light (luminous flux) rating for these LED bulbs seems to be around the 1200-1500 lumen (lm) mark. However, halogen bulbs like a Philips X-treme vision or an Osram Nightbreaker, both in their HB3 versions have a luminous flux rating of approximately 1800 lumens in their 60 watt variants which is the stock bulb rating for the halogen headlamps of the firat generation Creta. So wouldn't the halogens have been better ?

Finally, I would suggest to watch out for the authorities because sadly, they consider such changes to be violations of the laws/rules

Still, overall a good job done immaculately. Wish you happy and safe drives ahead.

Last edited by Chhanda Das : 8th August 2022 at 09:35.
Chhanda Das is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 10:48   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSarkar1 View Post
Did you consider any other options apart from Osram? What made you pick this brand particularly?
To be honest when i had decided that I will be upgrading it what may come my search was focused on YouTube and in general on Google where most of the reviews were pointing towards either the Osrams or the AutoBahn ones. The Autobahn required more power and some of them required cutting of the dust cap.Autobahn ones were more effecting w.r.t lighting but I wanted to remain within the spec range so Osram was the only left.I also considered the 100 watt halogens from Philips which some reviews quoted as being more effective than the stock ones but again 100Watt was holding me back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chhanda Das View Post
Very nicely done
However, I am very curious as to why are there two holes in the dust cap.
Appreciate the kind words.The 2 holes in the dust cap have 2 screws which are holding the mesh down onto the cavity.The white thing you see under the mesh is some kind of pouch which hold what it seems like calcium nuggets in a bag. The purpose maybe to absorb any moisture.To be honest I also wanted to get the white light power as it feels little updated. Call me silly but yes it was a minor contribution factor towards the upgrade.More than that most of the reviews i went through were raving about this product so i went ahead. Yes in rains it might cause an issue but then you gain some you lose some.
Artyom is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 12:05   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Also, the amount of light (luminous flux) rating for these LED bulbs seems to be around the 1200-1500 lumen (lm) mark. However, halogen bulbs like a Philips X-treme vision or an Osram Nightbreaker, both in their HB3 versions have a luminous flux rating of approximately 1800 lumens in their 60 watt variants which is the stock bulb rating for the halogen headlamps of the firat generation Creta. So wouldn't the halogens have been better ?
I checked all of Osram's data sheets for both Halogen's and LED's. Each lamp has an output of 1500 lm. It does not make sense.
If output is the same 1500 lumens across the range, from OE replacement to LEDs, then how does it produce 'more' light ?
jalsa777 is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 12:31   #6
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKSarkar1 View Post

I initially opted for Osram LEDs in the H7 size but then switched to nighteye. Osram's brand .
I have a 2017 Vento, and would like to go for plug and play type LED bulbs. What was the result of your upgrade? Which one would you suggest me?

Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 12:42   #7
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
It’s been 3 years since I bought the vehicle and I have thoroughly enjoyed every minute spent with Artyom. Have done long trips nonstop 12-16 hours straight and the only complain I had with the vehicle was with the head lights.
Wow, this finally feels like the perfect solution to aftermarket headlights major problem and something I wanted to exist for a long time, the major reasons to go aftermarket is White Light vs OEM's Yellow and if possible a better throw.

The solutions have all been either tacky or overpriced or both.
When I wanted to upgrade my Creta's headlights back in 2017 the only options were either overpriced branded Xenon lights costing north of 12k or so per pair and still some people had issues with them, they required Cutting of dust cap which I despised a lot and then it required installing the huge Ballast somewhere and more often than not it was a huge hassle and something or other would occur causing the lights to stop working.

Other solutions were non branded HIDs which had the same hassles but poorer quality, I went with these as they costed 1/4th and decided to throw them out if they didn't work as intended (Around 2.5k to 3k a pair) and ownership experience has been not that great with these, the ballast and the bulbs surprisingly work fine till date and the throw is fantastic, the wiring connecting them both fails from time to time, causing non working lights and visits to lame Karol Bagh installers with more attitude than knowledge.

Then the market was flooded with Chinese LEDs and I wanted to distance myself from them, not only were they 5k a pair initially for non branded ones but would fail in a dime, required cutting of dust cap, had fans which was yet another point of failure and many other hassles and at the end were not worth it.

I had made up my mind that I will never upgrade headlamps in my car from now on, but this was till I saw this thread of yours.

3.5k seems like a steal deal for a branded LED light and Osram no less! Then the biggest plus is it all sits inside the headlamp casing without having to cut anything at all

My question for you is, will the ballast lying inside the casing, stay put there without any glue or zip ties or something and won't move around when driving causing issues? And do all cars have this much space inside to house both the bulb plus fan and its ballast or can this require the same cutting the dust cap hassle?
Rocketscience is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 13:34   #8
BHPian

I've been using Osram LEDs in both the low and high beams of my EcoSport 2018 since almost 6 months now. The LED strip of the high beam of the right headlamp doesn't sit exactly straight (as in perpendicular) in the housing due to the design of the holder itself. Weirdly the one on the left fits just right.
This has led to some purple fringing and in general a softer cutoff pattern when compared to the left headlamp.
Even with this less than ideal situation, the light output is miles better than the stock setup. I can cruise at 90 kmph all night on all kinds of roads. Yet to test these in fog, though i do turn on my halogen fog lamps in rains for better visibility on wet roads.
Would definitely recommend Osram to anyone considering plug and play led bulbs.
DrAakash is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 13:52   #9
BHPian

Thanks for detailed write up on this, have you done any modification on dust cap, like putting extra hole ? I have Seltos, it has projector assembly with halogen bulb in base model, I went for projector setup later, I had to drill the dust cap. so far no issues from 1.5 years.
sharan_si is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 13:59   #10
BHPian

Doubt. Have you put the dust cap back? If so, wont the bulb gets overheated as the fan becomes useless in stale air without any airflow?
vishnurajanme is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 14:38   #11
BHPian

I took delivery of my Creta on 1st of July and the ASC offered the LED upgrade on the projectors. I was about to upgrade it with Trio LEDs but the cost was huge 40K! I asked them for a wall projection comparison of both these, and finally went for LEDs on projector. Trio LEDs are brighter and sharp but it lacks the proper beam spread as the LEDs are offering narrow beams when compared to retrofit LEDs. Unfortunately I forgot to take the pics for future reference, but take my words, it's worth the money you spent and the cut off pattern is also within the safe limits for the oncoming traffic. With projectors, it offers the perfect beam spread on both high and low beams. With a single flash almost everyone will dip their high beam

The LED brand is RD X800 which has got 30 months peace of mind assurance from the ASC with a price tag of 7500/- with proper invoice. Haven't done much night drives on rainy days but am confident that it will support based on my limited rain drives experience.

For those who are looking for upgrade, here's the link
https://www.rdoverseas.in/product/ca...ights-rd-x800/

Am in no way associated with this company and the item was sourced from my ASC not from the site, so am not responsible in case if you face any bitter experiences from this portal.
sajjt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 8th August 2022, 14:44   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artyom View Post
The 2 holes in the dust cap have 2 screws which are holding the mesh down onto the cavity.The white thing you see under the mesh is some kind of pouch which hold what it seems like calcium nuggets in a bag. The purpose maybe to absorb any moisture.
Oh, got it. In that case, the pouch may be holding desiccant silica gel or silicon dioxide granules (not calcium nuggets) which is commonly used to remove moisture condensation from headlight assemblies

Quote:
Originally Posted by jalsa777 View Post
I checked all of Osram's data sheets for both Halogen's and LED's. Each lamp has an output of 1500 lm. It does not make sense.
If output is the same 1500 lumens across the range, from OE replacement to LEDs, then how does it produce 'more' light ?
Clearly, there is some misunderstanding happening here. If I take your assumption of "output is the same 1500 lumens across the range, from OE replacement to LEDs" to be true then it does not make any sense to upgrade to LEDs itself, except maybe from a fuel efficiency point-of-view.

However, your assumption of "output is the same 1500 lumens across the range" is sadly incorrect and clearly you did not check everything. For example, the 60 watt HB3 9005 Osram Nightbreaker Laser halogen bulb with a P20d base has a standard lumen rating of 1700 lm. You can verify my statement in the following link :-

https://www.osram.com/ecat/NIGHT%20B...5/ZMP_4057702/

Similarly, the Philips X-treme Vision HB3 9005 60 watt halogen bulb with a P20d base has a lumen rating of 1860 lm and you can verify my statement in the following link :-

https://www.philips.co.in/c-p/9005XV...headlight-bulb

I hope that I was able to clear the misunderstanding
Old 8th August 2022, 15:55   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Clearly, there is some misunderstanding happening here. If I take your assumption of "output is the same 1500 lumens across the range, from OE replacement to LEDs" to be true then it does not make any sense to upgrade to LEDs itself, except maybe from a fuel efficiency point-of-view.

However, your assumption of "output is the same 1500 lumens across the range" is sadly incorrect and clearly you did not check everything. For example, the 60 watt HB3 9005 Osram Nightbreaker Laser halogen bulb with a P20d base has a standard lumen rating of 1700 lm.
Let me elaborate my boundary conditions:
1. I am checking only H7 bulbs
2. Nominal wattage - 55W
3. Only checked Osram
Old 8th August 2022, 16:23   #14
BHPian

Product -> Osram HB3/HB4 49005/6CW Headlamp integrated driver (Set of 2, 25W 12V)
Bought from->Amazon
Paid->3560
Warranty->1 Year

Question: Is this compatible with the Grand i10 Sportz 2018?
Old 8th August 2022, 16:24   #15
BHPian

Dear OP, Did you check the Osram HID? I have the Osram HID in my Nexon and the light output is fabulous.
It is only 35W per HID and much better than either LED or halogen.
Uploaded a photo for reference.

Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Review | Osram LEDriving HL Premium | 6000 Kelvin | Hyundai Creta-ph20220619194414000025.jpg  

ayankm is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks