Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th August 2022, 15:14   #16
BHPian

re: Refreshing my VW Vento TSI DSG at 9 years & 71k km. EDIT: Detailing updates on Page 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntPaul View Post
Vento has very classy and subtle matte aluminum type highlight everywhere in the cabin, including below those buttons. I think while plonking the touchscreen, that interior trim was replaced and now you have a not so subtle highlight there.
I own a Vento 2015 and it has got a complete matte silver finish in it's center console.

Name:  Screenshot 20220818 151200.jpg
Views: 1485
Size:  112.1 KB

Maybe since his model is an older one, it might have that!

Last edited by TechnoBloop : 18th August 2022 at 15:16.
TechnoBloop is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 16:21   #17
BHPian

re: Refreshing my VW Vento TSI DSG at 9 years & 71k km. EDIT: Detailing updates on Page 2

Awesome read! Pretty much everything I had in my mind for my polo.

Can someone provide me with an equivalent place in Pune, or should I drive down to Bengaluru?
Old 18th August 2022, 18:05   #18
BHPian

Great read, I love such threads and now the car can go for few more years easily. Reminds of my 2012 blacked out Duster on which I had spent a considerable amount of money and time. Would have still kept it if I hadn't left India.

I would also suggest few more subtle things which will make it even better
- Debadge the rear, it feels cluttered as of now.
- Get a different set of alloys, glossy black multi spoke one should look amazing
- Try to get the new Highline LED headlights and taillights
- Do not detail the car before prepping it for the detail, get the color correction done if possible ( this will help the black exterior)
- Legal % tinting for the windows, helps to keep the car cool and all black exterior on a Sedan is a chefs kiss in my opinion
turbowhistle is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 18:33   #19
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Overcoming the Upgrade itch-Refreshing my Vento TSI-DSG at 9 years and 71k Km

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Thank you for reading and do share your comments/questions if any.
Nice upgrades to refresh the car. You are now making me do the same on mine as well. Surprised that I haven't done anything on my car except for the cycle rack. I am known for headlight upgrades .

Anyhow, here's what I think needs to be done on your car.

1) Your car shouts "exterior detailing". The paint looks dull or is the photo making it feel so? But I suggest you get both the interior and exterior detailing done. You don't need to go for ceramic detailing, just get a good wax treatment done.

2) GT steering wheel
3) New instrument cluster
4) The LED headlights from the latest TSI Vento. I didn't like it's tail lights though.
5) Maybe change the grill? You have many aftermarket options. Think there are option in Boodmo as well.

Some of these are expensive I know . Also, you may check the premium VAG modifier based in Cochin for some inspiration.
naveen.raju is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 19:59   #20
BHPian

Thanks for sharing! This post is something that will definitely help many existing owners. Sadly I have a hard time upgrading to non-oem things due to design OCD.

I, for one, also happen to own a 2015 Vento and let's just say that I am not going to lurk anywhere near VW India's 2.0 products (no offense intended to current owners). With the passat and jetta out of the picture, the only offering that will feel like a true upgrade is the Tiguan which is what I have my eyes set on for now.

Your Vento looks incredibly well maintained for a 9-10 year old car, I sure do miss the pure black that VW used to offer back in the day! Thanks for sharing and looking forward to more posts on your beauty!

Last edited by AKSarkar1 : 18th August 2022 at 20:00.
AKSarkar1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th August 2022, 21:54   #21
Senior - BHPian

Great refresh there, thanks for sharing the updates

Personally, what I liked the most from your list was the remap, I can only imagine how the reinvigorated feeling must be on that engine + DSG tranny! Like an almost new life?!

Did they share the new torque config after the tweaks? As you know, the DQ200's stated capacity is about 250 Nm, so hope they have kept the new spec within sanity

The HU upgrade also looks awesome, you can never get enough of the wizardry that these things offer you when you switch technology generations.

As some others have said, the one thing that you can plan next up is the exterior detailing. It WILL do wonders to that glorious black color. And you won't want to part with it, then. Atleast for the near future, that is.
Reminds me of my Vento's mid-life refresh at the 75k km mark, just a bit of exterior care and the car came out bright and shiny:-

My VW Vento TSI DSG | Edit: 10 years and 83,000 km update on pg. 3-20200106_085230.jpg
JoshMachine is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 19th August 2022, 00:27   #22
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post

Did they share the new torque config after the tweaks? As you know, the DQ200's stated capacity is about 250 Nm, so hope they have kept the new spec within sanity
With TCU remap, I guess DQ200 can take torque higher than 250. There are many Octavia 1.8 TSI running at 300+ torque.
Old 19th August 2022, 11:52   #23
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
You have a further challenge where the Vento TSI is so good that it easily meets or beats the current offerings in terms of build quality, engine performance & gearbox speed. For a true upgrade, you will have to jump up not one, but two price segments!
Thanks GTO. Exactly as you said, to upgrade, would need to upgrade a couple of segments and unfortunately sedans are a rare breed now. Hoping to be able to do a upgrade to one of the Big 3 pre-owned, but that would still be sometime away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TechnoBloop View Post
By the way, didn't you consider changing the steering wheel? Because, since you've upgraded the Vento's cabin with some new-age stuff, it's only the steering wheel that looks outdated in an otherwise premium cabin.
Also, did you do modify this particular area of the interior? My Vento, in fact I think no Vento has this silver lining below the buttons. I couldn't help but notice it.
Yes, steering wheel upgrade was in the list and almost done. Target was a GTI steering with paddles, but there was an issue sourcing it and it was also very expensive. So dropped the plan for now.

My Vento did have the silver lining as seen in the picture below. With the new unit, a different fascia was needed, and that is why the difference.

My VW Vento TSI DSG | Edit: 10 years and 83,000 km update on pg. 3-oldbpthu.png

Older Vento's did have these nice touches. Even the headlight knob has that aluminum finish. In fact I planned to do Auto Headlamps, but dropped the plan purely because the new switch was plain black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100Kmphormore View Post
Your Vento looks fantastic! Only one question though, whats that misty after reflection on the black paint? it looks like a drop of white paint was wiped around along with water.
Have you had a PPF done on the car?
Should not be paint wiped with water, but not sure what it is. I don't wipe with water at all. Only use a Jopasu duster and maybe once a month (or as needed) take it for a proper water wash. Did do ceramic coating around 4 years back. Details in this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntPaul View Post
Hi Rajeev,
When you go for the detailing session, get the alloy wheel properly cleaned as well. That is a lovely wheel design. Having a 9 year old black duster that is so filled with every type of swirl marks that I wished I did not have a black car, your car looks relatively swirl free.
Thanks, Yes. A proper detailing is planned in the next couple of months. I guess the ceramic coating + the fact that I don't wash it too much myself or with a cleaner person has helped maintain it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitta Pradhan View Post
Hi
It is great reading about the upgrades you made to your loved car.
Couple of questions-
-LEDs are simple plug and play type or for the installation, other mods were required?
-Has the remap got any positive impact on removing the shudders in lower gear ( D1 from D2) particularly?
LED's are plug and play. I did not have major shuddering from D1 to D2 earlier but it was definitely there. I don't have it at all post the remap. Need to drive more to validate this completely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbowhistle View Post
I would also suggest few more subtle things which will make it even better
- Debadge the rear, it feels cluttered as of now.
- Get a different set of alloys, glossy black multi spoke one should look amazing
- Try to get the new Highline LED headlights and taillights
- Do not detail the car before prepping it for the detail, get the color correction done if possible ( this will help the black exterior)
- Legal % tinting for the windows, helps to keep the car cool and all black exterior on a Sedan is a chefs kiss in my opinion
Thanks for great suggestions. Will look at some of these in the next upgrades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by naveen.raju View Post
1) Your car shouts "exterior detailing". The paint looks dull or is the photo making it feel so? But I suggest you get both the interior and exterior detailing done. You don't need to go for ceramic detailing, just get a good wax treatment done.
2) GT steering wheel
3) New instrument cluster
4) The LED headlights from the latest TSI Vento. I didn't like it's tail lights though.
5) Maybe change the grill? You have many aftermarket options. Think there are option in Boodmo as well.
Some of these are expensive I know . Also, you may check the premium VAG modifier based in Cochin for some inspiration.
Thanks Naveen. The steering upgrade was actually planned. Sourcing issues and more importantly cost has put in hold on that. Will get it done. The instrument cluster was also discussed, but again put on hold. Will look at the others. Thanks for the suggestions. I think I know the premium modifier's you are referring to, but am not sure if I have it right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshMachine View Post
Thanks for the inputs. While exact numbers were not shared, since this is a stage 1, it will not be more than 15%. So that would put it in the 200-210 range from stock 176. So should be well within the stock limit of 250nM
Rajeevraj is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd August 2022, 15:07   #24

Hey Rajeevraj, Nice writeup. I am in the same boat as you with a 2012 Vento Diesel Highline. Just in two minds on the upgrade part. Do these guys do just the normal service as well or are they just specific to remaps/mods. Asking the question as finding a trusted mechanic in Bangalore is a little tough.
AutomobFan30 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th August 2022, 14:05   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutomobFan30 View Post
Hey Rajeevraj, Nice writeup. I am in the same boat as you with a 2012 Vento Diesel Highline. Just in two minds on the upgrade part. Do these guys do just the normal service as well or are they just specific to remaps/mods. Asking the question as finding a trusted mechanic in Bangalore is a little tough.
They do normal service also. If it is completely routine, then may not have major benefits, but if there are issues you want addressed, then it makes more sense.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th August 2022, 14:07   #26
BHPian

Hey Rajeevraj. Nice post. Loved it. I too have Vento 2014. Itching for the mods. My needs are almost identical to the mods you have done! Liked reading your experience with EE.

Can anyone guide on identical place in Hyderabad to get done everything at one place!
yogeshb18 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 17:34   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

The Detailing Update

As mentioned in the intro posts, one pending item was a round of detailing to restore the surface to whatever extent possible.

There are a lot of options for Detailing in Bangalore and I have experienced several myself. It had be almost 4 years since I did a detailing job on my car and hence was looking for the right place to do it. Initially I was planning to get it done from Krithi Car Care, but this is was at the other end of town and my schedule was never allowing me to plan it out. Then one day I saw the Sarjapur Road branch of Detailing Mafia had opened. Detailing Mafia is a chain with presence across India and I had read reasonable feedback here and in general web reviews. Enough for me to at least check them out as they were almost at a walkable distance from home. Location of Detailing Mafia-Sarjapur Road here. Reached out on WhatsApp and the the franchise owners- Mr Kavin and Mr Harsh, both were prompt in their response to my messages and when I went in person, took time to explain their services and also listen to my inputs before suggesting the option to go for. Typically in newer places there is a tendency to push services- This was not the case here and Kavin and Harsh suggested the optimum package based on my requirements.

The outlet had just started operating 2 weeks back, so initially was in 2 minds whether to go ahead. Overall, based on the interaction with the team and seeing the set up and infrastructure, decided to go ahead.

The packages all have some 'Mafia' Related Names and honestly is quite confusing. To put it simply, what I got done was the Ceramic Coating package with 2 years warranty along with a interior deep cleaning. Products used were standard ones used by the Detailing Mafia Chain. The Ceramic coating product line was called 'Labcosmetica'. On the website, this is the 'Al Capone' package with Ceramic Coating at the end of it. There were 2 major scratches on the bumper and on the panel beside the left back door. These would need painting or touchup and I left it as is for now.

Overall I was quite happy with the work and the interaction with the team was also pretty good and I was kept updated about the progress along with pictures. Since there was some offer running on purchase of a membership card, got around 5k worth of services for free to be used at a later time. Since I normally take the car for washing out, felt this would be useful for me.

Enough of text, getting to the pictures

The within the center pictures, with all the enhanced lighting.

My VW Vento TSI DSG | Edit: 10 years and 83,000 km update on pg. 3-whatsapp-image-20220913-18.00.53.jpeg

My VW Vento TSI DSG | Edit: 10 years and 83,000 km update on pg. 3-20220913_163903.jpg

My VW Vento TSI DSG | Edit: 10 years and 83,000 km update on pg. 3-20220913_163916.jpg

My VW Vento TSI DSG | Edit: 10 years and 83,000 km update on pg. 3-20220913_163925.jpg

My VW Vento TSI DSG | Edit: 10 years and 83,000 km update on pg. 3-20220913_163936.jpg

My VW Vento TSI DSG | Edit: 10 years and 83,000 km update on pg. 3-whatsapp-image-20220913-18.00.48.jpeg

My VW Vento TSI DSG | Edit: 10 years and 83,000 km update on pg. 3-whatsapp-image-20220913-18.01.03.jpeg

The mandatory before and after pictures(This was at an intermediate stage

My VW Vento TSI DSG | Edit: 10 years and 83,000 km update on pg. 3-whatsapp-image-20220913-18.01.04.jpeg

Outdoor Pictures with Natural Light

My VW Vento TSI DSG | Edit: 10 years and 83,000 km update on pg. 3-20220913_165739.jpg

My VW Vento TSI DSG | Edit: 10 years and 83,000 km update on pg. 3-20220913_170509.jpg

My VW Vento TSI DSG | Edit: 10 years and 83,000 km update on pg. 3-20220913_170518.jpg

My VW Vento TSI DSG | Edit: 10 years and 83,000 km update on pg. 3-20220913_170856.jpg

My VW Vento TSI DSG | Edit: 10 years and 83,000 km update on pg. 3-20220913_170901.jpg

The 'Reflection Picture' to sign off
My VW Vento TSI DSG | Edit: 10 years and 83,000 km update on pg. 3-20220913_170537.jpg

Missed to take interior pictures, will share that in a subsequent post.

Of course with any detailing activity, the key is how the quality is retained over the subsequent months and year. The experience of doing it was great and will update here on how things pan out. With this the major changes planned for the refresh is one. There was one more last one to change the interior light to the Passat Dome Light which was also done. Will update that with pictures in the next post
Rajeevraj is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th September 2022, 12:44   #28
Distinguished - BHPian

re: My VW Vento TSI DSG | Edit: 10 years and 83,000 km update on pg. 3

A minor pending update that was done last week. Changing the interior light to the Passat style dome light with LED ambient light. Visually an upgrade noticeable only by those who actually know the car. Gives a small but significant upgrade to the interior ambience especially at night with the back-lit switches and LED's that cast a glow on the gear lever.

Pic of the unit with the soft touch buttons with a nice tactile feedback.

My VW Vento TSI DSG | Edit: 10 years and 83,000 km update on pg. 3-20220917_162113.jpg

It is a plug and play for the main light- But needs a harness and a fuse tap for the ambient lights to turn on when parking lights/headlights are switched on.

My VW Vento TSI DSG | Edit: 10 years and 83,000 km update on pg. 3-20220917_162353.jpg

Fits in cleanly. Small challenge was that the OEM light was held by screws and this was a clip-on. But was fixed without any issue.

My VW Vento TSI DSG | Edit: 10 years and 83,000 km update on pg. 3-20220925_123001.jpg

My VW Vento TSI DSG | Edit: 10 years and 83,000 km update on pg. 3-20220925_122931.jpg

The backlit buttons and the LEDs. Since they are the same color as the rest of the existing OEM backlighting, matches perfectly.

My VW Vento TSI DSG | Edit: 10 years and 83,000 km update on pg. 3-20220924_220123.jpg

Rajeevraj is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 21:01   #29
Distinguished - BHPian

The initial update on the remap was after a couple of 100km of driving. Over the Dussehra holidays, did a round trip to Kerala along with quite a bit of driving within the Kerala highways which was followed by another highway round trip to Salem. Probably around 1500km worth of driving. So got to observe the changes and experience due to the remap more closely.
  • As already observed in the initial post, the remap has made the power delivery more linear. This made the D mode more drivable. What I observed was on some of the highway runs in Kerala, where I usually had to go to S to complete the quick overtaking maneuvers needed, I could in many cases be in D itself.
  • The D mode holding gears a wee bit longer, kicks down a little faster and then of course the additional power all helped ensure that I could be in the D mode more often than not without feeling a lack of power or a delay in kickdown.
  • The S mode obviously made all of the above even better, it was already fun and now it is more enjoyable.
  • The additional torque the remap enabled is was easily felt when I accelerated on the highway- whether in D or S, you build up speed very quickly.
  • The additional power is also felt. Especially on the 4 lane highways/expressways, I could sense the difference from previous drives-I could feel that it had more in it to give (hard to explain clearly though).
  • Obvious question that comes up-Did mileage drop? Actually, no. It was better by 0.5-1kmpl. Reason was that I was in D for longer durations and was driving more smoothly and consistently thanks to the better drivability. In fact, one stretch I drove was around 60-70km from the Namakkal area in TN to Salem. This was done around 11pm and it was drizzling through out. Traffic was minimal and I just kept it at a consistent 70-80kmph in S mode. The MID at the end of this was showing 18.5kmpl, which I never recall seeing before. Have done such runs before and the MID has never gone above 17kmpl even in D mode.

Hope I was able to communicate the changes through above points clearly enough. It is a little hard to quantify as a lot of it is based on my 'before and after' feel and experience along the same routes and roads.

Couple of other things I noticed which I probably need to talk to Engineering Exponents
  • Noticed a shudder around the 90kmph mark which goes away soon after. Not very noticeable, but it is there.
  • Getting a feel that I need better brakes as in some situations I felt that I was miscalculating the braking distance and ended up having to brake harder at the end. Maybe just a matter of adjustment.

Among the other updates, only some minor issues with the HU. Completely dropped Bluetooth connectivity once and had to reboot to solve it. Also sometimes takes 2-3 attempts for the hotspot to connect and get going. Was kind of expected from a full android HU, so not too bothersome.

Overall, with the long drive done, I am glad I did all these updates. The remap, the better lights, the new HU with speakers have all contributed to a better driving experience and has resulted in my enjoying the car a little more than I was before. Ultimately that is what you want and am glad it has worked out so far.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th October 2022, 21:12   #30
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
[*]Getting a feel that I need better brakes as in some situations I felt that I was miscalculating the braking distance and ended up having to brake harder at the end. Maybe just a matter of adjustment. [/list]

Overall, with the long drive done, I am glad I did all these updates. The remap, the better lights, the new HU with speakers have all contributed to a better driving experience and has resulted in my enjoying the car a little more than I was before. Ultimately that is what you want and am glad it has worked out so far.
You are absolutely correct, I have a GT TSI and i used to feel the brakes are just about adequate. But I felt they are subpar the day i got the remap done. The main issue being the fact that it doesnt have much bite in the initial few cm of travel of the brake pedal. I have ended up remedying this by installing a Big Brake Kit.(basically the GTI Brakes).
agambhandari is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks