Team-BHP - Immobilizer - Worth it??
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Immobilizer - Worth it?? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/25643-immobilizer-worth.html)

Hi Team,

Booked Sparky LS (doesnt have central locking) and for the accs asked for an Autocop with Immobilizer.

As I would have to park in unmanned parking lots I was keen on one with the Immobilizer.

However the accs guy whom I spoke to recommended the Base version over the Imm. His reason - if you loose the keys you are done for. Am ok with that.

But then other members on this forum and good friends raised concerns that since the IMM would interfere with engine etc its safer to go with a basic autocop and also I read posts in this forum which say that Imm kicks in suddenly and engine stops (this is after 2-3 yrs).

Is it safe for the engine? Am bothered about that. In fact have asked the dealer to get me one which they say would take 7 days. (again he may have wanted to liquidate stocks he has so may have recommended the base one).

So want an unbiased opinion from the experts. Thanks in advance.

Nimz

Immobilizer is a must nowadays, specifically for new cars, if you want to protect your vehicle from theft, otherwise go for the door opening toys aka alarm systems :).

Imagine this..you with your family go for a movie and park your car. After the movie you try starting the car. But immobilizer has gone faulty and wouldn't let you start your car. BAD situation ain't it?
i would suggest dont go for immobilizer, you can still think of opting for body sensors.

An engine immobilizer is definitely recommended. What you might have heard abt abt its possible negative effects has a lot to do with the earlier Autocops. I have an Autocop with engine immobilizer activated - inspite of hearing the same "advice" from the accessory store.

Besides, even if the engine immobilizer activates and you're unable to start the car, Autocop has a simple DIY procedure that resets the alarm/immobilizer. You should ask the autocop engineer to come to your house and demo the whole settings for you - which is standard practice.

Some chronicles from my earlier experience:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/255717-post5.html

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/281538-post23.html

Have a look at this article: Are your cars still there?-Delhi Times-City Supplements-Cities-The Times of IndiaPS: I think these stats are for Delhi only.

WE have engine immobillizer on all our cars (correct me if i am wrong On the remote where C is written (only on autocop remotes) which cuts the engine is called immobilizer ) not even once the thing has given us any trouble

i recommend it and peace from knowing no one can start your car is worth the extra cost over the base version

Thanks everyone.

@theMag - very helpful. So I guess I'll not call up Sundaram Motors and cancel my order.

I guess the situation which Mainak sets forth can be set right by Mags post on reseting the Immobilizer.

And again I think security is more important than a minor inconvenience.

For me its more important as am house hunting and most of the ones dont seem to have safe parking lots.

Thanks Team BHP

@Nimz same security would be given by gear locks or steering locks. My dad had a City 1.3 with immobilizer and body sensors. The DIY thing works initially but finally it goes down the drain.
Anyday I would be safer with Mechanic than electrics..
maybe my perception.

Quote:

Originally Posted by theMAG (Post 481116)

Very good informatoin there. Thanks for this Mag

now guys...finally what is the conclusion....i wanted to go for the immobilizer for my safari dicor, and still leaning towards it...but just wanted to know if there are anybody who actually had this problem....cause i don't want to go out station and find my vehicle is not starting in some hilly region...that would be a nightmare..

Quote:

Originally Posted by mainak (Post 481200)
@Nimz same security would be given by gear locks or steering locks. My dad had a City 1.3 with immobilizer and body sensors. The DIY thing works initially but finally it goes down the drain.
Anyday I would be safer with Mechanic than electrics..
maybe my perception.

Hmm.. well have never looked at the gearlock option. Better than Immobilizers? In what way? I have seen the steering lock.

Isnt an immobilizer better than a gear lock or steering lock in terms of protection?

I agree there could be draw backs if it malfunctions - in those cases a gear lock maybe better.

Thanks again in advance..
NImz

chances of malfunction are less..mayb 5-10%.
Gear locks are bolted to the chasis and gear is always locked in reverse gear. So a car thief won't be able to drive away with it.

@babureddy
i had the immo malfuntioning with my 1.3 OHC. It was night time. So had to call up a friend who has mastery oer these issues. He suggested me all ways. Including the vale mode. No avail. Engine used to start, immo came into action and died. Finally had to cut power to the security system from battery and what not !

Quote:

Originally Posted by babureddy (Post 481301)
now guys...finally what is the conclusion....i wanted to go for the immobilizer for my safari dicor, and still leaning towards it...but just wanted to know if there are anybody who actually had this problem....cause i don't want to go out station and find my vehicle is not starting in some hilly region...that would be a nightmare..

I got it installed from the dealer himself for my dicorLX
its a OE fitment.. minda engineers come and fit in the rmt ctrl lckng in less than a hour. costed 5k. but is with no wirecuts as it integrates into the system seamlessly. so far no problems encountered backed by excellent mindahuf support.. highly recommended

thanks Rahul for the info..., i have asked them to go with the immobilizer lock for mine too...