Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2022, 22:00   #1

Nextbase 622 GW dashcam on a 2020 Jeep Compass

Ever since I bought My Jeep in December of 2020, I was looking for a dashcam everywhere. Right from the Jeep showroom/ service center (they had none at that time and only the meridian has an FHD model now at 36K price) to the after-market places like the JC road Bangalore (who were all only suggesting me to go for an HD or FHD option, most dint even have decent options to choose from). After reading many articles on the world wide web, speaking to multiple people, and countless hours of procrastinating, and driving with a sense of something missing in the car & fear, I have decided on going ahead with Nextbase 622 GW model dashcam with the plug-in rearview cam attachment.

I just had 2 basic and mandatory requirements:
1. At least a single channel 4k recording - It's strange or maybe I just feel it this way. Dashcam resolutions are always a level below the quoted number. For example, I feel a video taken on a 4K dashcam is only as good as a UHD video DSLR/phone, or a video shot on a UHD(2K) dashcam is only as good as an FHD(1080p) video shot on a regular camera, and so on.
2. Good night visibility - I mostly use Jeep for the highway runs especially during early mornings or late evenings.

Options considered (in order of preference)
  • Nextbase 622 GW
  • Thinkware U1000
  • BlackVue DR900
  • Garmin Dash Cam 66
  • Nextbase 522 GW
  • Go Pro 10 (Yes you read it right an action cam for Dash)
  • 70mai A800

622 GW was finalized majorly looking at the value for the price factor considering dual channel (plug and play for the rear which I loved), in-built battery for emergency events (Records approx up to 3 mins), great image stabilization, and picture quality.
It was not available online and most of the resellers who were shipping from the west were charging exorbitant prices (someone quoted 60K) and months for delivery.
Luckily a friend was traveling to Canada for a month and I sighted the opportunity to get one from Bestbuy Canada. They had offers ($100 off on cam, Free 32GB card, and a pouch) and I ended up getting everything I needed for Canadian $601.65 (Approx 34 thousand INR) including an extra click & go Pro GPS dashcam mount (This is to add in my Swift. I am the only driver for both cars and would be moving the cam to whichever hits the road on a given day)

Pictures below of what was in the package starting with the bill.

Nextbase 622 GW dashcam on a 2020 Jeep Compass-1.jpg

Nextbase 622 GW dashcam on a 2020 Jeep Compass-2.jpg

Nextbase 622 GW dashcam on a 2020 Jeep Compass-3.jpg

Nextbase 622 GW dashcam on a 2020 Jeep Compass-4.jpg

Nextbase 622 GW dashcam on a 2020 Jeep Compass-5.jpg

Nextbase 622 GW dashcam on a 2020 Jeep Compass-6.jpg

Nextbase 622 GW dashcam on a 2020 Jeep Compass-7.jpg

Nextbase 622 GW dashcam on a 2020 Jeep Compass-8.jpg

Nextbase 622 GW dashcam on a 2020 Jeep Compass-9.jpg

Nextbase 622 GW dashcam on a 2020 Jeep Compass-10.jpg

Nextbase 622 GW dashcam on a 2020 Jeep Compass-11.jpg

Nextbase 622 GW dashcam on a 2020 Jeep Compass-12.jpg

Nextbase 622 GW dashcam on a 2020 Jeep Compass-13.jpg

Nextbase 622 GW dashcam on a 2020 Jeep Compass-14.jpg

Nextbase 622 GW dashcam on a 2020 Jeep Compass-15.jpg

Nextbase 622 GW dashcam on a 2020 Jeep Compass-16.jpg

Nextbase 622 GW dashcam on a 2020 Jeep Compass-17.jpg

Nextbase 622 GW dashcam on a 2020 Jeep Compass-18.jpg

Nextbase 622 GW dashcam on a 2020 Jeep Compass-19.jpg

Installation:
Took help from the Jeep Yashwantpur service center to ensure the wire was not visible or hanging anywhere. They did a good job in tucking it underneath the glove box to A-pillar to the roof.

Nextbase 622 GW dashcam on a 2020 Jeep Compass-20.jpg

Nextbase 622 GW dashcam on a 2020 Jeep Compass-21.jpg

Nextbase 622 GW dashcam on a 2020 Jeep Compass-22.jpg

Nextbase 622 GW dashcam on a 2020 Jeep Compass-23.jpg

Nextbase 622 GW dashcam on a 2020 Jeep Compass-24.jpg

Nextbase 622 GW dashcam on a 2020 Jeep Compass-25.jpg

Nextbase 622 GW dashcam on a 2020 Jeep Compass-26.jpg

Fast forward - 10 months and approx 12 thousand km of driving in the winters of Coorg to the summers of Hyderabad & Chennai with the Dashcam, below is my feedback on the device.
  • The video and image clarity is very good. The only downside is, that it doesn't exactly capture all the vehicle number plates all the time as they advertise on the website (maybe Indian RTO to be blamed for not having clearer and bigger plates mandated)
  • No memory card comes with the box. I got a free 32 GB from Bestbuy and bought an additional Sandisk 128 GB to support my requirement.
  • It doesn't have an Indian time zone for timestamp (GMT +5 or GMT +6 hours are the only close options for India)
  • The car plate input field has 9 Characters limit and won't fit Indian 10-digit numbers in format XX XX XX XXXX
  • The Cam touch is a little slow especially if one is used to premium response rates on phones and tabs available these days. For context, consider this as a Nokia 5800 or any other mobile in the initial days of the touch screen revolution.
  • The cam hangs at times while connected to 5W adaptor power and requires a force shut down and restart (long press power). Works perfectly fine if I unplug the rear cam module. I do this if I bring the cam home to save/transfer pics and images. Maybe it requires more power and I don’t have any other USB adapter at home to verify.*
  • A 128 GB card is good to cover about 7 hours of dual channel recording or about 10 hours of single channel
  • Image stabilisation ON changes the main camera resolution to HD if the rear unit is plugged in. It remains 4K if the rear is not added. So be mindful to remove the rear cam below enabling image stabilisation while off-roading. Stabilisation OFF is more than enough for regular usage.*
  • The red button in the front is very useful if I have to lock a particular video from not overwriting and a simple tap on the screen takes a pic of the video image. It also automatically locks videos that are caught as an impact/emergency by the camera.*
  • The IOS mobile app is not great (Feel like a 1st-year college student built it as a beta app) but does the job.
  • For the parking mode to work, the dashcam requires to be hardwired (kit sold separately). I am connected to the 12V socket and hence the cam shuts down as soon as the engine is off.
  • The reason I did not opt for hardwiring is the Jeep Yashwantpur center in Bangalore told me it would void my warranty and Insurance (even if connected to a fuse box and any wires were not cut). In fact, they are connecting the Mopar dashcam (that comes from Factory with Meridian) to the rear 12V socket for Compass as an additional accessory.
  • The parking mode is a little tricky to use and I haven't been able to figure out a sure-shot way to work with it yet. I use a Mi 10,000 mah power bank for now in case I have to leave my car on the roads for quick stops and the cam records the whole time and not exactly record only in case of a bump or something. I am fine with it this way though.
  • The cam can get extremely hot depending on the outside climate. Be mindful before touching it. It froze a couple of times in Chennai heat this summer and had to be kept aside to cool down for a few mins. Better to put the cam in a pouch in case the car would be parked under direct sun.
  • What3words is good to have a feature which I haven't found much use to date) and never bothered to set up the Alexa.

Video with the settings available on the device.

Sample video recordings :

Last edited by Aditya : 19th September 2022 at 10:29. Reason: Images reattached
vardhann5 is offline   (22) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 12:31   #2
BHPian

Re: Nextbase 622 GW dashcam on a 2020 Jeep Compass

Quote:
Originally Posted by vardhann5 View Post
[*]The cam can get extremely hot depending on the outside climate. Be mindful before touching it. It froze a couple of times in Chennai heat this summer and had to be kept aside to cool down for a few mins.
That's not good sign knowing our ambient is generally hot specially in western/southern part and that too for a big period in a years. I suspect the durability will take a hit.

Although the video quality is looks quite decent, please keep updating your real life experiences/additions with this dashcam. Although your initial observations are also quite detailed.

Thanks for the nice review.
Old 20th September 2022, 15:41   #3
BHPian

Quote:
After reading many articles on the world wide web, speaking to multiple people, and countless hours of procrastinating, and driving with a sense of something missing in the car & fear, I have decided on going ahead with Nextbase 622 GW model dashcam with the plug-in rearview cam attachment.
Hi vardhann5,

Sorry to bombard you with the following questions. I have been on the lookout for a very good dash Cam and shortlisted Nextbase 622 GW & Garmin 67W.
I am not able to finalise my car purchase, and based on the position/availability of the 12V power socket in the new car, I planned to close in on the purchase of a dash cam.

Would highly appreciate your response to the following questions:
  1. Is there an option to turn off the vehicle's speed display on the footage? In your video about UI options, do the "Speed Stamp" settings apply to this?
  2. Any regrets or afterthoughts about purchasing a different brand? If so, what/ which brand?
  3. Why didn't you consider the rear window mount cam? The rear cam you use does not give proper visibility of the vehicles/road behind.
  4. Does it require ONLY one 12V power socket to connect to both the front & rear cam?
  5. Is one power source sufficient to connect both the front & rear cams?
  6. Is the cable long enough to connect the front & rear cam with just one power source?
  7. Do you recommend purchasing only the Nextbase SD card or from any other brand?
  8. Are you using polarizing lens/filter?
  9. I have seen many reviews complaining about the compatibility with iPhone. How bad or manageable is it?
  10. How do you connect the Mi 10,000 mah power bank with the Cam? By unplugging the 12v socket or?

Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 17:18   #4
BHPian

Quote:
At least a single channel 4k recording - It's strange or maybe I just feel it this way. Dashcam resolutions are always a level below the quoted number. For example, I feel a video taken on a 4K dashcam is only as good as a UHD video DSLR/phone, or a video shot on a UHD(2K) dashcam is only as good as an FHD(1080p) video shot on a regular camera, and so on.
Not true sir. It's because we view videos on YouTube which compresses the video which causes a slight reduction in quality.

Quote:
622 GW was finalized majorly looking at the value for the price factor considering dual channel (plug and play for the rear which I loved), in-built battery for emergency events (Records approx up to 3 mins), great image stabilization, and picture quality.
You don't need image stabilisation in cars. We have shocks and struts for that.

Quote:
It was not available online and most of the resellers who were shipping from the west were charging exorbitant prices (someone quoted 60K) and months for delivery. Luckily a friend was traveling to Canada for a month and I sighted the opportunity to get one from Bestbuy Canada
You should've checked out blackboxmycar.ca. You would have got a value for money dashcam in this price range. You had a healthy budget.

Quote:
They had offers ($100 off on cam, Free 32GB card, and a pouch) and I ended up getting everything I needed for Canadian $601.65 (Approx 34 thousand INR) including an extra click & go Pro GPS dashcam mount (This is to add in my Swift.
Could have got a proper dual dashcam here in lot less price range, some discreet models are available too.

Quote:
The only downside is, that it doesn't exactly capture all the vehicle number plates all the time as they advertise on the website (maybe Indian RTO to be blamed for not having clearer and bigger plates mandated)
No dashcam however cheap or expensive you find can read plates all the time. Nope. They have limitations. Our HSRP Plates too are reflective. Other than that windshield angle, camera mount angle too plays role.

Quote:
It doesn't have an Indian time zone for timestamp (GMT +5 or GMT +6 hours are the only close options for India)
Not a deal breaker.

Quote:
The car plate input field has 9 Characters limit and won't fit Indian 10-digit numbers in format XX XX XX XXXX

Quote:
The cam hangs at times while connected to 5W adaptor power and requires a force shut down and restart (long press power). Works perfectly fine if I unplug the rear cam module. I do this if I bring the cam home to save/transfer pics and images. Maybe it requires more power and I don’t have any other USB adapter at home to verify.
Check the specifications of adapter which you got with this camera. If they match the adaptor which you use at home then it's a bummer otherwise it's voltage issue.

Quote:
Image stabilisation ON changes the main camera resolution to HD if the rear unit is plugged in. It remains 4K if the rear is not added. So be mindful to remove the rear cam below enabling image stabilisation while off-roading. Stabilisation OFF is more than enough for regular usage.
Stabilisation for something which is stuck on windshield? I don't think it'd do anything. It's already stable because it's mounted on windshield. Stabilisation only makes sense if it shakes like if it is hand or head mounted. Doesn't make much sense in cars though.

Quote:
The IOS mobile app is not great (Feel like a 1st-year college student built it as a beta app) but does the job.
Apps are mostly useless for dashcams. Better to pop out the card and view the files on computer. No lagging, no error. Works everytime.

Quote:
For the parking mode to work, the dashcam requires to be hardwired (kit sold separately). I am connected to the 12V socket and hence the cam shuts down as soon as the engine is off.
But didn't you mention about its battery? If it doesn't work for parking mode then what is the actual use of battery?

Quote:
The reason I did not opt for hardwiring is the Jeep Yashwantpur center in Bangalore told me it would void my warranty and Insurance (even if connected to a fuse box and any wires were not cut).
Insurance too? Man, they really don't trust the wiring.

Quote:
The parking mode is a little tricky to use and I haven't been able to figure out a sure-shot way to work with it yet. I use a Mi 10,000 mah power bank for now in case I have to leave my car on the roads for quick stops and the cam records the whole time and not exactly record only in case of a bump or something. I am fine with it this way though.
Please don't leave powerbank in your car. See the thread listed below.

Quote:
The cam can get extremely hot depending on the outside climate. Be mindful before touching it. It froze a couple of times in Chennai heat this summer and had to be kept aside to cool down for a few mins. Better to put the cam in a pouch in case the car would be parked under direct sun.
That's a deal breaker.
These things are fit and forget type. Handling them like you mentioned would be a pain. Reminds me when people used to remove their stereo headunits and carry them along to save them from stealing. Here this needs to be done to save it from summers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNL_Bandi View Post
Hi vardhann5,

Sorry to bombard you with the following questions. I have been on the lookout for a very good dash Cam and shortlisted Nextbase 622 GW & Garmin 67W.
I am not able to finalise my car purchase, and based on the position/availability of the 12V power socket in the new car, I planned to close in on the purchase of a dash cam.

[list=1][*]Is there an option to turn off the vehicle's speed display on the footage? In your video about UI options, do the "Speed Stamp" settings apply to this?[*]Any regrets or afterthoughts about purchasing a different brand? If so, what/ which brand?
Sorry to intervene, but what exactly did you like in this dashcam for which you're about to shell 34k?

OP has already mentioned that it freezes under direct sun. Research on this aspect because in our temperatures when devices start freezing due to overheating, their life reduces drastically.

These devices are made for countries considering lower temperatures in mind. You can find any good product which retails for a lot less and also has CPL filter and other paraphernalia included. See the last few pages of Dashcam/DVR Thread (The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread)
You'll find better options.

Also, I'd say again as I've been saying in other threads. Get any dashcam but please get one which does not have inbuilt battery. You know why? See the image below, this is what happens to batteries in our temperatures. We have extreme temperatures.

Quote:
Do you recommend purchasing only the Nextbase SD card or from any other brand?
Please purchase cards domestically. They are designed for our temperatures and it would be easy to claim warranty in case they fail.

Quote:
How do you connect the Mi 10,000 mah power bank with the Cam? By unplugging the 12v socket or?
Please don't keep powerbanks in car when it is under direct sun. This is what happens See (Insurance claim after Powerbank explodes inside a car?)

Nextbase 622 GW dashcam on a 2020 Jeep Compass-img_20220920_1635441.jpg

This is what happens to batteries in our temperatures.
batish is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 19:55   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post

Also, I'd say again as I've been saying in other threads. Get any dashcam but please get one which does not have inbuilt battery. You know why? See the image below, this is what happens to batteries in our temperatures. We have extreme temperatures.

I second this, and tell everyone the same who's looking out for a dashcam in India. Back in 2016, I bought down a Firefly 6s and fixed it on my KUV100. Just after 2 weeks of usage or so, the battery started to swell up. I then bought a newer version of the same and the result after using it for some days wasn't different as before. I have extensively used these cameras in Singapore and they used to work well without breaking a sweat.

Currently, using a 70mai (S$52 for one) for both front and rear recordings and they work pretty well. Although, video quality and overall functions are just a slight notch below than OP's cam, I have never had any issues with sudden shut downs or any of that sort.
E = mc² is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 21:17   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by UD17 View Post
That's not good sign knowing our ambient is generally hot specially in western/southern part and that too for a big period in a years. I suspect the durability will take a hit.
Yeah, I agree too. But then, we don’t really have cams that can work at 45 degree plus. The problem is only when the car is under direct sun and not running. (Assuming we turn on AC while driving in hot conditions)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KNL_Bandi View Post
Hi vardhann5,

I would suggest Garmin only due to service availability in India for any problems. For Nextbase, we need to run to Australia, UK or North America.

Quote:

Is there an option to turn off the vehicle's speed display on the footage? In your video about UI options, do the "Speed Stamp" settings apply to this?
Yes, we have an option to remove the speed stamp.

Quote:
Any regrets or afterthoughts about purchasing a different brand? If so, what/ which brand?
Not really. I am happy with the cam performance. I would upgrade to a 360 one if we get a compact single-cam which records all sides in the future.

Quote:
Why didn't you consider the rear window mount cam? The rear cam you use does not give proper visibility of the vehicles/road behind.
I just don’t like the wiring and tweaking to the interiors it requires in order to install. Plus it looks a little ugly from the rear to me. The current one solves the purpose for me

Quote:
Does it require ONLY one 12V power socket to connect to both the front & rear cam?
Yes, just 1 connection for the main unit to which the rear module is plugged in.

Quote:
Is one power source sufficient to connect both the front & rear cams?
Yes

Quote:
[*]Is the cable long enough to connect the front & rear cam with just one power source?
Yes, it’s big enough for my requirement.

Quote:
Do you recommend purchasing only the Nextbase SD card or from any other brand?
Any good brand is good enough. Just ensure the specs are matching.

Quote:
Are you using polarizing lens/filter?
This model has one fitted by default.

Quote:
I have seen many reviews complaining about the compatibility with iPhone. How bad or manageable is it?
I am on iPhone and it works fine. No concerns here.

Quote:
How do you connect the Mi 10,000 mah power bank with the Cam? By unplugging the 12v socket or?

Thanks
Yes, I remove the 12v wire and put the power bank cable. Please note that the default cable that comes out of the box is very short, I bought a lengthier one outside.

Quote:
Not true sir. It's because we view videos on YouTube which compresses the video which causes a slight reduction in quality.
I am referring to other ways of viewing as well. My 4K videos shot on other devices are no comparison to this one. One needs the right devices to find the difference.

Quote:
You don't need image stabilisation in cars. We have shocks and struts for that.
One does need it if they are driving on bad patches of road to get good videos. Personal choice I would say.

Quote:
You should've checked out blackboxmycar.ca. You would have got a value for money dashcam in this price range. You had a healthy budget.

Could have got a proper dual dashcam here in lot less price range, some discreet models are available too.
I did. They dint quite impress me with their offerings at the price tag. They were not cheap either and I wasn’t willing to take a risk with them.

Quote:
No dashcam however cheap or expensive you find can read plates all the time. Nope. They have limitations. Our HSRP Plates too are reflective. Other than that windshield angle, camera mount angle too plays role.
Couldn’t agree more.

Quote:
Check the specifications of adapter which you got with this camera. If they match the adaptor which you use at home then it's a bummer otherwise it's voltage issue.
No adapter was provided in the box.

Quote:
Stabilisation for something which is stuck on windshield? I don't think it'd do anything. It's already stable because it's mounted on windshield. Stabilisation only makes sense if it shakes like if it is hand or head mounted. Doesn't make much sense in cars though.
It sounds about alright in theory but doesn’t in practicality. One needs to witness to understand. Again, for non-offroading usage, it’s not required.

Quote:
But didn't you mention about its battery? If it doesn't work for parking mode then what is the actual use of battery?
It’s used for emergencies only. Like accidents when the car stops.

Quote:
Insurance too? Man, they really don't trust the wiring.
Quote:
Please don't leave powerbank in your car. See the thread listed below.
Note. I usually leave it in glovebox or under the seat and ensure no direct sun hits it.

Quote:
Sorry to intervene, but what exactly did you like in this dashcam for which you're about to shell 34k?

OP has already mentioned that it freezes under direct sun. Research on this aspect because in our temperatures when devices start freezing due to overheating, their life reduces drastically.

These devices are made for countries considering lower temperatures in mind. You can find any good product which retails for a lot less and also has CPL filter and other paraphernalia included. See the last few pages of Dashcam/DVR Thread (The Dashcam / Car Video Recorder (DVR) Thread)
You'll find better options.
This one can handle temperature up to 45 degree C on paper.

Last edited by Aditya : 21st September 2022 at 05:20. Reason: Quote tags fixed
vardhann5 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th September 2022, 22:40   #7
BHPian

Quote:
No adapter provided in the box.
I meant the 12v socket which you plug in the cigarette socket. Check its specifications and match with the one you use at home.

Quote:
It’s used for emergency only. Like accidents when car stops.
Oh. So how long does it record after the mishap?

Quote:
This one can handle temperature up to 45 degree C on paper.
The problem is, we have ambient temperatures of about 46-47º here in northern India. If you leave car outdoors during that time cabin temperatures reach to about 70-72º within an hour.

I can't find the screenshot now but few days back I left my phone in car. It was inside glove box and car was parked under direct sun. When I came back, switched on AC, plugged in charging cable and guess what? It started beeping and showed a notification of overheating. Can't recall the exact line but something like this was displayed on phone 'Charging will automatically resume after phone cools down'.

So please be careful as it has a battery in it, working/not-working is secondary.
Old 22nd September 2022, 08:19   #8
BHPian

Quote:
The problem is, we have ambient temperatures of about 46-47º here in northern India. If you leave car outdoors during that time cabin temperatures reach to about 70-72º within an hour.

I can't find the screenshot now but few days back I left my phone in car. It was inside glove box and car was parked under direct sun.
Thanks for the feedback. Found this interesting
https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/india...ml#post4217503 (Insurance claim after Powerbank explodes inside a car?)
Old 23rd September 2022, 04:27   #9
BHPian

Thanks for the review. Although you have already spent this money but for the benefit of all Bhpians, I would not go for this camera and most important at this price point. For Rs 34000/- you have many good option including your number 2 choice when bought with some discount. This is primitive for the price paid.

The timezone setting is a big no as in case of dash cam footage as evidence, it plays a big role. Another bad is the temperature limit, we need nothing less than 65/70 deg and sometime even that may not be sufficient. No comment on inbuilt battery assuming you remove it when in hot sun.
Also please consider mounting the dashcam little lower so that it can be within wiper cleaning zone for better picture.
Wanderers is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st January 2024, 18:05   #10

Hi can someone suggest a good dashcam for Jeep compass 2017? Currently I am based out of Calicut, so is there any place i can have it installed? Since my Jeep is 5 years old so i dont think i will have issues with warranty. Would I?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks