Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 1st July 2007, 02:13   #1
BHPian

My Friend's Gypsy project

Hey Guys went to visit my friend who owns his own Workshop the other day and he showed me his Gypsy that he was working on. You can even call it an experimental Project as he is experimenting or will be experimenting with many things on the Gypsy.

He is planning to do a lot of mods to his Gypsy.
I asked him if I could share info about his Gypsy with you Guys, He said yes so here it goes.

The Car is not even half done but here are some pics.
(Sorry for crappy pics, Digi cam is with my Sis) (And it was getting dark and raining)

Old 1st July 2007, 03:07   #2
Senior - BHPian

Hmmm... with that twin cab conversion the original charm of the Gypsy design is lost. The residual loading bay looks like a stubby add on. For better aesthetics the twin cab design needs a slightly longer chassis.

Did he convert that loading bay into a mini boot?!
Old 1st July 2007, 12:36   #3
BHPian

a BIT BOXY..

Hi,

it seems that your friend is adding a lot of metal to the vehicle..
And the design looks a bit boxy.

But utility-wise the modification will be a success.

My personal opinion
front cabin can have metal top the rest should be soft top.
and the metal roof should be kept parallel ( no raising of roof in the name of head rrom)
that retains the gypsy looks..
Old 1st July 2007, 14:01   #4
BHPian

Utility wise looks good..
But being a great fan of the Gypsy feels bad to see the rugged beauty of the vehicle lost... :-(
Old 1st July 2007, 15:02   #5
Senior - BHPian

Wheels way OUT of the bodyline - don't know if that is good for handling ?? The height of the vehicle as in GC seems high - again not good for handling. Agree with earlier posts about the BOXY design. BUT if your friend is happy then great..

Cheers
Old 1st July 2007, 15:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

if i had to make my gypsy in a more practical vehicle i would get a hard top of a normal gypsy hard top and then paint it into body color and add a small door at the rear

as ricky_63 said the handling would not be good

Last edited by manikjeet : 1st July 2007 at 15:15.
Old 1st July 2007, 15:35   #7
Team-BHP Support

I guess its better to comment after seeing the final outcome.

@Gtea: what all mods going to be done?
Old 1st July 2007, 17:04   #8
Senior - BHPian

Is it a 3 door? I see 2 doors on 1 side and 1 door on one side... body work complete?
Old 1st July 2007, 18:53   #9
Senior - BHPian

I see that as you mentioned, the body work is not complete. He still has to add that flared wheel well at the RHS rear and I suppose a door on the RHS rear is coming as well? If not what is the idea of a three door? Ive seen some four door conversions of the Gypsy. I also see the Bonnet has some sort of scoop on it. Could'nt be seen fully due to pic angle. What mods is he planning in the engine front? Please update with more pics as it seems interesting.
Old 1st July 2007, 19:04   #10
BHPian

i agree with most of the comments here, looks very boxy[atleast now] dont know how it would look after its finished, can comment on it if you put pics of the finished job.
Old 1st July 2007, 21:41   #11
BHPian

I like the Gypsy in it's true original shape. The twin cab conversion takes out all the fun character out of it.
Old 2nd July 2007, 01:03   #12
BHPian

Update on the Mods.

Suspension.
First of all he has integrated coil spring for the front. (Don't ask me how, I don't know myself)
Secondly, he is using Bolero leaf springs at the rear with Shocks that I don't know of. (Will ask specifically when I meet him Again)

Engine.
He is using the old carb 1.0 ltr engine. But the thing is that he is trying to use a Scorpio Turbo that he got second hand. (We are still trying to figure out how to bring the boost down so as not to melt or blow up anything.)

He is also planning to put Air conditioning and power steering.

I personally think the design is a bit boxy, but its not my car so, whatever makes him happy.
Will update with pics ASAP.
(Its not my car but it still excites me)

P.S. - Guys as I mentioned before, You can even call this an experimental project. Because lots of experiments will be carried out to the engine before he really decides what engine he wants to swap to.
AND whatever I have mentioned about the engine, A/C, Power steering may change as this is a work in progress.
Oh, will go take pics of his tyres and alloys when he goes to collect them.

@Shankar: He did convert that loading bay into a mini boot. (I'm still trying to convince him to install a mini bar in there :-) )

Last edited by Gtea : 2nd July 2007 at 01:06.
Old 16th July 2009, 00:59   #13
BHPian

re: coil suspension

Can you please try to get details of the suspension mods done to this vehicle with detailed pics of the coil spring system.
The only example of a coil suspension I cam across was vijay parmar's gypsy used during one of the raids.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gtea View Post
Update on the Mods.

Suspension.
First of all he has integrated coil spring for the front. (Don't ask me how, I don't know myself)
Secondly, he is using Bolero leaf springs at the rear with Shocks that I don't know of. (Will ask specifically when I meet him Again)

Please please update with pics.

regards,
Abheek
Old 16th July 2009, 10:20   #14
BHPian

IMHO, the boxy design everyone talking here has taken the inspiration from Humvee, and somehow I find it quite interesting.
1 lt. stock engine is grossly underpowered, atleast 1.3 lt MPFi is required, though Scorpio 2.6 is great but fitting would be a major issue.
Old 17th July 2009, 20:20   #15
BHPian

To early to post any comments about the design but from the looks of it, your friend seems to have an intresting design plotted in his head and am sure its going to turn out very good. All the very best for this project and please do keep us posted with W.I.P pics.
@Turbo Head - Its only the Scorpio's "turbo", that he mentioned, his friend is going to use and not the whole engine.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks