Team-BHP - Rain affects engine?
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Rain affects engine? (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/25837-rain-affects-engine.html)

Dear Bhpins !

I stays in mumbai, as you know from last 2/3 days its raining badly in Mumbai ( Infact in entire Maharsahtra),, I did not took my car out for 3 complete days,, yesterday when I took my car out.. it was running sluggishly. Some time I was feeling my car is running underpower, I have Zen Vxi 2003. MPFI engine,,,, I parks my car in open space,, No shelter,, does heavy rain affects the engine ??

Plz help me to solve my question

Best Reagrds,
Jitendra

Check the air pressure. If you fill in the required PSI when hot, and it rains and cools down you will see more than 10-15% drop in air pressure which means a very sluggish car.
Apart from that unless water gets into the car(submerged car) you should not feel any problems.
In some cases when wheels are submerged partially, the bearings give away, leading to more friction, but that is easily detected by a peculiar sound from the wheels.

If water (very heavy rain?) splashes up inside the engine and wets the electrics the car will be unstartable or sluggish. But that should pass as soon as it has dried out.

I parked a car where some fairly heavy spray was coming in off the sea once. When we came to leave, it started ok, just nothing much happened when pressing the accelerator, and it would not even begin to climb the slight slope out of the car park.

This used to be a serious problem with the old Padminis. The distributor had to be wipe-dried before it would start again.

Unless water enters the engine; e.g: thru a turbo, it shouldnt be much of a problem with modern cars

More than the fiat & its variants, the Landmasters & its followers (read Amby) had this acute problem...:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by theMAG (Post 486513)
This used to be a serious problem with the old Padminis. The distributor had to be wipe-dried before it would start again.

Unless water enters the engine; e.g: thru a turbo, it shouldnt be much of a problem with modern cars

Ok... here is a hypothetical question people. If it is continuously raining for days the humidity level will be very high. More so in the coastal areas like Mumbai. Now in a car that has remained stationary for a while the engine will be dead cold. So for the first few kms the air that gets sucked in will have high moisture content and may not dry up enough. Will that cause a sluggish response? Its entirely hypothetical but I think a possibility does exist.

nicejits, did you feel the sluggishness go away after driving for, say 4-5 kms?

Jitendra,
Did you drive while its raining. Reasons for sluggishness: Friction between the tyre and road is been lubricated by water, you wouldn't have grip. Or water in exhaust system might increase the back pressure will run sluggish or give you extra boom noise ! If you driving in stagnant water then it has all reason to run sluggish.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom (Post 486316)
I parked a car where some fairly heavy spray was coming in off the sea once. When we came to leave, it started ok, just nothing much happened when pressing the accelerator, and it would not even begin to climb the slight slope out of the car park.

Was that your old Indica ?? :)

Useful resource discussing the same topic:

CR4 - Blog Entry: Why Won't The Car Start?: Newsletter Challenge (04/24/07)

Zappo,

After driving 4/5 km ,,, drive was smooth. U can say Back to normal...

My daiy run is 60km... now i have no problem ...

Thx,
JItendra