One can get K&N filters and cleaning kits in Delhi from its authorised dealer:

Mr.Grover
Bharat Car Accessories
2268/68, Abdul Aziz Road,
Karol Bagh, New Delhi
Cell: 9811225557
Old 26th August 2007, 14:52   #17
BHPian

gd sir ..to be very frank I got my K&N extreme from him and it wasnt a very nice experience (both the price and the install). I wont like to mention how much I paid. I would not recommend Bharat car to anyone unless there is no other option left.
Old 26th August 2007, 15:29   #18
Senior - BHPian

Oh,oh. I was planning to install a K&N Extreme in my Scorpio from him. In that case who else do you reccommend?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rishibravo View Post
gd sir ..to be very frank I got my K&N extreme from him and it wasnt a very nice experience (both the price and the install). I wont like to mention how much I paid. I would not recommend Bharat car to anyone unless there is no other option left.
Old 26th August 2007, 16:36   #19
BHPian

you are in ggaon... Why dont you talk to Arush. I am sure he would do the job for you.
Old 26th August 2007, 21:09   #20
BHPian

ok so I utilized my sunday and cleaned my K&N with my newly acquired K&N cleaning kit and its very easy to do. Here are the before and after pics of my K&N extreme

Before Cleaning:

After Cleaning:

I still have to take a drive and see if the cleaning has made any difference. The amount of dirt which came out after the wash really scared me. Believe me you should be thankful to your filters
Old 26th August 2007, 23:33   #21
Senior - BHPian

Damn..!! Life of a student-First accumulate money to get the K&N and now need to get this cleaning kit for 1K too..
kpzen is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th August 2007, 09:37   #22
BHPian

A cheaper solution is to get it cleaned from somewhere. Shouldnt cost you more that 200 bucks.
Old 27th August 2007, 09:45   #23
BHPian

Any recommendation as to where i can get it cleaned in Mumbai?
Old 27th August 2007, 10:18   #24
BHPian

I also need to get down to cleaning it one of these days. Its run for 19K and looks dirty now. Since I dont have the stock filter, I will lose one half day for the whole process. Cleaning kit has been with me for some time now.

Make sure the filter is dry and properly oiled before plonking it back. Too much oil and too less oil, you are in trouble.
Old 27th August 2007, 14:24   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumil View Post
Any recommendation as to where i can get it cleaned in Mumbai?
Four Seasons Tardeo, near Cross roads.
Old 27th August 2007, 14:57   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
ok so I utilized my sunday and cleaned my K&N with my newly acquired K&N cleaning kit and its very easy to do.
How about a step-by-step guide on cleaning one of these? I'm sure it'll be useful for all of us trying a DIY for the first time.
Old 27th August 2007, 16:32   #27
Senior - BHPian

Step 1 - Remove Filter
Step 2 - Spray with KnN Cleaning Oil
Step 3 - Wash with Water
Step 4 - Let filter Dry(Naturally)
Step 5 - Re-oil with KnN Oiling

& Voila.....!!
Old 27th August 2007, 16:44   #28
BHPian

Step by Step Guide to recharge your K&N filter

I would like to share the step by step procedure for cleaning your K&N filter. The instructions for cleaning a stock replacement filter can be seen found here and it was the same on the instruction leaflet in the K&N recharger kit. It was pretty helpful. The cleaning process for conical filter is the same but a little tricky

Tips before you start:
  • Make sure you have ample of time with you because you will need the time for the filter to dry up.
  • Do the cleaning and oiling in an open area and definitely not in a room (I learnt this the hard way...come to my room and you can still smell the cleaner)
  • If you are dealing with a universal filter then you have to give it a lot of time to dry. Because of the mesh on the surface it will appear to be dry but if you place a tissue on it and press gently you will find out its not. In order to make sure that the filter is completely dry I would suggest you leave it to dry overnight.
Step by Step Procedure:
  1. Take the filter out carefully off the plumbing and preferably when the engine bay is not hot to avoid any injuries .
  2. Once the filter is out, gently tap it with any hard object to remove the superficial muck and dirt sticking to it (Always tap on the rubber housing of the filter and never on the mesh/pleats ). take a worn out dry tooth brush or any soft bristles brush to remove any dirt that you can see sticking to the filter.
  3. Now take the cleaner bottle (which in my case was an aerosol spray ) and spray on the filter in this order(as it says in the leaflet) : * Spray the inside (cleaner side) of the filter. * Spray the outside (dirtier side ) of the filter.
  4. Spray enough cleaner throughout the filter so that it looks saturated. Wait for 10 mins ( Do not let the cleaner dry off on the filter)
  5. Wash the filter with cool low-pressure water. Flush the dirt out of air filter by applying water to the clean side of the filter.
    Do this process close to the drain because your filter is dirtier than you think. After the wash inspect the filter for any dirt . If there are dirty patches then apply the cleaning spray on that area and wash it off.
  6. After washing shake off the excess water from the filter ( and it requires a lot of shaking ). Now let the filter dry for a few hours (preferably overnight).
  7. Once the filter is COMPLETELY dry apply the K&N filter oil (in my case this is also in form of aerosol spray). Do not spray in a zig-zag fashion or in circles but Spray along the length of the pleat till a uniform pinkish red colour is obtained. The colour is similar to the colour of a new K&N filter. Dont forget the top portion of your filter if its an extreme filter (you have pleats there too).
  8. Allow the oil to get absorbed by the filter for 20-30 mins and then check for any damages to the filter.If everything looks fine then install the filter back and tighten the clamp screw. Your K&N is now recharged .
PS: Please wash your hands properly with soap after handling these cleaning kit bottles

EDIT: I hope I didnt go overboard with this. I felt I did after I saw BUSA's to the point procedure

Last edited by rishibravo : 27th August 2007 at 16:47.
Old 27th August 2007, 17:59   #29
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I hope I didnt go overboard with this.
Nope... not at all! Was very helpful indeed. Thanks for the step-by-step
Will try it out this wknd!
Old 27th August 2007, 18:18   #30
Senior - BHPian

thanks rishi bravo - i was just about planning to have the filters cleaned and this thread really helps

do share the experience after u replaced it ( any perceitible improvement in pick up ? )

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks