Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd January 2023, 15:33   #16
BHPian

Re: Why I spent Rs 40,000 on Sunfilm at Speedfreaks, Chennai

I think the pictures are making it look darker than what it really is. They are quite light, and easy to see what’s happening in the vehicle. Can’t be up to no good inside and not let anyone notice.

I find it almost impossible to drive without sun film. The glare and heat really tires you out on long drives. Having good quality sun film really aids to safety and comfort!
thirdmainroad is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 15:53   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdmainroad View Post

I find it almost impossible to drive without sun film. The glare and heat really tires you out on long drives. Having good quality sun film really aids to safety and comfort!
Agree with you. Like you said one has to experience what one was missing to realize what one was missing.

However, whatever justification we provide, the law clearly states that any sort of light reduction film outside of the factory fitted glass is *illegal* . So whatever way we want to spin it, fact remains that it is illegal. So, one can be stopped and fined or worse get the film stripped on the spot by police. In big cities, the cops may not make a big issue of it. However, if you go to a small city or travel out of state to smaller cities in TS/MH/AP there are cops who are not so loaded with work and have a lot of time on their hands, an out of state car with sunfilms is like a money pot to them.

Just pray and hope you do not need to face any consequences of this. Even I have sat in car with sunfilm and my car does not have one. So I know what +ve difference sunfilm makes.
sagarpadaki is online now   (8) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 09:59   #18
BHPian

Quote:

Yes, sun film is indeed illegal and banned. And I am ashamed indeed for breaking the law, but unfortunately the film is much needed down here and I am willing to risk it and will pay the penalties when required!
Anywhere in North, the cops will surely flag down the car, or at a signal, tear down the film and also issue a challan irrespective of the sunfilm is of 70% transparency. Not a single car in Chandigarh has a sunfilm.
gauravdgr8 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 10:55   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Well it’s good I am not in Kerala or Bangalore or Delhi then! In Chennai, the police do not mind tints at all, and all is well.
To be honest, cops in Chennai are much more understanding and merciful! I also live in a road where police checkings are notorious and cross random police checkposts every other day. Except for 1-2 times where they have warned, they haven't taken any formal action.

Hope it continues like this as the summers are extremely unbearable sitting inside

I'm having a 50% black tint in my i10 NIOS(yes, Black!. Wasn't much technically aware back then and my assumption was if it's darker, it's cooler ) and at some angles under sunlight/sunlight reflections under tree for example, it looks like a 80-100% tint unless someone is sitting near the window as the interior of the car is also black (it's a sportz dual tone with blacked out interiors)

Why I spent Rs 40,000 on Sunfilm at Speedfreaks, Chennai-side-eve-view.jpeg

Last edited by shravansp24 : 25th January 2023 at 11:01.
shravansp24 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 11:24   #20
BHPian

Darker the tint does not mean higher heat rejection. It’s the quality of film that matters. You can get dark tints - where the film is just dyed dark - which offers no heat rejection at all! 3Ms SP series are films like that. Dark, no heat rejection - designed for privacy and are cheap.

Crystallised film will offer heat rejection, and so does Ceramic film, which offers the highest heat rejection.

So it really depends on what you want - privacy or heat rejection. And also, of course your budget. But I do think in climatic conditions like ours, high end heat resistant film is the way to go and a worthy, worthy long term investment.
thirdmainroad is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 11:36   #21
BHPian

Quote:
Darker the tint does not mean higher heat rejection. It’s the quality of film that matters. You can get dark tints - where the film is just dyed dark - which offers no heat rejection at all! 3Ms SP series are films like that. Dark, no heat rejection - designed for privacy and are cheap.
100% agreed with your first point, but regarding 3m SP series, mine is a 3m SP series and though I couldn't find much heat difference when parked under the sun before and after installing them, it is decently good especially when direct sunlight hits on your arms, previously it used to burn but now it feels like just a normal light

Last edited by shravansp24 : 25th January 2023 at 11:45.
Old 25th January 2023, 11:40   #22
BHPian

Quote:

I knew as soon as I got the car I had to get a high quality sun film installed - the heat and glare was rather uncomfortable, especially coming from driving a car with CR 90s and CR 40s installed. You don't know what you are missing unless you know what you are missing!
Wishing you thousands of happy & comfortable Kilometers in your car!
Surprised by the reaction on the thread, even more surprised how many people are not using sun films.
I have 70% visibility sunfilm on my car since last 9 years. Stayed in Bangalore for 4 years, stayed in Gurgaon(drove to Delhi 3 times a week) for 3 years. Never have I been stopped for sun films. Driven through Punjab, Chandigarh, Mumbai, Hyderabad. Did not face an issue. Mind you mine is a MH registered car.
Have been stopped for all usual extortion tactics High security number plate, PUC, general document check in middle of nowhere. They never noticed the sun film.
It is mind boggling what all trivial things are illegal in India. Remember when Hon SC had banned all alcohol outlets 500 mtrs from highways?
nickelniks is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 12:02   #23
Senior - BHPian

Come on guys, let's give him a break. Repainting a car without making a note of it on the RC is also illegal. How many of us have done it and openly discussed it here? Attaching running boards is also illegal if you go by the books. I understand how hot it can get in Chennai (not that it's an excuse to break law), the car doesn't look so bad. It's a little tinted, I don't think cops in Telangana would give a headache. I have seen almost 100% tints on many occasions and cops didn't look interested. Maybe they get a challan. Anyway, I think the Apex court needs to re-visit items like these and make some amends.
Raghu M is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 12:15   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
I have been flagged down for using the factory fitted middle row sunblinds on my Hexa. You can’t get past an overzealous cop with a target to meet. And in case you are from out of state, it’s just too easy for them.
I too have been flagged down for using the factory-fitted blinds in my Hexa in Chandigarh. It's only to be used on the highways he said

From what I know, factory-fitted UV tints and blinds that comply with visibility standards are legally allowed? Tried filing an RTI to get some document in hand in case someone points it out again, but didn't get any useful response and have been keeping them rolled ever since.

You can't argue with Chandigarh police, can you now?
sugam is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 12:32   #25
BHPian

I have be stopped twice in Mumbai twice in 2 different cars and had my film ripped off. This was immediately after the supreme court judgement and cops were overly enthu about it at the time. However haven't kept films since then.
Old 25th January 2023, 12:45   #26
BHPian

I've been using those ugly magnetic "curtains" for the past six years in gurgaon. I haven't gotten in trouble yet, but if I do, I'll pay them and put back the curtain at the earliest.
Although I have noticed jet black film on cars with obvious signs of "locals" in them and they just drive by as the cops look on.
Himalayan_Ice is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 12:50   #27
NTO
BHPian

Quote:
After spending a bomb on accessories and audio upgrades in most of my previous cars, I've come to realise that high quality Sun Film is THE most important investment a car owner can make on his vehicle as an after mod.
Appears to be a typical Karthikk Raj's phenomenal work. That said, as few of the other BHPians have pointed out, the car will not be missed by the cops if they are in the mood for some peeling and fining fun.
This mostly has to do with the teal color choice for the film. Grey or green would probably be dismissed as no sunfilm or the factory fitted UV cut glasses. One such film I found and have been using on the windscreens of my cars is the Garware Icecool Green for the front wind screen. It also comes in the color of grey.

In Chennai you should not have a problem. On request a cop who stopped my dad's car for a fancy number plate (installed by the previous owner), released us without a fine and just a warning as we were heading for a movie and getting late. Cops are generally friendly in Chennai and they understand the harsh weather we endure. Only the neighboring states of Karnataka and kerala are a bit of a bother.

Last edited by NTO : 25th January 2023 at 12:53.
NTO is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 14:41   #28
BHPian

It is just a matter of time.

Now I see cops stopping lot of two wheeler for helmet and crossing the line etc. When two wheelers follow the rules, obviously the collection of fine is going to go down and then the cops will wake up one fine morning and sure it will be a chaos on road, when the cars are stopped and asked to get rid of the films.
I too have a 3M film with 70 transparency on my Ertiga, but so far never got stopped by cops for sunflim in the last 9 years )
.HEM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 15:43   #29
BHPian

Though they look pretty cool, i just hope you don’t have Delhi styled cops in Chennai. Here cops will fine you + tear off that sunfilm which, is a scary occurrence given the cost.

Best of luck 🤞
Schneller is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2023, 16:10   #30

I used to have the CR40 installed on my windshield. Within just 3 to 4 years it had way too many scratches and I felt it distorted the light of oncoming traffic during night driving. The SC ruling and my low Vitamin D reports made me rip it off myself :P

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks