Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2023, 12:31   #1
BHPian

Why I spent Rs 40,000 on Sunfilm at Speedfreaks, Chennai

After spending a bomb on accessories and audio upgrades in most of my previous cars, I've come to realise that high quality Sun Film is THE most important investment a car owner can make on his vehicle as an after mod. Initially sceptical about Sun Film on the wind shield, I learnt after previously installing 3M's CR 90 on my WRV its a very worthy investment. Cuts heat and glare considerably and does not interfere with vision, in fact it aids it.

I just got myself a Volkswagon Taigun 1.5 GT, and just can't stop driving it. I've clocked 4000 km in less than 2 weeks, driving it just for the sake of hitting various types of roads. It sure is a FUN car to drive!

I knew as soon as I got the car I had to get a high quality sun film installed - the heat and glare was rather uncomfortable, especially coming from driving a car with CR 90s and CR 40s installed. You don't know what you are missing unless you know what you are missing!

I was skeptical about going back to 3M, being royally cheated once. But I had experienced 3Ms CR series, and really liked it. - more on that here

https://www.team-bhp.com/news/bhpian...-thiruvanmiyur

I had since found SpeedFreaks, where I had a really, really good audio install done. Thread here

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/chenn...r-chennai.html (Car Audio Installation : Speedfreaks (Anna Nagar, Chennai))

I had by now come to trust Speed Freaks, and was back to them for the Taigun's Sun Film installation, but wanted to them to instal 3Ms CR series. I also not wanted CR 40s on the doors, for I had been stopped in Bangalore once too many times for having tinted windows.

Karthik of Speedfreaks cautioned me against 3Ms CR series. He said that supply of the original film has become very erratic, and we couldn't be assured of quality and perhaps even originality, even with his direct contacts in 3M. I wanted the very best with the highest heat rejection and also clear film. He then suggested I go with SolarShields Platinum Teal 70 Nano Ceramic film, which has the highest heat rejection of 62% and a 99+% UV rejection. I was a little worried of going for 70 against the 90 for the windshield, thinking it would hamper vision, but Karthik brushed my fears off, and said it would fare far better. Trusting this chap, I agreed. The price would be Rs 45,000, but having worked with Karthik before, he gave be a discount of Rs 5000, and set the final cost at Rs 40,000.

Knowing Speedfreaks calibre, I agreed, knowing I'd get the best work, the best film at the best price. No need to haggle here at SpeedFreaks as experience had thought me!

Unlike other installers who'd stick your film in an hour or so, Karthik wanted the car to be left over night. He does a very precise job, and pays at most attention to quality, and wanted the car over night to make sure no issues crop up post installation. I do hate going back to get work done set right, and Speedfreaks is close to 1.5 hours in traffic each way from where I live in Chennai (possibly 1.5 days if it was Bangalore!)

And so, I was back the next day to pick up my car. As promised, the installation was perfect. They have a special sealed cell at their shop to install sun film, to make sure no dust is present. Needless to say, the car is cleaned thoroughly post and pre installation.

The effects of the Sun Film were felt immediately and drastically. As promised the 70s did not in anyway hamper vision on the windshield, but in fact aided it quite substantially both during night and day. The film does an EXCELLENT job at cutting glare out, and vision becomes much clearer during the day as well as night! The heat rejection can be felt immediately and is fantastic. The 70's have a higher heat rejection percentage than darker tints, and you really can feel the difference.

They do make the glasses feel ever so lightly tinted, but you can for sure see through them. Gives the glass a light slivery, bluey very classy tinge! I think this is a little more enhanced on my car as it's white, and I am now rather keen on taking off to Bangalore to see if cops there will attack my car. They are rather fond of TN registered cars in Bangalore and hey, i've got a new excuse for one more long drive!

And thus, high quality sun film on windshield, windows and rear - highly, highly recommended and I can't say enough on what a great investment they are in your car!

And I can't sing praises enough on SpeedFreaks. They really are the best not only for audio, but for everything your car needs, provided you want the best of the best! I noticed a lot of KA - Bangalore registered cars this time. Nice to know that good work is being appreciated, even from Bangaloreans who have better options when it comes to high quality mods than Chennai! Do mention that you are from Team Bhp if you visit Speedfreaks. Karthik did tell me he likes to work with people from here as he feels us lot are well informed and know what quality work is!

Below pictures.
Why I spent Rs 40,000 on Sunfilm at Speedfreaks, Chennai-img_4808.jpeg

Why I spent Rs 40,000 on Sunfilm at Speedfreaks, Chennai-img_4809.jpeg

Why I spent Rs 40,000 on Sunfilm at Speedfreaks, Chennai-img_4823.jpeg

Why I spent Rs 40,000 on Sunfilm at Speedfreaks, Chennai-img_4824.jpeg

Why I spent Rs 40,000 on Sunfilm at Speedfreaks, Chennai-img_4826.jpeg

Why I spent Rs 40,000 on Sunfilm at Speedfreaks, Chennai-img_4825.jpeg

Last edited by Aditya : 25th January 2023 at 09:53. Reason: Number plates masked
thirdmainroad is offline   (69) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 12:42   #2
Distinguished - BHPian

re: Why I spent Rs 40,000 on Sunfilm at Speedfreaks, Chennai

That’s a neat job. But it is fairly obvious that the car is running aftermarket films. Such a mod will not fly here in Delhi.

The tint shade is also not the same as the factory fit UV cut glass that is increasingly common now. It’s more blue-black, while UV cut glasses are usually green.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (59) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 13:05   #3
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
Such a mod will not fly here in Delhi.
That's a pity! I am planning on a Delhi drive through! What do the cops up north, and especially Delhi do when it comes to tints? Is it a fine or do they force you to peel the film off then and there? How much is the fine in Delhi?

Draconian law this as mentioned many a time here on Team Bhp and elsewhere.

Thankfully, in Chennai even dark tints are not stopped.

Last edited by Aditya : 22nd January 2023 at 18:03. Reason: Off-topic comments deleted
thirdmainroad is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 13:26   #4
Senior - BHPian

Even in Chennai once in a while cops will stop cars and tear down the sun film. It has happened before and there is no guarantee it will not happen again.
Gansan is offline   (15) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 13:40   #5
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

This car is sure to lose her film in a hurry in Bengaluru! It looks so aftermarketish!
rajeevsulu is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 14:13   #6
BHPian

Used to have CR 70. But after 10 years it was little scratch ridden and increased glare. Removed it. Never got stopped since it was windshield. The ones on windows were removed when the ban happened.
PreludeSH is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 18:27   #7
BHPian

Quote:
But it is fairly obvious that the car is running aftermarket films. Such a mod will not fly here in Delhi.
I remember the time, when the cops fined me 500/- and gave me two days to get rid of the film on my Wagon R. This was a long time ago, when SC had just made them illegal.

Nowadays, even in Pune, you are absolutely sure to be pulled over by the cops.
RedTerrano is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 19:28   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedTerrano View Post
I remember the time, when the cops fined me 500/- and gave me two days to get rid of the film on my Wagon R. This was a long time ago, when SC had just made them illegal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdmainroad View Post
What do the cops up north, and especially Delhi do when it comes to tints? Is it a fine or do they force you to peel the film off then and there? How much is the fine in Delhi?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gansan View Post
Even in Chennai once in a while cops will stop cars and tear down the sun film.
The standard practice is that they rip the film off there and then, and issue you a fine. So, not only do you pay them, you are also left with ugly glue remains on your windows which are pretty hard to remove.

The film, of course, whatever money you’ve spent on it becomes a big zero in an instant. And, because they have found a bakra, they will check you for everything.

I have been flagged down for using the factory fitted middle row sunblinds on my Hexa. You can’t get past an overzealous cop with a target to meet. And in case you are from out of state, it’s just too easy for them.

Last edited by Shreyans_Jain : 22nd January 2023 at 19:35.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (26) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 19:57   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
The standard practice is that they rip the film off there and then, and issue you a fine. So, not only do you pay them, you are also left with ugly glue remains on your windows which are pretty hard to remove.
I was fined Rs 500 and told to remove the film. I have not got around to it. It was some years ago. But it was torn off on the spot from a friend's car. The police ignore it for the time being, but the rule remains.
Gansan is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 21:33   #10
Senior - BHPian

Horrible idea to post pics of the number plate after doing something that's banned. Besides, that's too much tint to pass any cop radar undetected.

What we truly need in India are transparent sunfilms with maximum heat rejection technology. Although it's technically illegal, that's our only hope and probably quite some time away.
Turbohead is offline   (25) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 22:47   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thirdmainroad View Post

I knew as soon as I got the car I had to get a high quality sun film installed - the heat and glare was rather uncomfortable, especially coming from driving a car with CR 90s and CR 40s installed. You don't know what you are missing unless you know what you are missing!
I think this particular vehicle may have a weak AC system in comparison to your previous vehicle , it should be having factory tinted glass anyways.

Nevertheless, park in the shade whenever you can because once the vehicle soaks in the sun dor a few hours the AC will still struggle to remove the heat.
Kosfactor is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd January 2023, 23:04   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turbohead View Post
Horrible idea to post pics of the number plate after doing something that's banned. Besides, that's too much tint to pass any cop radar undetected.
Totally agree. If you were in Kerala, the MVD would have challaned you already and turned up at your RC address in their Nexon EVs to pull the films off!
Geo_Ipe is offline   (20) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 07:16   #13
BHPian

Well it’s good I am not in Kerala or Bangalore or Delhi then! In Chennai, the police do not mind tints at all, and all is well.

Yes, sun film is indeed illegal and banned. And I am ashamed indeed for breaking the law, but unfortunately the film is much needed down here and I am willing to risk it and will pay the penalties when required!
thirdmainroad is offline   (17) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 07:32   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
Since this kind of practice is illegal by the orders of Supreme court of India, what are we doing here by flaunting and discussing it. This thread should have been deleted summarily. Whether we agree with that order or not is a moot point, it is illegal is the bottom line.
Loads of people run remapped cars breaking RTO rules and discuss them openly here too.

Supreme Court or not, it is a rule that makes no sense and it's good to know that at least in some parts of India, common sense has prevailed. Hoping the rest of the country follows suit soon.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (39) Thanks
Old 23rd January 2023, 11:00   #15
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by deetee View Post
Since this kind of practice is illegal by the orders of Supreme court of India, what are we doing here by flaunting and discussing it. This thread should have been deleted summarily. Whether we agree with that order or not is a mute point, it is illegal is the bottom line.
Let's not take this thread off-topic please. If we have to discuss illegalities, half of the threads in the modifications forum will be deleted. Even remaps, fatter tyres etc. are illegal going by the law.

Kindly use the reported post functionality (Report Posts : Contribute in Maintaining Team-BHP's post quality) for any such requests or comments. Thanks for the support & understanding

Back to the topic, I know of some BHPians & a friend running very light tints in Bombay. Cops here seem to be ignoring them; however, I saw two cars with jet black tints being pulled over on Worli Sea Face earlier this week. As much as I love sunfilms for the privacy they offer & heat protection, I have made my peace on running my cars without them. The hassles with the cops aren't worth it. Plus, the 530d & Superb have factory-fitted rear curtains which help, while the soft-top of the Thar simply won't take sunfilm.

Last edited by GTO : 23rd January 2023 at 11:20.
GTO is offline   (42) Thanks

Most Viewed