Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2023, 12:23   #46
BHPian

Re: Good-looking & powerful LED headlights for the Mahindra Thar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
These lights are currently priced at 40k. Their price on the Stedi website is Australian $400, which is about Rs 23,000. Add shipping, import duty, importer margins etc and 40k is about right. Straight fit for other 4x4s like Defenders, Wranglers, G-Wagens too.
Nice lights! Do the Stedi's fit plug and play on the Thar or any mods required to get them to bolt on and also power on?
s4ch is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th February 2023, 00:19   #47
BHPian

Just upgraded my lights with Phillips Rally 130/100 H4 Halogens and a Minda Relay Harness both procured and fixed by a local garage.

Rs 400 for the bulbs and 550 for the relay. I had asked for Phillips / Hella relay but only Minda was available. No labour charges so good to go in under 1K . Osram bulbs were not available either.

Good light as for now as just did a 120 km highway run on Agra Jaipur highway.

Thinking of getting a Stedi if some friends come from Ireland.
Urorobo is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 09:49   #48
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
Nice lights! Do the Stedi's fit plug and play on the Thar or any mods required to get them to bolt on and also power on?
They were largely plug & play with a little trial + error on the brackets, I am told. No cutting of wires at all.

Gulp...those eyes First impressions are positive. Am going to test them out over a couple of days, and then begin compiling my Thar thread which will have all details.

Good-looking & powerful LED headlights for the Mahindra Thar?-20230223-11.54.32.jpg

Good-looking & powerful LED headlights for the Mahindra Thar?-20230223-11.55.30.jpg

Good-looking & powerful LED headlights for the Mahindra Thar?-20230223-11.55.32.jpg

Good-looking & powerful LED headlights for the Mahindra Thar?-20230223-19.07.41.jpg

Good-looking & powerful LED headlights for the Mahindra Thar?-20230225-12.47.59.jpg
GTO is offline   (30) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 09:52   #49
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Gulp...those eyes :
Looks super sexy. ..
Quote:
Am going to test them out over a couple of days, and then begin compiling my Thar thread which will have all details.
Please... Eagerly waiting for this thread mainly for your impressions of the Petrol AT.

Last edited by manson : 27th February 2023 at 10:28. Reason: Typo.
dhanushs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 16:48   #50
BHPian

Got my Stedi Carbon Black LED units installed recently and I'm totally loving the look of these beauties! Had the opportunity to test them out last night over a one hour drive within Mumbai, the performance of these lights are truly outstanding. The cut off is really neat, and aligned as per right hand drive conditions. The semi-circle DRLs add a nice touch to the Thar's presence in day light, the light throw in both low beam and high beam is phenomenal yet considerate to oncoming traffic, it functions like a well engineered OEM LED headlight (exactly what i was looking for).

Big shout out to GTO for creating this thread, which helped me decide and eventually purchase these Stedi lights. I will share a detailed review in the future, sharing a few initial pictures for now:

Good-looking & powerful LED headlights for the Mahindra Thar?-stedi1.jpg

Good-looking & powerful LED headlights for the Mahindra Thar?-stedi2.jpg

Good-looking & powerful LED headlights for the Mahindra Thar?-stedi3.jpg

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 28th February 2023 at 11:10. Reason: Reuploaded image 1.
Nair.V8 is offline   (19) Thanks
Old 27th February 2023, 22:35   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
A BHPian (forgot who) had posted pics of these on his Thar. A-pedal requires a little bending IIRC.
Aye aye mate
A bench vice and some patience required to match the curvature, and then to fit it in - has PM'd the details, hope it was helpful!

And you've tempted me to go Stedi too!

Last edited by ph03n!x : 27th February 2023 at 22:38.
ph03n!x is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 00:45   #52
BHPian

@GTO and @Nair.V8 nice looking headlights both of you. While GTOs looks like stock and maintains that old world simple look and appeals more to me. Nair.V8’s smoked look would suit my Napoli Black. The Half Ring DRLs look cool. Tough to decide which one to get.

Please share your night time reviews about the throw etc . GTO will make Stedi famous among the Thar community.

Do think about pedestrian and motorcycles while ordering the metal bumpers boys. While good for off-road use and trials they may create problems with RTOs getting stricter by the day.

Just a quick question- my HU was working fine but after getting the camera installed it is sometimes dropping connection to Apple CarPlay when connected with the cable.

Happy motoring or shall I say Happy Thar-ing Boys
Urorobo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 10:59   #53
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urorobo View Post
@GTO and @Nair.V8 nice looking headlights both of you. While GTOs looks like stock and maintains that old world simple look and appeals more to me. Nair.V8’s smoked look would suit my Napoli Black. The Half Ring DRLs look cool. Tough to decide which one to get.
The Stedi Homage lights on GTO's Thar has a smoked look as well due to black mid partition, it looks more/less dark depending on the viewing angle. You could check the gallery for this product on the Stedi website. I feel both will look great on your Napoli black, it depends on whether you prefer a retro/modern look for your Thar.

Adding a few more pictures below of the Stedi Carbon lights on different modes (parking, low beam & high beam):
Good-looking & powerful LED headlights for the Mahindra Thar?-stedi4.jpg

Last edited by Nair.V8 : 28th February 2023 at 11:09.
Nair.V8 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 11:22   #54
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nair.V8 View Post
Adding a few more pictures below of the Stedi Carbon lights on different modes (parking, low beam & high beam):
Attachment 2423731
These look great, slightly edging towards these over GTO's ones due to the killer looks.

Are these projectors for both the low beam and hi beam?
Please can you share pricing and seller info?
Any comments on fitment with regards to brackets etc?
Also I believe you would have had to tap the + for the DRL's - please can you explain how this was done for each side and a pic of the wiring etc?

Thanks!
s4ch is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 11:50   #55
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s4ch View Post
These look great, slightly edging towards these over GTO's ones due to the killer looks.

Are these projectors for both the low beam and hi beam?
Please can you share pricing and seller info?
Any comments on fitment with regards to brackets etc?
Also I believe you would have had to tap the + for the DRL's - please can you explain how this was done for each side and a pic of the wiring etc?

Thanks!
  • The upper projector is for low beam, lower projector for high beam.
  • I ordered my set directly from the Stedi website, DHL is their shipping agent. Total cost for these Stedi Carbon LED lights comes to approx INR 37,500 after including custom duty & other taxes.
  • I was not present when the installation happened, so i'm not a 100% sure of the specifics. My driver did mention that some adjustments were made to the stock brackets but overall it was a plug and play since the lights had an H4 connector along with an extra wire for the DRL.

Good-looking & powerful LED headlights for the Mahindra Thar?-stedi5.jpg
Nair.V8 is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th February 2023, 14:58   #56
BHPian

Looks like GTO getting them from a local vendor and Nair.V8 importing them are about the same price 40 k vs 37.5k so better to ask the local vendor.

GTOs simplistic looks will suit me more as every thing now has DRLs but @Nair.V8 the fact that your has projectors it might have better beam.

Can members with JK grills please post photos as everyone seems to have the JL grill.
Urorobo is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 1st March 2023, 14:23   #57
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nair.V8 View Post
I ordered my set directly from the Stedi website, DHL is their shipping agent. Total cost for these Stedi Carbon LED lights comes to approx INR 37,500 after including custom duty & other taxes.
Looking great, congrats! Please share the exact process, simplicity / complications, time taken, if DHL called you for paperwork etc.

I have the Bimbra fender lights, each of which has two DRL strips. So I have NOT enabled the DRLs in my Stedis. For those who wish to, I just received a message from the importer:

Quote:
Hi All,

A small update on a technical issue:-

For those fitting the 7" Stedi headlights on the Thar, the lights come with a plug and play socket for high/low beam, while for the DRL connection, a separate blue/green wire is provided. Many are connecting this wire to the stock Thar DRL connections. In such cases, you may notice flickering for a few seconds (4-5) in one of the headlights. The reason being, at low speeds or idle, there is a low input voltage i.e. below 10.5V this may be noticed.

The solution is as follows:-

1. Either operate only the stock DRL or only Stedi DRL.

2. Connect one DRL to the stock wiring and the other one to the ignition source or battery.

As such, nothing to worry as its a minor technical issue. Some vehicles come with PWM, while the Thar comes plain, so load distribution is the problem here. Halogens dim under low voltage, while for LEDs, a steady current of above 10.5V is required, else this flicker is seen.

Also, please note the Stedi DRL wire should be tapped only into the stock DRL positive.
Good-looking & powerful LED headlights for the Mahindra Thar?-whatsapp-image-20230301-10.46.36.jpeg
GTO is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2023, 10:50   #58
BHPian

Quote:
Looking great, congrats! Please share the exact process, simplicity / complications, time taken, if DHL called you for paperwork etc.
Thanks! It was pretty straight forward actually: A week after placing the order on Stedi's website, i get a call & email from DHL confirming that the my order has reached customs. The email had a link with all details of the applicable duty/taxes on my shipment along with the payment link. I made the payment right away and received my shipment within 3 days.
Nair.V8 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 10:24   #59
BANNED

Quote:
Compiling my Thar thread which will have all details

Hello GTO -

First up, though belated, many a happy miles with the Thar, wishing you a blissful and hassle free ownership.

I've picked up a RWD in Red, wanted to change the front slats with the one similar to the one that you have.

Would be really thankful if you may point out, which one you've bought and what was the landing price.

Thanks a bunch for all your help.
Torquedo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th March 2023, 10:34   #60
BHPian

Apart from STEDI, here is another great option for all THAR owners who wants to upgrade to a branded LED sealed headlight unit without losing the originality.

Brand - PHILIPS
Model - H6024LED
Made - Taiwan

My friend in the USA is already using it in his Wrangler CJ and has amazing feedback for the same. As per him, throw is great, and the angle of light distribution is perfect for an LED headlights unit especially during off and on-roads. For those who are looking for this can get it from Amazon (US website) or Ebay, both has listed this item and is available to ship it to India.

I have asked him to bring a pair while his next trip to India in April. Also this model doesn't have a DRL inbuilt which is in line with my liking. DRL on the headlight unit is an over-kill with the existing DRL which is already present on our Thar IMHO.

Thanks
Highwaypatrol
Attached Thumbnails
Good-looking & powerful LED headlights for the Mahindra Thar?-71dy6wt9eus._ac_sx679_.jpg  

Good-looking & powerful LED headlights for the Mahindra Thar?-philips-led.jpg  

Last edited by highwaypatrol : 6th March 2023 at 10:37.
highwaypatrol is online now   (10) Thanks

Most Viewed