Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2023, 18:48   #1
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Good-looking & powerful LED headlights for the Mahindra Thar?

If there is one part about the Thar begging for an upgrade, it's the outdated OEM headlights. Now, there are lots of LED headlamp options in the after-market, but based on BHPian posts, most of them are all show & no go.

I am sure someone is selling LED headlights that are both, good-looking as well as powerful at night? Something with form & function, both? Please share contacts, store links or web links here.

No cheap stuff please, kindly recommend only high quality LED headlights here.

Thank you!

Last edited by GTO : 27th January 2023 at 18:52.
GTO is offline   (14) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 19:04   #2
BHPian

Re: Good-looking & powerful LED headlights for the Mahindra Thar?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
If there is one part about the Thar begging for an upgrade, it's the outdated OEM headlights. Now, there are lots of LED headlamp options in the after-market, but based on BHPian posts, most of them are all show & no go.

I am sure someone is selling LED headlights that are both, good-looking as well as powerful at night? Something with form & function, both? Please share contacts, store links or web links here.

No cheap stuff please, kindly recommend only high quality LED headlights here.

Thank you!
Instead of upgrading headlight Bulbs , get Aozoom Bi-focal Led Projector foglamps. This newly launched product which is very powerful and it would be direct fit on thar.
Below is the link to the output of foglamps.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/CmG9E..._web_copy_link

Product Code - FLP 2090
Safari_Beast is offline   (11) Thanks
Old 27th January 2023, 21:27   #3
BANNED

Infractions: 0/2 (8)

As a person with many years of driving under the belt in some extremely harsh non urban conditions and even today being a very frequent visitor to the hilly regions in all seasons, I am placing the following facts here;

1. Big powerful white LED lights are useless in mist and rain and fog. All that they do is diffuse the light particles and you get a wall of white which does NOT improve visibility.

2. I note the tendency of most modern drivers and car owners to immediately upgrade their headlamps and foglamps to LED’s without having fully thought it through.All that they are seeking is the ‘look’. Honestly this tendency is quite misguided.

3. A good pair of powerful warm white Halogens coupled with a set of interchangeable warm white plus yellow amber foglamps are a far better combination to go with. Ideally in modern cars better to replace the bulbs yes, but stay with the recommended wattage and headlamp bulb type instead of trying to splice wires and introduce aftermarket relays etc.

4. On another note, I am presently driving around the hills. And I observe that almost no one amongst the fellow road users, understands the concept of ‘dip’. And people are overtaking around curves, not keeping sufficient distance and more irritatingly, repeatedly flashing their strobe-light-like LEDs at every possible opportunity. It is especially disconcerting for anyone who has a solid understanding and experience of hill driving.
shankar.balan is offline   (69) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 00:00   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Now, there are lots of LED headlamp options in the after-market, but based on BHPian posts, most of them are all show & no go.

Something with form & function, both?

If Thar experts could suggest which among these would fit the headlamp housing, would help my friend too
johannskaria is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 00:47   #5
Team-BHP Support

Keep stock headlight at best upgrade the bulbs. Get HID projectors for the running lights or even small led aux with combo pattern from Rigid or similar reputed brands.
Jaggu is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 14:23   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Thanks guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post
I note the tendency of most modern drivers and car owners to immediately upgrade their headlamps and foglamps to LED’s without having fully thought it through.All that they are seeking is the ‘look’. Honestly this tendency is quite misguided.
The game has moved on, Shankar. Headlight brands like 'Stedi' make LED headlamps that are among the world's best. Only problem is sourcing them in India. What you are talking about is a problem inherent to cheap Chinese imports which is what I want this thread to avoid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johannskaria View Post
If Thar experts could suggest which among these would fit the headlamp housing, would help my friend too
I'm told the 7" size that fits Wrangers, Defenders, Landcruisers & even motorcycles fits the Thar - https://www.stedi.com.au/stedi-7-inc...ight-pair.html
GTO is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 14:57   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Jimny gets 7 inch LED headlight. If the output is good, it should be a decent OEM upgrade for Thar owners.
Dr.Naren is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 15:03   #8
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Jimny gets 7 inch LED headlight. If the output is good, it should be a decent OEM upgrade for Thar owners.
Jimny headlight's visible part is 7inch but its not a standard 7 inch headlight as found on the Jeep/Thar/Gypsy/Gurkha/Bullet.
So installing Jimny headlight in a Thar/Jeep/Gypsy/Gurkha/Bullet or installing a standard 7 inch headlight on Jimny is not going to be a bolt on job.

Quote:
I'm told the 7" size that fits Wrangers, Defenders, Landcruisers & even motorcycles fits the Thar - https://www.stedi.com.au/stedi-7-inc...ight-pair.html
This should fit your Thar and Australia being RHD country the beam pattern would be suitable for India.

I have STEDI light bar with the same 5700k temp as this headlight and I can tell you that this works well in the rains too. The light bar is currently removed from Crysta and plan to put it on Jimny if it makes to me. STEDI customer support is also good.

PS: I see that this 7inch light is E certified. Don't expect a huge boost in illumination in the E certified aftermarket LED headlights or E certified light bars. E certification puts a limit on the light output. A Philips 100/130 rally halogen in will still outshine an E certified LED headlight.

Last edited by Sankar : 28th January 2023 at 15:18.
Sankar is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 16:02   #9
BHPian

I know it is not any source link or contact but might be helpful in some way.

Cross posting from Thar’s thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
There is one brand Trucklites. They have a particular model 27270c. This would be the ideal upgrade for our Thars. Only problem is sourcing them. A jeep builder in Rajasthan does it but it's for their own builds and they cost a bomb! If only we can have someone generate a group buy and import a batch for us at a reasonable price, it would be great. Do check it out. The best part about these trucklites 27270c is that they look nearly stock. No outlandish or gaudy designs.
batish is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 16:08   #10
Distinguished - BHPian

The 7" round headlights should fill the doom. But, internal fitting would be different. However, 7" round headlights being the most popular size, I guess you should be able to find some good lights.

My personal advise however would be to follow Bahram's advice given in an older thread, to have glass covered 7" dooms (TVS?) and have 110/140 bulbs with proper relay and wiring. I still love the way old amby's and jeeps light up the way with 140 bulbs.

If you still want additional lighting, go for driving lights from KC, Lightforce etc..
dhanushs is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 16:27   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by batish View Post
I know it is not any source link or contact but might be helpful in some way.

Cross posting from Thar’s thread

https://instagram.com/rajputanajeeps...d=YmMyMTA2M2Y=

These are the guys who import Trucklites for their clients.

27270C is the trucklite part number.
navpreet318 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 17:18   #12
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shankar.balan View Post

1. Big powerful white LED lights are useless in mist and rain and fog. All that they do is diffuse the light particles and you get a wall of white which does NOT improve visibility.

4. On another note, I am presently driving around the hills. And I observe that almost no one amongst the fellow road users, understands the concept of ‘dip’. And people are overtaking around curves, not keeping sufficient distance and more irritatingly, repeatedly flashing their strobe-light-like LEDs at every possible opportunity. It is especially disconcerting for anyone who has a solid understanding and experience of hill driving.
Apropos to point number #1. Without the doubt, the Big LED lights as main headlight is useless in fog. As a matter of fact, the more thrown on dense fog the more the fog acts as a mirror and only throws back the light on ones face. True they are ineffective in rain.

Would that mean I would switch to OEM halogens on my car inspite of the above stated facts. No. Because I have found a way around it ; Atleast when it comes to contending with 'up to front bumper dense fog'. I simply switch off the main headlight and drive only on fog lamps. But I haven't found a way out for the ineffectiveness of big LED's in rain. That is something , I have to contend with.

As for the point number #4, on my drives on Himachal Pradesh roads. This is a constant grouse. What I found amazing is : I find truck drivers far more intelligent, they toggle between full beam on\off to send the on coming car a signal to switch to 'dip'. In my case, I make the switch and they reciprocate. But when it comes to car drivers, no such luck!

Last edited by ritedhawan : 28th January 2023 at 17:20.
ritedhawan is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 17:56   #13
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhanushs View Post
The 7" round headlights should fill the doom. But, internal fitting would be different. However, 7" round headlights being the most popular size, I guess you should be able to find some good lights.

My personal advise however would be to follow Bahram's advice given in an older thread, to have glass covered 7" dooms (TVS?) and have 110/140 bulbs with proper relay and wiring. I still love the way old amby's and jeeps light up the way with 140 bulbs.

If you still want additional lighting, go for driving lights from KC, Lightforce etc..
Good suggestion, Yes I remember reading this.

Lucas-TVS & Cibie were BD Sir's recommendation as far as I remember, Cibie which needs to be imported - while viewing some YouTube videos of very famous car museums, I have noticed them million dollar cars running Cibie.

Recently a batch of Lucas headlamp had come on sale with Jeep parts dealers in Delhi, it won't be difficult to find them in Mumbai as well.

At the time I wanted them for the CRDe, I could not find them so settled for Hella instead for lens and reflector.

The glass lens is made in Austria or somewhere but the whole thing costs less than 1K per side because the rest of the mechanism from OEM unit including the leveler should work with this.I think it is a common fitment for buses and trucks.

The clarity and beam pattern of Hella setup is so good that I did not upgrade the bulbs, just swapped an original set of Philips 55/60W, focussed the beam properly and the Jeep would blitz through the night. I did not believe it would make that much difference but I guess when you deal with BHPian recommend accessories guys, it makes a lot of difference.

For heavy rains it would help to have a set of Halogen driving lights fitted on the bumper, a very well tried and tested setup over the years.
Kosfactor is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 28th January 2023, 19:55   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosfactor View Post

Recently a batch of Lucas headlamp had come on sale with Jeep parts dealers in Delhi, it won't be difficult to find them in Mumbai as well.

At the time I wanted them for the CRDe, I could not find them so settled for Hella instead for lens and reflector.

Hi, could you please share a link for the Lucas headlamp as well as the Hella one?
Old 28th January 2023, 22:45   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by navpreet318 View Post
Hi, could you please share a link for the Lucas headlamp as well as the Hella one?
I doubt Hella would be available online. If you’re in Delhi NCR I can PM you the contact. He’ll further connect you to your nearest distributor, or you can ask him about dealers/distributors in your region.

It is the most value for money upgrade I have done. Add in Osram/Philips halogens, you’re good to go in any weather.

Plus, no challans for modded lights.
batish is offline   (3) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks