Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 12th January 2008, 11:23   #211
Senior - BHPian

i have a brand new swift and zen in my neighborhood obviously belonging to same person, with a very big DHOOM badge at behind..a very big silver coloured reflecting with fancy background ...in biggest bold italic font...
i wonder what makes a person screw his brand new cars with this kind of stuff. and i guess he is a damn bloody local politician..
Old 12th January 2008, 11:23   #212
Distinguished - BHPian

Buses?

It's on nearly all Ambassador taxis, and even a few Indicas here.

A hangover, no doubt, from the days when AC, closed windows and lack of hand signals was a new thing.

Like "Air Brakes" --- who cares how the breaks work? My dad explained to me, in nineteen-fifty-something that it was a warning that the vehicle could stop more suddenly. Fifty years later, it's still being painted on the back of some Indian trucks.

Actually, it might be more appropriate, for some of our trucks, to put Danger; this truck has brakes that actually work!
Old 12th January 2008, 11:26   #213
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thad E Ginathom View Post
Buses?

It's on nearly all Ambassador taxis, and even a few Indicas here.

A hangover, no doubt, from the days when AC, closed windows and lack of hand signals was a new thing.

Like "Air Brakes" --- who cares how the breaks work? My dad explained to me, in nineteen-fifty-something that it was a warning that the vehicle could stop more suddenly. Fifty years later, it's still being painted on the back of some Indian trucks.

Actually, it might be more appropriate, for some of our trucks, to put Danger; this truck has brakes that actually work!

ha ha and even the Air Brakes are spelled as AIR BREAK ..the same one as KIT KAT BREAK. and indian trucks will never look like trucks if they are not painted with HORN OK PLEASE, POWER BREAKS, MAA TUZE SALAAM etc etc
Old 12th January 2008, 11:31   #214
Senior - BHPian

I have seen some trucks with "Air Break"...
Now there is a smelly truck you dont wanna mess around with...
Old 12th January 2008, 11:34   #215
Senior - BHPian

Just for my consumption, what exactly is Horn OK Please supposed to mean?
Another irritating accessory on Buses/ trucks, are the 2 feet long strands of Zari/ Shining thread from the driver's end. Looks like he is showing his hand out, but is the zari thingy. Very irritating. I feel like stopping the trucker and wrapping that around his neck..
Old 12th January 2008, 11:51   #216
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Another irritating accessory on Buses/ trucks, are the 2 feet long strands of Zari/ Shining thread from the driver's end. Looks like he is showing his hand out, but is the zari thingy. Very irritating. I feel like stopping the trucker and wrapping that around his neck..
if that zari thing is coming out from near the tyres its the scrappers to wipe of that extra mud accumulating between tyres and bumpers. but if its from drivers cabin its MAA KI CHUNRI. a very common thing on most of cars...bikes..autos..its considered very religious.
HORN OK PLEASE i think is first horn, then when i give a OK signal, please move in front. otherwise u will be in mess
Old 12th January 2008, 15:41   #217
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by hrman View Post
Once upon a time, several years ago, when the first thing a vehicle following a truck would see was the last member of the chassis. This was the time when trucks were audible from 50 miles away, and it was absolutely impossible for the drivers to make out the purr of another vehicle 5 meters behind him. Hence, people used to paint "horn please" on the last "member" of the chassis.

Then, some smart cost cutter decided to cut costs by reducing weight of the cross member which was achieved by creating a circular hole in the center of the cross member. Now, "horn please" was liable to be read as "horn O please". Therefore, a K was placed after the "O".

Nowadays, the cross member of the chassis is not the frist thing a driver following a truck will see. Like all things human, we forgot why we used to write "sound please", and why it was written "sound ok please". Thus, the practise continues to this day, even this era of (comparatively) less noisy trucks.
Old 12th January 2008, 23:50   #218
Distinguished - BHPian

I saw something (I don't know what it was; some sort of pick-up truck) with Power Steering, in large letters, on the wing yesterday.

So... who cares? Like, why bother to tell us?
Old 13th January 2008, 00:13   #219
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amit_mechengg View Post
boss this is mostly seen on volvos and i think this is a very gud signal. when u r behind that big bus overtaking it u expect that the driver will popup his hand out of window and give u signs..but infact he cannot. the windows are sealed.
Hey, that came much before the volvo buses. And never expect anyone to pop out their hands to signal anything, watch the rear.

Quote:
I saw something (I don't know what it was; some sort of pick-up truck) with Power Steering, in large letters, on the wing yesterday.

So... who cares? Like, why bother to tell us?

Maybe you should be ready for a sudden swerve from this monster, keep your distance even when you are beside him.
Old 13th January 2008, 00:49   #220
Distinguished - BHPian

Maybe they meant to say Power Steerer!
Old 13th January 2008, 11:21   #221
Senior - BHPian

I specifically dont like stuffed toys all over behind the rear seat and regarding the spoiler on an Alto it depends on which one is used. Yea the one which is raised above on hinges appears eeeekyy.
Old 14th January 2008, 18:23   #222
BHPian

Quote:
Like "Air Brakes" --- who cares how the breaks work?
Am tempted to have that sticker on my swift

But then, having the rear bumper broken twice, and a rear tail light once- all in two years time, is a good enuf reason, what?

Cheers
Old 14th January 2008, 21:42   #223
Distinguished - BHPian

Then just put "Brakes!" (or 'Breaks' would be even better, in a way!)

Here's a silly sticker from UK that might suit you...
Quote:
If You Can Read This
You Are Too Close

I do sympathise, though. I did a nice bit of "aggressive slowing down" on some guy who was hugging my backside yesterday.
Old 14th January 2008, 22:51   #224
BHPian

@Thadeginathom
That is a nice sticker, was contemplating something like that a few days back. Remembered it from an old joke where a doctor in the army put a stamp on the stomach of all the girls in the Army. When one of them managed to read it with a magnifying glass it read "If you can read this, you better be married".
But that wont work, unless we can get that sticker in Kanada, the auto and bus drivers in Bangalore have the habit of trying to spoon with your car at signals.
Old 15th January 2008, 06:36   #225
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
these are not accessories.. but the santro tail lights are too harsh on the eyes of the drivers following that car.. especially in stop-n-go traffic where the brake is constantly on.. and i hate drivers who use foot brake instead of the hand brake while they wait for the signal.. it's a pain during the nights.
Rightly said. Esp. when I wear my hellmet, and there's a drizzle..don't ask. The light spreads all over the visor. Man, its like facing the headlights of a car with a red tint. What are they? Halogen?

Most Viewed