Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 15th March 2023, 17:09   #61

Re: Terrible experience tuning my Tata Harrier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbhiJ View Post
You willingly paid someone to modify/mess up your ECU and then got it replaced under warranty?

Isn't this illegal / morally incorrect? And now you are admitting your act of fraud on the internet?

I am happy for you that you car is fixed, but ideally one should take responsibilities for their actions.
I think this is how things get worse for others in line for warranty work. Somehow I feel OPs post is one sided. Maybe the tuners did him dirty with their shoddy work, but so did the OP when he got Tata motors to fix his mess up. This does not sound like how warranty work is usually done by brands. They scrutinize the matter to every single extent, hoping to pin the blame on user for bad decisions. But from this post, it seems it was a breeze for the owner to fix his Harrier by concealing real facts from Tata motors. If I were this customer's dealer and came accross this tread on how warranty fraud was committed, I would blacklist him from all future business and be extremely cautious the next time he rolls in for repairs.
fiza is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 17:12   #62
BHPian

Can someone enlighten me on what is the typical cost of ecu and one of Tata Harrier in particular?

Edit: googled for EDC17C69.

The used one is about $153 on eBay
On Bosch just the repair is 450 EUR !!!

https://www.bosch-repair-service.com...0281033494001/

Last edited by rjainv : 15th March 2023 at 17:23.
Old 15th March 2023, 17:28   #63
BHPian

Reading through all this, i wonder the competence of Tata ASC that they were not able to detect the tampering of ECU (or maybe choose to ignore it if OP has some high placed sources)

All parties are to blame here:
1. OP going ahead with risks (or maybe not researching enough ) and then crying over spilled milk.

2. Tuner agreeing to do the mods with associated risks. (Sometimes short term benefits are not worth it). Do get a waiver signed next time stating the clear risks. So we would not be commenting he said/she said.

3. ASC is also to blame, I feel going forward due to this Tata would be hesitant to replace even genuine claims ( we Nissan owners know how hard it is)

4. Tata also for not doing their due diligence before approving big claims, so finally end up making loss.

Last edited by SideView : 15th March 2023 at 17:32.
Old 15th March 2023, 17:36   #64
BHPian

After reading through the thread for the past 30mins or so and then finding gaps in the sequence of events, I was intrigued to check previous posts of OP. He first attempted to post about his slowness issue in the main harrier thread hiding critical information and completely keeping the readers unaware of the mess that has been created and where IMO he shared equal responsibility.

https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/offic...ml#post5506512 (2020 Tata Harrier Automatic : Official Review)

Once he got lucky with his "ECU HEIST" with the SC, his rage made him use this platform thinking experienced people might not find gaps here.

I believe, unless OP comes and clarifies his stance, I would like to have him revoked from posting misleading and incomplete information as we treat this forum as an authentic and credible source of information and such instances would reduce my confidence in seeking any suggestions.

Also wrt to this thread, I too feel this should be quarantined/removed as apart from Tata becoming more strict with warranties, the dealer or the individual who might have approved this case might come under unnecessary scrutiny and we wouldn't want somebody's rage is affecting another's livelihood.

Peace!

Last edited by rahul1407 : 15th March 2023 at 17:47. Reason: Changes required.
rahul1407 is offline   (45) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 17:56   #65
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohanf12 View Post

1. We have performed the bench tune with the absolute right method or else the car would not have started. None of the pins were bent and nothing was fried. It’s a very normal procedure to bench the EDC17C69
2. Plugging and unplugging the ecu was done with utmost care and precision as routine by us.
Translation: Trust me bro, I know what I'm doing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rohanf12 View Post

VENOM PERFORMANCE INDIA have challenged and asked any tuner or customer in India to contact us or him for the master file to check if there is anything wrong with the tune.
Nothing may be wrong with the tune, but this does not preclude the possibility of you bricking a part of the ECU during the bench flash. I'd raised this question to you previously and you've conveniently ignored it with nothing more than empty claims that you did the process correctly. Any tuner (not tooner) worth his salt will know that things can go wrong during bench flashing and it was your job to support the customer in getting it back to working state. Sending him to Tata service center to get it resolved by himself was just not done.

When I had gotten my 320d remapped by Pete's, I'd taken written confirmation from them that if anything went wrong during the flashing process, they'd get it fixed at their own expense, including and up to getting a replacement ECU. And that was just an OBD flash.
d3mon is online now   (33) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 18:29   #66
Senior - BHPian

Looks like both parties knew the end game: If things go south, just claim warranty for the ECU from Tata Motors and don't tell them. So both went ahead.

If anything, my guess is OP started this thread because the Tuner has probably not given the money back But we will never know.

Lessons learnt: Tune a car only if you accept all the risks associated with it, no point blaming others if it fails. The whole thing is based on limited knowledge.
NiInJa is offline   (9) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 18:40   #67
BHPian

A lot doesn't add up here. Why you'd even proceed with the tuning when you sensed his hesitation to tune your car is beyond me. Besides, why even bother tuning a brand new (almost) car that's still under warranty and then garner sympathy online?
TheHelix0202 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 18:43   #68
Senior - BHPian

to sum it up...

We currently are like this!

Terrible experience tuning my Tata Harrier.-1.jpg
svsantosh is offline   (62) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 19:07   #69
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by wbd8779 View Post
Your ECU was fried by a tuner and TAMO changed it under warranty - wow , the title of this thread should ideally be " Great warranty coverage by TATA "

Also - with you having admitted on a public forum , that you messed up the ECU ( you or tuner doesn't matter as its your car ) TATA can very well bill you for the ECU , since this is a clear violation of warranty terms.
I cant believe this wasnt the final post of this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahul1407 View Post
Also wrt to this thread, I too feel this should be quarantined/removed as apart from Tata becoming more strict with warranties, the dealer or the individual who might have approved this case might come under unnecessary scrutiny and we wouldn't want somebody's rage is affecting another's livelihood.
On the contrary, this thread should be made into a poster and sent to every OEM there is. It is a lesson for every OEM to start rejecting warranties because the owner decides to reprogram his car with someone they know in their neighbourhood instead of an authorised service center.

When the owner does any change to the car without official/authorised assistance, the blame for any failure that might arise from this, shifts from the OEM to the owner.

When airbags dont work, dont we blame the OEM? So when the car doesnt work because the owner decides to fiddle into the ECU, why should the owner not be blamed? How is the OEM always at fault and the owner never?
VaidhiR is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 19:09   #70
BHPian

Hello Team-BHPians,

POSITIVE, QUICK AND GENUINE SERVICE FROM TATA MOTORS

I want to share my happy experience with Tata Motors.

From the beginning, they were hopeful and confident that they would succeed in fixing the issue.

They called in senior engineers who addressed the issue in the ECU, which, when I briefly inquired about it, was due to an open circuit, that’s what they claimed it to be.

The Tata team ensured to go beyond customer satisfaction to customer delight while handling my complaint.

On behalf of all the speculation,

In my first post concerning the tuning fiasco, the keywords relating to tuning were not mentioned, as the reason the car went into limp mode had not been confirmed. Largely because the tuner was adamant that the car’s wiring harness, switch, and relay have issues and the tune is perfectly alright, hence why I mentioned the brake switch and wiring. Now, speculating on something that can or cannot be the cause of the error seemed like it would complicate the issue the car faced.

As for the claims of a faulty wiring harness, the relay was ruled out, as I had informed Service Center to check on those and they were fine. Hence, when an issue with the ECU department was probable as had informed obd guy to check ecu per my inputs and TAMO's diagnosis, the same was mentioned in my second post.

Considering the fact that I’m lucky to have my ECU replaced, maybe I'm lucky, maybe I'm not, and maybe the ECU had issues. As mentioned in my posts from last year, at the time of PDI, my Harrier’s Check Engine Light (CEL) was on but was cleared at the time of delivery, so that's that.

That doesn't change the fact that the car was perfectly fine before being handed over to the tuner and that it only went into limp mode after the tuning process.

So technically, there are 2 scenarios here:

1. The CEL was on at PDI, and the ECU may have issues as well, as seen on the tuners' OBD tool logs and Tata’s tool.

2. The tuner did something wrong in the process and already messed up an error code showing ECU.

I had informed the tuner about when at the time of PDI, the "CEL" was on,
Both of these combined could cause limp mode.

The service centre did all their checking; they even removed the ECU in front of me and scanned it. Following this, they found it to be faulty with an open circuit.

I genuinely appreciate what Tata has done, but it’s not evident that the sole reason for changing the ECU was due to the tune, as it also showed 8 codes at Tata’s service centre (not to mention 22 at tuners) (not favouring the tuner here but just considering the possibility and stating the facts rightly)

Most of you must be thinking how unreasonable or ignorant I could get and open up briefly about the whole incident warranty combined. I could have kept quiet about this entire fiasco from the beginning, even considering my warranty part, but I felt it was important for everyone to know what could go wrong with any tuning process and
How Tata and its dealers truly, genuinely care.Kudos Tata!

No hard feelings for the tuner or anyone for that matter. Tuner spoke with me concerning my latest posts; they were concerned and ready to speak about it.

Although answers for why limp mode occurred are still in the grey, I’d like the GTO and moderators to close this thread as only more and more speculation and blame games would pass through.

Considering all the morals, I appreciate active TAMO for enquiring with me and addressing my issues.

I hope this answers questions, doubts, etc.

Cheers,
Bil.007

Last edited by Turbanator : 15th March 2023 at 20:11. Reason: Removed unnecessary bold.
bil.007 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 19:18   #71
Distinguished - BHPian

Where in you are giving Kudos to Tata in Caps and Bolds now, you would have probably been on the other side if they had refused to honour the warranty. Tata for once would be the one smiling after seeing the traction this thread has got, they actually got a lot of free positive publicity at a fraction of the marketing cost, and they well deserve it.

I hope a lesson is well learnt for both you and the tuner, and may your car run smoothly for a long time to come!

Last edited by Turbanator : 15th March 2023 at 20:13. Reason: Some typos.
AtheK is offline   (35) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 19:34   #72
BHPian

Kudous To TAMO for replacing the ECU under warranty without any cross verification. Usually OEMS cross verify and VW is very strict about this. Even a simple bulb change and VW does not honor warranty. Thank God you got the ECU replaced!

Mistakes happen, but the way one addresss it is what matters and I think your erstwhile tuner has certainly not acknowledged the main issue which was a bad tune. I understand that in the Eastern and Northern part of the country not many folks are skilled at ECU remaps and tunes and that's why I tell most of my friends to go with a reputed tuner. Even if it's a bit more expensive than the competition at times, the tuner knows what he's doing and there will be no repeat visits or refixes. I know several folks who changed to wolf after remapping from other tuners just because of the reliability of the tune wolf gives.

Unfortunately, there are many spin off folks in the tuning industry who want to make a quick buck without understanding the nuances of the vertical they're working on. There are a lot of parameters such as boost pressure, rail pressure and so on before a tune is completely recalibrated for more power. And these tunes have to be coded at the source level with hexa decimal values, else some functions might not work. I had a similar issue with cruise control after remap but wolf fixed it for me within a month after they found the issue.

Always go for a tuner who has tuned several cars of the same type and if they have a Dyno test result, it makes the decision even easier.

Good luck on getting a better tune and wishing you happy miles!
jithin23 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 19:54   #73
BHPian

The intentions behind this thread are doubtful. I humbly request the moderators to close this thread and save the time of all bhpians. The thread is regarding tuning which certainly will pull us all in. I don't think the tuner deserves any negativity due to this thread.
josetom89 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 19:58   #74
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bil.007 View Post
I’d like the GTO and moderators to close this thread as only more and more speculation and blame games would pass through.
Ah yes, let's close the thread quickly because people are starting to realize that you conned your way into a free warranty replacement and then bragged about it on the internet.

In the end, it is unethical people like you that result in higher warranty costs and higher insurance premiums for the ordinary motorist.

I hope that Tata sees this post, checks through their service records to identify your vehicle and bills you for the new ECU.

Last edited by Chetan_Rao : 15th March 2023 at 21:41. Reason: Trimming out some personal bits. Point made and taken, let's keep it civil please. Thanks.
McLaren Rulez is offline   (67) Thanks
Old 15th March 2023, 20:09   #75
BHPian

Now that the OP clarifies and completely changes his initial tone towards the tuner i presume and assume that Tata knew they sold a lemon Which on the day of pdi already had the CEL light on the cluster, which i guess and maybe i am right maybe i am wrong, got further messed up by remaping the ecu and made the ecu rest in peace. They went ahead and replaced it. Good on Tata's part, a welcome step towards the customer. Moral of the story do not give an adrenalin injection to a patient suffering from from High Blood pressure, it will make his heart pop out of his chest! Alls well that ends well. Mods please do the needfull as you may deem fit. The thread has served its purpose
Born 2 Be Wild is offline   (9) Thanks
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks