Team-BHP - Lancer - CNG conversion... Kinda urgent, Thanks
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Lancer - CNG conversion... Kinda urgent, Thanks (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/26431-lancer-cng-conversion-kinda-urgent-thanks.html)

I have a 1998 Lancer, clocked all of 1.40L kms.

Relatively well-maintained, all thru with metro motors, mumbai.

Now Im planning to convert it to CNG and the only thing bothering me is the age of the car and the speedometer reading.

I've heard that CNG puts alot of load on the engine? Considering she has done almost 1.5L kms... should this be cause of concern?

I recently got the suspension done, new shock-ups, etc... so I guess she should be able to take the load of a CNG tank.

I have also heard a CNG kits and conversion costs 40k? Any place in mumbai where i could get this done cheaper or atleast a good job done.

If you have converted your lancer to CNG, please share your experience and wisdom.

Im planning to go for the conversion coming weekend.

All help and advice much appreciated... Thanks in advance!!!

Yuv

Check ur engine's compression from a reputed garage who can do it.
If its not healthy, then u need to rebuild the engine properly.
With proper maintenance ,u can use the rebuilt engine for another 1.5 lakh kms on CNG.
Also, id suggest u search for "CNG" threads and read them thoroughly.:)

Alternatively look at LPG option.
I had a 2001 accent and I got LPG fitted on it by the close of 2005.

When I was at this LPG / CNG crossroad I was strongly suggested to look at LPG instead of CNG since it requires tanks that are not so heavy, since it burns completely (i.e like the kitchen gas burns with the same intensity till the end of the cylinder ) and smaller lines at the dispenser ( since all Taxis in mumbai run on CNG) . Also the reduction in engine power is about 20% in CNG and much less in LPG. I used LPG for 2 years and power reduction is about 10% with AC on. Also my LPG worked great on straight road rather then those Lonavala ghats where I gladly switched to Petrol. Hope this helps.

get chg sequential injection kit installed. where in mumbai. i know ridhi sidhi in lokhandwala area does it. going sequential will ensure negligible power drop and damage to engine. replace air filters and check ignition system, better go for new set of spark plugs a colder one. cng specific ones. kit cost is below 70k contact installer for exact details. i hope you intend to keep the car for few years.

Mitsubishi people do the kit installs officially and it probably will also be covered under warranty. I dont remember properly but their price was around 32K then. The cng lancers are not available any more but you can check if the kits are available.

Thanks Nitrous, Firingonallfour, Gigy and Devarshi84.

I called up metro motors today and the cng "expert" scared the living daylights of me.

According to him, CNG conversion in lancer is a failure... the fuel injectors die almost immed... then goes the head and next thing you know... ENGINE WORK???

It seems CNG lancers can never be fully tuned because the "MUT" machine, which is apparently used to tune the car does not work with CNG... so basically you will never be able to tune-up the car??

Oil needs re-filling every week?????????

And this is why Mitsubishi has stopped the CNG variant and the old stock aint selling too.

Well... this has pretty much dampened my spirits :( .... Pls help!!!!!!!!!!!

Yuvi.

PS: Btw, its costs 65k to convert at metro motors and they give a warranty of 1 year on the kit only.

Quote:

Originally Posted by yuv (Post 503266)
Thanks Nitrous, Firingonallfour, Gigy and Devarshi84.

I called up metro motors today and the cng "expert" scared the living daylights of me.

According to him, CNG conversion in lancer is a failure... the fuel injectors die almost immed... then goes the head and next thing you know... ENGINE WORK???

It seems CNG lancers can never be fully tuned because the "MUT" machine, which is apparently used to tune the car does not work with CNG... so basically you will never be able to tune-up the car??

Oil needs re-filling every week?????????

And this is why Mitsubishi has stopped the CNG variant and the old stock aint selling too.

Well... this has pretty much dampened my spirits :( .... Pls help!!!!!!!!!!!

Yuvi.

PS: Btw, its costs 65k to convert at metro motors and they give a warranty of 1 year on the kit only.

Yuvi, I don't want to be seen pushing the LPG thing but its an option you can explore. I used LPG in my ex accent for 2 years with some amazing savings and great results. The cost of conversion was 20K with a 60 liter tank. There is no question of adulteration, the drive was smooth and pick up was fast. There were no engine problems at least for the 2 years I had it. Here is a link. I don't know this guy nor have I have done my retrofitting from him however I have heard good things about him. Hope this helps

Thanks firingonallfour!

I had almost decided on CNG but now im considering LPG also.

Although the savings in CNG are unbeatable.... its just the side-effects, im scared off.

Anyone recently converted to CNG? Pls share your experience.

Anyone using a lancer CNG/LPG??

Thanks in advance.

Yuv

Today I spoke to a few cng convertors... and almost all advised me against CNG.

Either their profit margins in CNG have reduced or LPG has truly emerged as a winner?

Pls help!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yuvi

CNG is better both in terms of Cost Economics and Safety, Its only drawback comes that Unlike LPG it does not give the same amount of performance as you would feel in Petrol/LPG.

Pretty logical since LPG/Petrol are almost the same in composition, whearas CNG is a different fuel.

Lines are an issue, but I don't think you should compromise on the benefits, Back here in delhi- CNG is fitted almost into any car, I have seen Lancers, Modeos,Sonatas,OHC-NHC and offlate happened to see a C-Class Taxi also with CNG.

Engine Damage is all a myth, If you maintain your car properly , No such issues- Clean Airfilter and throttle every 5000-7000 KM, Change Plugs every 15,000 KM, Periodic Safety checks at defined intervals, Regular Oil change at specified Intervals.

And if you do opt for the CNG Sequential Injection, Kit- You are in for a treat - Same performance as on petrol.

I also own a Lancer and will be converting it soon to CNG

Also remember to have the RTO and Insurance paperwork done in whatever you choose lest you want to face legal complications ahead.

CNG kits are more expensive than LPG, So Cheap sells well in the Indian Mind

Oh yes, I read here that you have a 1998 lancer, I don't think you will be able to convert legally either fuel, also get the compression test advised and check the condition of the head, pistons before you choose either.