Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 29th July 2014, 12:01   #31
Senior - BHPian

re: Rain repellent - how effective is this?

I bought Formula 1 Glass Cleaner With Rain Repellent from ebay. Its easy to apply and makes the life of wipers very easy. The water beads and one wipe will leave the windscreen with no streaks or water marks. But I could see a bit of haze during the night which is affects visibility when the oncoming traffic is on high beam. So, not recommended for night use. Its perfect for windows as the beads will roll off when the vehicle gathers speed.

http://www.ebay.in/itm/Formula-1-Hig...-/171314645133
Old 14th September 2016, 16:57   #32
Senior - BHPian

Visibility Problem through ORVMs in Rains due water droplets on them and Door Glasses

Mods, please move this to appropriate thread if required (Searched but could not find relevant thread or may be my Search Terms were not accurate to find one)

There would be many here (I guess ) who might be facing problem similar to mine. So what exactly is the problem?

When the rains pour, the Door Glasses and ORVMs get wet along with the Front and Rear Windshield. There are Wipers for Front Windshield as well as Rear Windshield (Though Rear Wiper is available on Top-End Trim only) to clear the water droplets.
But what about the water droplets on Door Glasses and ORVMs.
Okay, some cars have heating ORVMs. What about the cars which don't have this luxury?

The water droplets affect visibility by a great margin as seen through the below pictures-
Rain repellent - how effective is this?-dsc_5226.jpg

Rain repellent - how effective is this?-dsc_5227.jpg

What can be done to clear the water droplets from Door Glasses and ORVMs?
IndigoXLGrandDi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 17:06   #33
BHPian

I haven't tried it but have an idea. I have been watching videos on YouTube about applying wax to front windshield (same paste wax you apply to metal parts). I guess same should work on driver side glass and ORVM too. In absence of Wipers only option is to make water bead off logically. Also heating the mirror is no good as it helps only when it fogs. Not when so many water droplets are on it I feel
Old 14th September 2016, 17:09   #34
BHPian

Re: Visibility Problem through ORVMs in Rains due water droplets on them and Door Glasses

Roll the window down, wipe the mirror, roll the window up. The rolling will take care of the water on the window glass itself I do this all the time, my right hand and sleeve does get wet but what choice do we have?

Also try rubbing some tobacco on the glass rumor has it that it helps in repelling water. Atleast, you'll have a really cool reason to buy ciggys!
Old 14th September 2016, 17:11   #35
BHPian

Re: Visibility Problem through ORVMs in Rains due water droplets on them and Door Glasses

I have used Glaco water repellent in the past.
https://www.amazon.com/JDM-Chemicals.../dp/B003B2UOX2

It is quite effective for the first few days of usage. Water droplets effortlessly roll off the surface. Significantly improves visibility.

The challenge is simple - as you wipe your car every day / morning, the effectiveness reduces. Unless you have a dedicated parking space and you can manage to have a separate micro fibre cloth to wipe the glass every morning, the effect wears off soon.
I live in an apartment and I cannot expect the cleaner-boy to use a separate cloth to wipe the glass alone on my car.

As a product, it is indeed effective. Maintenance, unfortunately in India is a challenge.
Old 14th September 2016, 17:22   #36
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndigoXLGrandDi View Post
What can be done to clear the water droplets from Door Glasses and ORVMs?
There's not much you can for the OVRMs but the windows: turn the a/c temp. to heat and direct the outward blowers (the ones on the extreme ends of the dashboard) towards the windows. Although not significantly and not immediately, but there will be some respite.
Old 14th September 2016, 17:26   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Try using RainX or a similar product. I used them on the Skoda Laura, and driving has been a breeze in the monsoons as the water drops just roll off, especially as speeds pick up.
Old 14th September 2016, 17:39   #38
Distinguished - BHPian

Clean your ORVM's and window glass using any shampoo / glass cleaner used for windsheld. This will help in water rolling off the glass and not causing much of obstruction. Useful especially in night when situation is compounded due to headlight from vehicles following you.
mpksuhas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th September 2016, 17:49   #39
BHPian

There is a home grown technology for the ORVM water issue. Cut a potato and rub the cut portion on the ORVM glass before you start the journey during the monsoon season (This was suggested by one friend and I had tried couple of times). This will act a water repellent to some extend in the ORVM. The window glasses, as shady_lawyer has suggested, roll down / up and it will take care to a great degree.
Old 14th September 2016, 18:02   #40
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sree73 View Post
There is a home grown technology for the ORVM water issue.
Want to know another one? The driver of our school auto, then tempo and then bus had this habit of washing down the windshield with tobacco: he'd smear it across the pane and then wash it off. Even in heavy rain, the water just trickled down.

Last edited by Zappo : 14th September 2016 at 18:31. Reason: Done...
libranof1987 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th July 2017, 21:35   #41
Senior - BHPian

Can these rain repellents be done by an untrained person? Or does it required some expert hands. I made an inquiry and that chap said the procedure is to do a "water mark removal" first & then do the "rain repellent coating".
Old 21st October 2017, 22:43   #42
Distinguished - BHPian

Maruti Suzuki has got this new product from Japan. It is priced at Rs 450. It helps in repelling water and also reduces the glare at night.
Rain repellent - how effective is this?-img20171021wa0051.jpg
Rain repellent - how effective is this?-img20171021wa0050.jpg
Rain repellent - how effective is this?-img_20171021_223619.jpg
Rain repellent - how effective is this?-img_20171021_223649.jpg

Initial impressions are good and it's working as claimed. Let's see how long it would last
Dr.Naren is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2017, 00:49   #43
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.Naren View Post
Maruti Suzuki has got this new product from Japan. It is priced at Rs 450. It helps in repelling water and also reduces the glare at night.

Initial impressions are good and it's working as claimed. Let's see how long it would last
I have used Proklear Nano earlier and it was good - but unfortunately I had to change the front glass due to a stone hit, so I could not test the longevity.

I was thinking of buying it again, but this one looks more easy to apply.

Can you please let me know few details:

Is it a one time application pack? Or, can we use it for multiple times?
Did you buy it from the ASC, or from Maruti genuine spare parts shops?

--Anoop
Old 22nd October 2017, 02:01   #44
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by theexperthand View Post
Did you buy it from the ASC, or from Maruti genuine spare parts shops?
I guess Doc has got it from the showroom. It should be easily available in MGA section. Having said that, since it has a part number too, it can be ordered from both ASC/MGP stores.

Regards,
Shashi
Leoshashi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd October 2017, 02:51   #45
Senior - BHPian

Guys 2-3 coats of cheap colin glass cleaner does the same thing as these expensive big brands! Been using this for ages and really good results, I will try and post a video of the results.
Captain Slow is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks