Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th July 2007, 17:28   #16
BHPian

msdivy, it was a good one. So what it means is that all the three terms are basically the referring to same tool
Old 17th July 2007, 17:41   #17
Distinguished - BHPian

I simply keep the a/c running all the time with windows tightly closed and run the blower to top and twist the knob to defog and push the button for rear defog and keep it on with the wipers working. This gives me crystal clear windscreen for both front and rear windows.

However, the sidescreens remain foggy and i just ensure that i drive in a straight line to not collide into something/somebody
Old 17th July 2007, 19:35   #18
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumitB View Post
He probably means the defogger
Or he probably meant the A/C vents on top of the dashboard thats directed at the windscreen. There is an A/C setting to direct some air flow towards those vents.

I tried using those vents.. but there is hardly any air flow out of those vents.. TBH, they are practically useless.. atleast on my Baleno.
Old 17th July 2007, 22:20   #19
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruty View Post
I think the best results are achived when we roll down our windows a litle, so that water does not come inside but the temparture in and out become same, to remove the white layer formed on teh glass. I have done this number of time and it works.

I totally agree, keep th windows open say 15% of it should be open, that way not much water comes in and also no fog is formed, tried and tested and been successful in it as well
Old 28th September 2007, 12:18   #20
Senior - BHPian

Even I have had this problem in my Swift. But turning the A/C on and keeping the temperature control to HOT and the blower settings directed towards the windshield solved the problem for me. The air flow setting was on recirculating mode.

I still need to try it to see if that works fine in heavy rains, during the night. When I tried this option where it worked, it was only dirzzling and it was at night.
Old 28th September 2007, 14:25   #21
BHPian

Hi, like mentioned in previous posts, the misting of glass is due to the humidity of the air, i.e. the amount of water present as vapor in the air. Incidentally, one cubic meter of air at 22C can contain around 8 grams, or 8 cc, of water.

This water vapor condenses onto cold surfaces. Within a car, condensation is caused since we breath out humid air which condenses on glass that is cold. Switching on the A/C clears the glass because it dehumidifies the air.

With time, however, the A/C cools the glass, & humid air on the outside then condenses onto the other side of the glass ! Turning on the heater should resolve both problems. I remember one episode of TopGear where Jeremy Clarkson tries to mist up the windows inside a VW Phaeton - he steams up a cup of tea inside the car, with a long-legged Swedish model beside him The windows stay clear by the way !?!

Last edited by im_srini : 28th September 2007 at 14:26.
Old 28th September 2007, 15:11   #22
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by im_srini View Post
Hi, like mentioned in previous posts, the misting of glass is due to the humidity of the air, i.e. the amount of water present as vapor in the air. Incidentally, one cubic meter of air at 22C can contain around 8 grams, or 8 cc, of water.

This water vapor condenses onto cold surfaces. Within a car, condensation is caused since we breath out humid air which condenses on glass that is cold. Switching on the A/C clears the glass because it dehumidifies the air.

With time, however, the A/C cools the glass, & humid air on the outside then condenses onto the other side of the glass ! Turning on the heater should resolve both problems. I remember one episode of TopGear where Jeremy Clarkson tries to mist up the windows inside a VW Phaeton - he steams up a cup of tea inside the car, with a long-legged Swedish model beside him The windows stay clear by the way !?!
Its more about finding the right temperature setting to balance the external temp with the cabin temp. Its almost always difficult to find a sweet spot in the thermostat dial to keep the mist away permanently.
Yesterday i was struggling and oscillating between mist formations inside and outside alternatively. I had to let in gusts of fresh (polluted) air through the windows now and then to keep the mist at bay.
The 'Sunsilk'/shampoo option may work and i have read about some windscreen cleaner solvents that keep screen so slippery that water just runs and does not stick.
Are there any side effects of using Sunsilk? Like a frothy windscreen in rains
Old 28th September 2007, 17:52   #23
Senior - BHPian

Why? one is electrically operated and the other is engine assisted

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Defogger? Then it should not be switched on when AC is running.
Old 28th September 2007, 17:55   #24
Senior - BHPian

What car do you have which has these knobs for defogging the front and rear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I simply keep the a/c running all the time with windows tightly closed and run the blower to top and twist the knob to defog and push the button for rear defog and keep it on with the wipers working. This gives me crystal clear windscreen for both front and rear windows.

However, the sidescreens remain foggy and i just ensure that i drive in a straight line to not collide into something/somebody
Old 28th September 2007, 18:45   #25
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gd1418 View Post
What car do you have which has these knobs for defogging the front and rear?
Viva CRDI, it has both front and rear defogger and wipers too on both ends
Old 28th September 2007, 19:35   #26
BHPian

here is my bit to confuse all a bit more. I think SX4 has a rear defogger printed on the rear windscreen. It also has the windscreen blower types slot in the rear. G.O.K whether the AC ducting goes till the boot and whether the slots really blow air.
I have to check that out today.
Old 1st October 2007, 17:57   #27
BHPian

I've seen a defogger in action in my friend's WagonR. Was amazing how fast the front window screen cleared. In my opinion, it's a great feature to have in any car.

Has anyone installed an aftermarket defogger in a car? If so, cost and location would be helpful.
Old 1st October 2007, 22:00   #28
BHPian

Windscreen glass is one of the most important part of the vehicle. The visibility of the windscreen comes down day by day if not cleaned properly by proper cleaners as dirt, bug residue, road grime, tar, oil film get stuck to the windscreens in due course. There are many windscreen cleaners in the market. (I have used many and found that TurtleWax windscreen cleaner is the best).

Also it is good to have Rain Repellent and anti fog solutions.
I have tried RainX's rain repellent and RainX's anti-fog. Rain repellent is for external use and anti-fog is for internal application. Believe me, they work wonders.
I had tried Maruti's OEM rain repellent before trying RainX. Maruti's repellent leaves streak marks after applying and takes 10-15 minutes to make it streak free (hell of a job). RainX on the other case is very very easy to apply.

In rainy seasons it is good to apply them fortnightly and once in 2 months during summer.

Moreover do not forget to change your windscreen wiper once it gets brittle or starts leaving streak marks.

Do not point the Air conditioner to the windscreen for long during rain. Once the fog clears turn it and then point the windscreen only when needed. Also try to maintain the same temperature as outside. Climate control in cars can help you a lot during rain by maintaining temperature.

Be careful not to leave your rear defogger switched on for long as it is big battery drainer.

Last edited by ksethuram : 1st October 2007 at 22:10.
Old 1st October 2007, 22:49   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksethuram View Post
Also it is good to have Rain Repellent and anti fog solutions.
I have tried RainX's rain repellent and RainX's anti-fog. Rain repellent is for external use and anti-fog is for internal application. Believe me, they work wonders.
Sethuram, from where do you buy RainX in chennai? G.P.Road? or from your dealer ? Can you give me an idea how much it costs?
Old 2nd October 2007, 13:20   #30
BHPian

RainX was introduced in India long back by Pennzoil. I got RainX products from a oil dealer in GP road. If you get hold of a Pennzoil dealer anywhere you should be able to get it. I am not in town now, so will not be able to help you.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks