Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd July 2007, 17:38   #1
Senior - BHPian

Are Door Visors good to install?

Hi guys,
I am contemplating putting door visors on my Fiesta for the following reasons:-
1. Enhances looks of the car.
2.Protects from rain when windows are open.
3.Helps avoid AC usage for defrosting during rains, as we can keep the windows slightly open.
4.Prevents heat build up in the car when parked in the hot sun, as we can keep the windows slightly open.

However, I want to know from users with visors if the above are practical or only theoretical postulates.
I also want to know which brand is good. I inquired at the Hyd market and the price for local stuff is 700 bucks, and imported varies from 1500 to 1800---imported stuff has thicker plastic.
Thanks
vnabhi is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2007, 18:00   #2
Senior - BHPian

Visors will provide you with all the benefits you have mentioned. I suggest you go for the imported ones, not just because it has thicker plastic but theyre also better formed and better longer lasting adhesive tape for installation.
autopsyche is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2007, 18:01   #3
Team-BHP Support

ot - but i dont think you should keep your windows open when your car is parked. to keep out the heat just get good sunfilm.
Old 22nd July 2007, 18:07   #4
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Autopsyche. Will surely follow your advice.

Akshay1234---what I meant was keeping the windows slightly open--to the extent of just above the visor's bottom edge, so that nobody from outside will be able to slide their hands in.
Old 22nd July 2007, 18:09   #5
BHPian

Its anathema for aerodyanamics.

You would negate the millions that the car companies spent in the wind tunnel by putting on extra protrusions however small they may be anywhere on the car. If its going to be used at less than 40kmph only in the city then the protrusions do not have that major effect on the aerodynamics but at highway speeds its a big no no.
Bye and wear your seat belts.
drpullockaran is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2007, 18:12   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
You would negate the millions that the car companies spent in the wind tunnel by putting on extra protrusions however small they may be anywhere on the car. If its going to be used at less than 40kmph only in the city then the protrusions do not have that major effect on the aerodynamics but at highway speeds its a big no no.
Bye and wear your seat belts.
Wow, that is a good point.
However, even Ford sells visors for Fiesta, but they are over-priced--cost around 6K or so.
vnabhi is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2007, 20:01   #7
BHPian

Also heard from my mech that might help in water getting collected, which might result in formation of rust.
Old 31st August 2009, 07:55   #8
BANNED

Rain / Window Visors - Does they serve any purpose?

Nowadays I'm seeing lots & lots of Rain visors in car ranging from Altos to Swifts to Innnovas to Endeavours. Some are just keeping it for aesthetic reasons. In some car it may look good and in others, it look yuck.

I know that it's mainly meant for driving in sprinkles without keeping the AC ON.

Is there any other use for these Visors ?

So, does it serve any good during light showers or is it meant for wasting our money ?
mithun is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st August 2009, 08:41   #9
Senior - BHPian

In my indica, if I do a wash wipe of the front windscreen with the front windows down, the water will get into the cabin.

And my speakers are paper. the door visors do help reduce rain from falling onto the door pads. I dont like them at all, they look fugly, but they serve a purpose
Old 31st August 2009, 08:52   #10
Senior - BHPian

I have seen a few. i really doubt its use. i dont think it can stop the drizzles getting into the car andi think it is mainly for the yuck factor
Old 31st August 2009, 10:00   #11
Senior - BHPian

They look horrible but serve a purpose for people who smoke in their cars. Keep the window down a bit & let the smoke out without too much wind in your face :-) Plus of course they stop some amount of drizzle or light rain.

Cheers
Old 31st August 2009, 10:34   #12
BHPian

Its is useful while it rains, and I like the looks too. But I heard that they affect the Aerodynamics of the car.
Old 8th May 2012, 20:50   #13
Senior - BHPian

Re: Are Door Visors good to install?

Bumping up this old thread to see if any Fiesta owners have installed these visors.
I've found a couple of bhpians in Hyd swearing by the utility of door visors, but I am now contemplating those because I find some kind of wind noise when driving at high speeds.

The wind appears to be seeping in from the driver's window, but when I put my hand around the edges, I could not feel any gust of air leaking. It is kind of perplexing.

Perhaps installing visors will have an effect on curbing that wind seepage noise. Any inputs will be of great help.

Edit: I forgot to mention that the Ford India website says that the air deflectors really help in deflecting air away from the car and making it more aerodynamic. Is that a marketing stunt?

Last edited by vnabhi : 8th May 2012 at 20:52.
Old 8th May 2012, 21:33   #14
Senior - BHPian

I have never found them to be of any use apart from purely aesthetics (Even there its debatable).

I have sat in one and they produce some wind noise from the outside at higher speeds and its not right to say they improve aerodynamics (usually more aerodynamic translates into lesser wind noise). Another area where i have found them to be irritating is if they are not fixed right they rattle, also over time there is a play causing some rattle which is really distracting at higher speeds.

Preventing inside from rains is an area where some folks may find it useful but i have never felt the need.

Last edited by mayankjha1806 : 8th May 2012 at 21:35.
mayankjha1806 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th May 2012, 22:31   #15
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
The wind appears to be seeping in from the driver's window, but when I put my hand around the edges, I could not feel any gust of air leaking. It is kind of perplexing.
The air may be leaking in through the gap between the doors on B-pillar. My Palio had a rubber beading to close this gap, which had become brittle and has torn off. Now I get a wind noise when travelling on highways. Not sure if Door visors would solve this issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayankjha1806 View Post
Preventing inside from rains is an area where some folks may find it useful but i have never felt the need.
I have found the door visors immensely useful in the rains. I can drive with the windows rolled down with at least 1 inch gap and this provides good ventilation and prevents the misting of the windscreen. Prior to fixing the visors, I had to switch on the AC during the rains for controlling the mist, which is basically unnecessary when outside temperature is much pleasant.

Last edited by bejoy : 8th May 2012 at 22:53.
bejoy is offline   (4) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks