Team-BHP - Ambassador with a 4.5 Liter, 6 cyl FORD engine!!
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Ambassador with a 4.5 Liter, 6 cyl FORD engine!! (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/27012-ambassador-4-5-liter-6-cyl-ford-engine-4.html)

The Hindustan Landmaster was the Indian made equivalent of the 1955 Morris Oxford Series II 4-cylinder car. The Hindustan Ambassador was the Indian made equivalent of the 1956 Morris Oxford Series III 4-cylinder car.

Apparently Morris also made 2.6 litre six-cylinder versions of both cars.
These had the same shape but elongated noses.

They were
the 1955 Morris Isis 6-cylinder

and
the 1956 Morris Isis 6-cylinder, below.

The Dutch text advertising the 6-cylinder engine says,
"Vi verschaft U nu een groter vermogen", which means,
"We provide you now a larger capacity"

Here is an old left-hand-drive 6-cyl. Morris Isis in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada.

And a close-up of the chrome "ISIS" logo

Finally, the LHD interior, in rough shape ... but all original.

Ram

Quote:

Originally Posted by ram (Post 524642)
The Hindustan Landmaster was the Indian made equivalent of the 1955 Morris Oxford Series II 4-cylinder car. The Hindustan Ambassador was the Indian made equivalent of the 1956 Morris Oxford Series III 4-cylinder car.

Apparently Morris also made 2.6 litre six-cylinder versions of both cars.
These had the same shape but elongated noses.

They were
the 1955 Morris Isis 6-cylinder
the 1956 Morris Isis 6-cylinder, below.

Ram

Those were great photos. Looks quite sleek, don't you think, with the long bonnet? I like this snap the best. Great, love old car ads. Remember old National Geographic mags with ads of humungous American cars with miles of chrome. This ad is of course older, and we can really relate to this particular ad.

I can't thank the poster enough for this thread. I have a 1963 Amby and I've been wondering where I can start modding it. I may not go for a power application, but overall, I desire some changes. Thanks again!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Max (Post 698591)
I can't thank the poster enough for this thread. I have a 1963 Amby and I've been wondering where I can start modding it. I may not go for a power application, but overall, I desire some changes. Thanks again!

In that case you have to have seen this thread right ? > http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/long-t...ar-review.html

cya
R

nice to see a mad project like this in india. only thing is the engine he has chosen is a very old engine out of a falcon for the 80's. i would the chosen a later model engine which is the 4litre turbo straight 6 EFI out of the newer falcons it produces around 240kW

but none the less Thats A Very Good Project. Hope He Doesnt Care About Fuel that engine sucks alot of gas

Wish I knew the amby was like a photoshop, then would have stopped my family members from selling our 16 year old amby.

Amby's are the best cars to have in India. I personally believe that if you learn driving in an amby, you can drive any car, even a LHD.

Awesome job going on in the amby, sure would lovev to hear it roar on the road. :)

good find and aditya have a test drive soon and let us know the review.i feel this car and engine combination is not that good.considering the power and torque generated there should be a whole lot of stengthening done to both body and chasis.have a closer look aditya for such mods.
ram

I once had the opportunity to visit HM factory once on the invite of the R&D head of the Uttarpara plant. I had made a presentation to them to redisgn the Ambassador. Some of the points which I had mentioned was:

1)Increase the width of the car
2)Decrease the extremely high ground clearance of the car.
3)Increase the length of the front overhang and the rear overhang.

In other words a longer,wider and more shorter car...they didnt quite like the idea and some Mr.Biswas from the R&D dept. who showed me around the plant and the R&D department finally told me that Birla wouldnt invest anymore in redisgning the car since they just invested a huge amount of money in installating new forges, paintshop, etc.

I wish they did something like that...think Avigo could have been a better car if they strssed on the whole design that cosmetic changes only.

shes absolutely hottttt

oh! god , I got my nos kit ,rpm meter fitted from the tuner . I shall go to the tuner and post all the details soon .

IMHO that's a total waste!!! Why waste such a powerful engine by installing it in an amby, when you can do justice to the engine & yourself by fitting it in a car that's more aerodynamic.:Frustrati Just to prove your love for an old classic?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jayabusa (Post 702117)
IMHO that's a total waste!!! Why waste such a powerful engine by installing it in an amby, when you can do justice to the engine & yourself by fitting it in a car that's more aerodynamic.:Frustrati Just to prove your love for an old classic?

I mean honestly mate....When the rest of the world has mastered the art of building street rods..why cant we... Its an awesome project and hope to see a complete review on completion..

"A total waste" - I dont think so.. if the jobs done well...it would give a "modded" OHC or a lancer a good run for its money...

Just remembered this thread, the car was at this years expo , pics here

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...ighlights.html

Grrrr who revived this thread? Its giving me ideas - a Chevy LS1 V8 + Drivetrain can be had for very little money these days, its almost a throwaway at about Rs.50k.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steeroid (Post 1134756)
Grrrr who revived this thread? Its giving me ideas - a Chevy LS1 V8 + Drivetrain can be had for very little money these days, its almost a throwaway at about Rs.50k.

Go for it buddy, live up to your name>>> Steer+ roid = steroid :D
Im sure the outcome of your modified project will be worthy of more than praise.... Amby on steroids!!