Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 24th September 2008, 18:23   #286
Senior - BHPian

i thought so Jaggu, but he has a new green filter i guess. so not due to the filter. May be diesel as you said.
Old 24th September 2008, 19:12   #287
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
well i dont know about the 10 months but since i fitted on the petes box about 17k kms. its now on 37xxx kms.
correction. i seem to be making many mistakes these days. the car has done 42xxx kms. the tuning box was fitted at around 20k kms. that means its done 22k kms on the car. it has been on the +2 setting for at least 20k kms without any problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
believe me, the temptation is strong, but peter himself told me that the optimum setting for the VDi is +1.A good combination of mileage, performance and driveability.

also, isnt the innova a VG turbo? that will help the engine deal with the slightly increased fuelling, in the FGT swift, using the +2 or +3 over long term will just lead to more soot and carbon because of the relative lack of oxygen.
just a theory. maybe peter can say more.
why not just try it for a while and see for yourself. there isnt going to be any harm done if you try it, say for a month and check the mileage and performance difference.

i dont think the innova has a vgt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobike008 View Post
I am having a concern too. Since i pete'd my viva, there is a lot of smoke coming out when i am driving a bit fast. I typically have the habit of revving up high all the time.

It is getting embarrasing to see the cloud of smoke in my ORVM when i take off from a signal.

What do i do to minimize it?
does it happen everytime you rev it? if it does i think it might be your fuel since your saying the filter is clean. but even in my innova if it hasnt been revved for a couple days and then it is revved there is alot of smoke. then it clears up completely with no smoke even at 4k rpm.
Old 24th September 2008, 22:22   #288
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post

why not just try it for a while and see for yourself. there isnt going to be any harm done if you try it, say for a month and check the mileage and performance difference.
I'm planning to try it for 5k atleast, will do so when i see peter at the next filter clean
@mobike
smoking, if it is purely due to the tuning box, should occur only in 4th and 5th gears during hard acceleration at high rpms.
in the swift, that means accelerating in 5th from 120kmph upwards.
or 4th from 100kmph upwards with the pedal mashed flat on the floor.

if you're smoking in all gears and at revs below 3500, its the air filter/fuel or others.

sameel had given a good explanation of why smoking occurs in hellstar's pete'd verna thread. have a look.

Old 6th October 2008, 18:43   #289
rippergeo

Mobil Delvac 1 Fully synthetic at wholesale rates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggu View Post
Do share the number here if the dealer is ok with it, there will be many interested customers from bangalore
Went there today, have got the phone numbers.managed to convince him, that there is a good market outside the authorised service stations if they sell directly to customers.

price for mobil 1 5W-50 would be Rs800 or slightly less per liter(Rs250 less than sticker price per liter) which works out to a saving of 750 Rs for the Vdi, and higher for other diesels.

Delvac 1 is not in stock, but the dealer said he'll order it for me. I have asked for 15 litres(Swift,Verna,Endy)

the office itself is called Speedaway- its in Mamangalam. pleasant bunch of guys.
0484 2342790
0484 2342791

the price of Rs800 is a ball park figure. we might be able to lower it slightly if you get together with friends and order in bulk.PM me for Muraleedharan's number(regional sales manager)

Last edited by rippergeo : 6th October 2008 at 18:44.

Old 6th October 2008, 22:45   #290
Senior - BHPian

A Team-BHP accessories shop with all the enthusiast equipment would be Godsend. Maybe 20 years from now, we'll see exactly that.

*pokes GTO & Co.*

That OT bit said, I have the post bookmarked for my switch to synthetic oil in the future. Thank you rippergeo.
Old 16th October 2008, 08:01   #291
Senior - BHPian

Silly koshun: Has anyone taken a Pete'd vehicle, esp Swift in my case, into the upper Himalayas - say Leh/Khardungla/N Sikkim?

Asking because reliability is what matters 99% to me, but if the box can improve in-gear behavior, that makes for much less gear-shifting in the himalayas. Of course, the question really is how much reliability suffers or not.

Last edited by phamilyman : 16th October 2008 at 08:05.
Old 16th October 2008, 10:05   #292
Senior - BHPian

Another silly Q.
Will the CAI+Filter help things on an otherwise stock Turbodiesel(My Lowly Indica) ?
I was thinking about synthetic, but guessed regular oil changes would be a better option. Someone else said that it was better for the turbo, but a tankful of synthetic costs as much as a new turbo, so ....

Last edited by greenhorn : 16th October 2008 at 10:06.
Old 17th October 2008, 07:34   #293
rippergeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by phamilyman View Post
Silly koshun: Has anyone taken a Pete'd vehicle, esp Swift in my case, into the upper Himalayas - say Leh/Khardungla/N Sikkim?

Asking because reliability is what matters 99% to me, but if the box can improve in-gear behavior, that makes for much less gear-shifting in the himalayas. Of course, the question really is how much reliability suffers or not.
I havent taken mine into the himalayas, but, reliability has not been an issue with my car.
I've been asked not to travel over 140 for sustained periods of time(1/2hr or more), because that could lead to overheating, but I cant imagine that happening on indian roads

@greehorn- wanderernomad was having the same qn as you. and I think he was planning some mods. PM him and see. I dont have any experience with the indica at all.

Old 17th October 2008, 11:33   #294
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steeroid View Post
Guys I'm having trouble on my truck now that has been attributed to the tuning box that I have fitted.

Please be careful. I will update after I sort out all issues.
Where has your ownership thread disappeared?
Old 4th November 2008, 15:39   #295
BHPian

Interesting discussion

So I was chatting with my service advisor at Mandovi to determine when I am to leave the car for its 20k service and I casually asked him what Maruti's position was on the Pete's box vis-a-vis warranty. He said (and I don't know how far this is accurate) that the engine warranty is not in affected in any way, but the speedometer warranty might be voided. I did explain to him that the box was plug and play and that no wire cutting was involved.

I am sorely tempted to leave the car with the box but do not wish to take that chance at all. So the box comes off this evening before she goes in for a service tomorrow.
Old 4th November 2008, 18:27   #296
Senior - BHPian

Yeah why take a chance. So I will swing by your place for the dabba then?
Old 4th November 2008, 18:34   #297
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s0uljah View Post
Yeah why take a chance. So I will swing by your place for the dabba then?
For 1 day? Really?
Old 5th November 2008, 12:23   #298
rippergeo

My service people at cochin dont seem to mind at all. they actually told me that they are servicing 3 or 4 cars other than mine, also running the box+CAI
it really depends on how your good your relations are with the dealer.

Old 5th November 2008, 15:45   #299
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rippergeo View Post
My service people at cochin dont seem to mind at all. they actually told me that they are servicing 3 or 4 cars other than mine, also running the box+CAI
it really depends on how your good your relations are with the dealer.
You may be right though I didn't want to risk it this time. It is the 20,000 kms service and besides all it takes is 5 minutes. It needs one guy with a bad attitude at the dealership to raise a stink about it and I can see my warranty and extended warranty flying away.
Old 13th March 2009, 16:14   #300
BHPian

Help requested...! Petes+Filter+ ??

Guys, Not sure if this is the right place to ask this.. but here it is anyway.

I'm planning to spice up my dad's swift in the near future.
Car is now 8 months old with around 12K on the odo

Plans :

1. Replacement filter (CAI, Conical whatever.. ?)
2. Pete's tuning box.
3. Strut Braces. (Is it required ?)

Questions :

1. Is it really required to change the Stock air filter if you are going in for pete's ? (Which one ? My dad loves cars and gets it serviced on time and all. However he is no do-it-yourself guy in case of car, so cleaning filter and stuff needs to be done by service guys and this is a major factor.)

2. The car is in cochin, where to get it fixed ? (Tuning box, filter and stuff)
(Again, hope this will not mess up the warranty and stuff, service center is Popular, I don't think dad will remove this before each service)

3. After all this is it required to go for Synthetic Oil ?
(Well this can be done and was suggested by the service center guy during 1st service, I still fail to get the logic of doing that on a relatively new engine anyway it was not done.)

My Thoughts :

1. Replace filter, let it grow on you (give car+driver some time)
2. Go in for the Pete's box, again give car+driver some time.
3. Add in Synthetic oil.

Please feel free to add your comments and correct me where ever applicable + expected prices + where to get it from + your valuable experience with the products in question.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks