Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th August 2007, 23:22   #1
BHPian

Seat Covers , Leather vs Leatherite vs Suede

Hi friends,

need your advice, looking for some good seat covers, whats the difference between Leatherite & Genuine Leather, do both heat in summer equally? feel the same ?
I think Leatherite is same as PU ? but some dealers show different stuff ?

PU is available for approx 3k whereas leatherite from Dolphin is around 6k for seat covers only, pls advise

Thanks in advance
Old 6th August 2007, 01:55   #2
BHPian

need the same advice...plus does leatherette last as long as genuine leather?
Old 6th August 2007, 10:11   #3
BHPian

genuine leather doesnt heat up like art leather,even if it does heat up a bit, it cools down very fast, so i would recommend to go for genuine leather, if budget is an issue go for fabric, pls avoid art leather.
Old 6th August 2007, 12:39   #4
BHPian

Is cotton seat cover totally out of fashion? I want to get cotton seat cover done, but most of the accessories shops in Pune do not stock them. I thnik I will have to go to curtain shop to get some fabric and then find a tailor who can stich that.
Old 6th August 2007, 12:51   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
Is cotton seat cover totally out of fashion? I want to get cotton seat cover done, but most of the accessories shops in Pune do not stock them. I thnik I will have to go to curtain shop to get some fabric and then find a tailor who can stich that.
Sounds like a good idea..even I was thinking of doing the same..as a matter of in Calcutta it gets so much hot that I will swear by fabric seat covers anyday...
Old 6th August 2007, 13:08   #6
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by radek View Post
Due to the varied climate, Cotton seat covers are the best, since they allow the seat covers to breath, unlike the leather ones.
Old 6th August 2007, 14:24   #7
Team-BHP Support

I for one am always in for fabric covers. Nothing to beat these. In hot summer days a leather, pseudo-leather, art-leather whatever be it causes you to sweat profusely in a few minutes. Thats a pathetic feeling. I particularly hate it when I have to go out for a short hop and get in wearing my shorts and the next thing I know is that my thighs are all sweaty and sticky. yuckks! I am better off any day with fabric covers. They can be washed as well.

But then the style and panache that a leather/art-leather cover brings is something which fabrics find difficult to match.
Zappo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2007, 14:55   #8
Senior - BHPian

Yes cotton covers are the best for comfort Indian conditions. However, I do not know for certain if leather is equally good. From my own personal experience, I have been using Corolla H4 which has leather seat covers as original spec. They are comfortable, not hot at all, and do not require extra effort to keep clean (pouring muck will dirty all covers, and may require the same effort to clean up). I do not know much about leatherite/suede, but my apprehensions about leather ( OK Toyota original covers) have been allayed fully.
Old 6th August 2007, 15:37   #9
Senior - BHPian

Yeah...fabric is good for our conditions. I too was pondering over this question. Nothing can beat the looks of leather though. For budget option (which i am going to do) is fabric covers, save money and put in a v-cool = performance.
enough money -> leather + v-cool = ultra "cool" performance.
Old 6th August 2007, 16:05   #10
vidvai

can the fabric seat covers be taken off, washed in a washing machine, pressed and then put back on? All this at home?? Can it be done? Because, i dont think it is that big a deal to put these covers back on...any advise would be appreciated..

Old 6th August 2007, 16:29   #11
BHPian

Well, the finish of Leatherite is really good, also there is something called Safina (The dealer said its valvet touch) which looks good, my concern is that whatever I fit in should be comfortable too in hot weather.
Old 6th August 2007, 16:38   #12
Senior - BHPian

Well,can someone suggest a few places in delhi to get the Seat Covers

i wud preferably get them stiched

art leather is fine cos its VFM
Old 6th August 2007, 17:03   #13
BHPian

I am also in a similar dilema for seat covers for my Aveo and with experience i personally find suede / velvet seat covers very graceful.

Any idea on what exactly is the difference between Suede and velvet and which material would be better for cars in terms of :-

fading, heat absorbtion etc.
Old 6th August 2007, 17:35   #14
Senior - BHPian

It also depends on where you live. If you live in a hot and humid place, it would be better to use the fabric ones. If you use leather/art leather, then you will have to use the A/C full time. Another option is to have one set for Summer (fabric) and another set (leather/art leather) for other seasons. The leather/art leather ones look cool and can easily be cleaned with a wet cloth.
Old 6th August 2007, 19:21   #15
Senior - BHPian

Depends on climate primarily. I would not choose art leather, rexin probably even leather if I lived in Chennai or any other humid/sticky place. For Bangalore leather would be really good as the climate is mild.

If you live in places where there's excess of rainfall, fabric does not make sense as it can get wet and soggy (if u get wet and get into the car) and it will not dry fast enough.

So its horses for courses.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks