Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Closed Thread
  Search this Thread
Old 19th May 2008, 11:15   #46
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravibhat View Post
This is the info. I found on the web (Just Dial - India's No.1 local search engine).

Ananth Sk

+(91)-(80)-26631125

+(91)-9886720053, 9845637334

ananthshakalya@yahoo.co.in

No 64/2,G M Garden Sarakki Mn Rd, Nr Rajalakshmi Nursing Home, J P Nagar, Bangalore - 560078

Hope this helps.

Ravi.
Thanks Ravi. I'll check up on them. Do post how they finish your Innova.
Old 19th May 2008, 20:25   #47
Senior - BHPian

I postponned my repainting idea now, purchased 3M rubbing compound to remove or minimize scratches. It worked wonders so far, My driver has washed the car using amway car shampoo with 3 hours effort and today after water wash and drying on scratch areas we have applied 3M rubbing compound we baught today and rubbed the area with full pressure, I can see small scratches are gone!

After removing / minimizing all scratches we will leave the car for a day and then wash it again and then using amway polish silicon glaze polish the car fully which is excellant product and giving best metal finish!

This work would take another 2 weeks since we are getting it done ourselves whenever free time available daily and Innova has lot of scratches!

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 20th May 2008, 09:01   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

where in b'lore did you buy 3M rubbing compound?
Old 20th May 2008, 10:01   #49
Senior - BHPian

Their Website

Their apprx Wikimapia location i.e. the "+" sign.

Since they have put only 1 small board outside, the best way is to follow the "Motorcraft" direction. They are parallel to Motorcraft.

Quote:
This is the info. I found on the web (Just Dial - India's No.1 local search engine).

Ananth Sk

+(91)-(80)-26631125

+(91)-9886720053, 9845637334

ananthshakalya@yahoo.co.in

No 64/2,G M Garden Sarakki Mn Rd, Nr Rajalakshmi Nursing Home, J P Nagar, Bangalore - 560078

Hope this helps.

Ravi.
Old 20th May 2008, 11:32   #50
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I postponned my repainting idea now, purchased 3M rubbing compound to remove or minimize scratches. It worked wonders so far, My driver has washed the car using amway car shampoo with 3 hours effort and today after water wash and drying on scratch areas we have applied 3M rubbing compound we baught today and rubbed the area with full pressure, I can see small scratches are gone!
Hi Ravi,
that sounds great Are all your scratches minor ones ? If some are deeper, then those body panels one has to paint. I also have 3M finesse rubbing compound (bought from a maruti workshop) - please take care you don't put too much pressure, or the clear coat which protects the paint will be removed (in other words, rubbing is only used to remove minor scratches)
Regards,
Old 25th May 2008, 13:06   #51
Senior - BHPian

Need to choose between Sai and Fastcars

Hi BHPians,
I am looking to paint my Lancer now that its 5 years old and has some small dents and scratches on more than a couple of panels (used to periodically rectify one or two body panels at a time at Southern motors in BLR over past 4+ years). So, decided to explore more options this time (due to high quote from A.S.S.). Following offers I got:

Small denting/tinkering + full outside paint
* SM (Automobile Service Center) : Rs.40k + taxes
(I can probably get 4-5k off due to regular customer!)
* Fastcars : Rs. 30k + taxes
* Sai Colorium : Rs. 20k (Service Tax only needs to be paid by A.S.S it seems)

Paint to be used :
* SM : Dupont (claimed) - Sai tells me they also use AxoNobel/Sikkens
* Fastcars : Dupont (they are Dupont authorised workshop)
* Sai : AxoNobel Sikkens (they are dealers for the same)

Both Fastcars, and Sai seem to have good sized workshops with paint booth and color mixing machines. I saw quite a few cars in denting and painting stages in both. From what I could make out, the jobs seem to be good (i didn't see fully finished cars in Fastcars though)...

Time required:
* SM : (Forgot what they said) Will ask again
* Fastcars : Mon to Sat of week after. They even wanted to bring the vehicle only when their current queue was worked (beg June)
* Sai : Mechanic said ~12 days, but proprietor (Mr. Ananth) after looking at my car and the work involved mentioned 6-7 days.

Sai mentioned AxoNobel is used widely by manufacturers like Volvo, Honda and others (AxoNobel acquired ICI earlier this year it seems).

Now, gurus on the forum, please provide some inputs on the different paint cos, and/or Fastcars & Sai!

I am gravitating towards Sai at the moment.

Regards,
Old 25th May 2008, 13:26   #52
Team-BHP Support

Southern motors does a horrid job of colour matching. My lancer's bonnet was painted thrice till they finally got the colour right. Now the same paint has started cracking on the bonnet.

On one occasion they left my car next to a silver car which was getting painted and I had silver flakes all over the car and it felt like sand paper.

My left front and back door have been done by them and it looks completely dull compared to the rest of the panels. Even the reflection from that panel is uneven.

They did some painting on my boot and forgot to screw the spoiler from one side. Suddenly on the road the spoiler came loose and swung out from the car. They had disconnected the rear tail lamps and number plate lights while painting and when I went to collect the car noticed they forgot to rewire it back. There was a 10cd changer in the boot when I gave the car, but when I got it back they claimed that there was no cd changer. After a fight they finally managed to find it.
Old 25th May 2008, 13:49   #53
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
Southern motors does a horrid job of colour matching. My lancer's bonnet was painted thrice till they finally got the colour right. Now the same paint has started cracking on the bonnet.

On one occasion they left my car next to a silver car which was getting painted and I had silver flakes all over the car and it felt like sand paper.

My left front and back door have been done by them and it looks completely dull compared to the rest of the panels. Even the reflection from that panel is uneven.

They did some painting on my boot and forgot to screw the spoiler from one side. Suddenly on the road the spoiler came loose and swung out from the car. They had disconnected the rear tail lamps and number plate lights while painting and when I went to collect the car noticed they forgot to rewire it back. There was a 10cd changer in the boot when I gave the car, but when I got it back they claimed that there was no cd changer. After a fight they finally managed to find it.
Wow, you seemed to have got the worst deal from SM with your car work. My experience has been average. I have had to argue and push them on almost occasions that I remember. Many jobs needed a 2nd (or 3rd) visit since the problem wasn't rectified first time around. But for the painting and denting jobs, they usually did a decent job (I have also a rear door panel where some parts of the finish could be better) - overall, color matching was pretty decent (considering every 6-9 months, I am atleast repainting a body panel or bumper). They do try to hurry up the work (or skips some bits) and this can cause bad results ... Overall, you are probably right that they don't deserve the price they charge in terms of the painting/body work.
That's one reason I don't want to shell out 40k for a 5 year young car :-)
Old 25th May 2008, 13:54   #54
Team-BHP Support

I've been getting work from them for 8 years now. Shifted to Lathangi a year back but now have to go back to them.

The story I related was only for painting. that's nothing compared to the service experience I've had.
Old 25th May 2008, 16:21   #55
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid6639 View Post
I've been getting work from them for 8 years now. Shifted to Lathangi a year back but now have to go back to them.

The story I related was only for painting. that's nothing compared to the service experience I've had.
Ok, that makes your association with SM almost 2x mine. So, maybe, I was fortunate in most of my dealings though their work has been around the average level for me ...

Hope people can throw some light on Sikkens vs Dupont and any additional experiences with Sai or Fastcars ...

Thanks,
Old 25th May 2008, 17:55   #56
Senior - BHPian

I agree about 3M rubbing compound which would remove small scratches. I can see big scratches need repaint thats only solution.

I feel choose between Sai and Fast cars, both seems good place. I heard Sai is best VFM. I don't know about paint types.

Regards,

Ravi.
Old 26th May 2008, 12:14   #57

Hi Guys,

One of the old school processes for such cases is to sand down the entire car with 1500/2000 paper and the clear will resemble a dull smoked look with no shine and the pigment will also not show up.
After this either an entire coat (LS/MS Clear-Low Solids or Medium Solids)of clear can be sprayed to increase the DFT (Dry Film Thickness) or the existing layer then buffed and polished to bring back the original shine.
There is also a poly vinyl clear filler that can be applied as it is on clear coats like a wax coat on small scratches.It fills up the minor indentations to leave a smooth texture and can continue to wax the top to leave a clean finish.The idea is to retain he originality of the company components as long as possible.

Also you can simply do up the panel where you have max damage by sanding PU body filler and spot putty.Use PU material throughout and no NC material.2 coats of pigment, 2/3 cloats of clear and some fade out thinner smoke spray to match the panel with the adjacent panels for gloss.

Why dont you call these guys to get a quote as well?They have excellent BASF (Glasurit) Clears and pigments that last for a lifetime of the car.If you know the process explain it to them...else just leave it to them to figure out what is best.

Ramesh-9845331921
Philip-9945191751
Robert-9845929217
Old 26th May 2008, 12:33   #58
Senior - BHPian

Sai seems to be a good place ... I had been there last month
Old 28th May 2008, 13:15   #59
Senior - BHPian

@MikeMahe, thanks for the info and suggestions. I have some denting and door panel alignment to be done, plus I kind of am not looking for new options (already made the efforts to visit A.S.S., Sai and fastcars, so will conclude out of Sai and fastcars)
Old 29th May 2008, 20:28   #60
Senior - BHPian

Ok, so took the plunge today and left my car at Sai Colorium for denting & painting. Hoping that they'll do a very good job! Will keep you posted on how the results come out ...

Regards,
Closed Thread

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks