Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th October 2015, 13:51   #46
BHPian

Re: Performance MODS for ALTO lxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by padmakar.vikas View Post
I have a 2011 Alto LXi F8D.
First, I chopped off the mile long intake snorkel right upto the air box (pre-filter), that worked.
Hello, nice to see an Alto being modded
Can you elaborate a bit on the 'mile long intake' & the 'pre-filter' bit ( ? ).
By snorkel, do you mean the small U-shaped tube that's connected to the air-box at one end & has a scoop at the other end that's fixed to the cross member on top of the radiator ?

Quote:
So I installed a secondary air inlet, that messed things up.
Undid the second inlet by sealing the aperture.
Re-did by adding 2 additional air inlets facing front and right upto where the hood lock is located (cold air).
That works well.
Can you elaborate a bit on how the second aperture 'messed things up' ( ? ).
I presume you lost a bit of low-end torque ( drivability ), but hoping you saw some improvement at higher throttle openings ( ? ).
Asking since I'm planning to replace the intake I have now with the Swift's ( G13BB ) air-box & throttle-body.
It'd be nice if you could post some pics of your engine-bay too.

Quote:
Personally, I do not recommend free flow filter, allows a lot of dust into the intake and eventually into the cylinder, I don't want that to happen.
Trust me, I know it from the horse's mouth, a friend who drives a 3 liter truck and had used a free flow filet and switched back to original because he could 'see' dust in his intake manifold.
True, but not all filters are created equal, the intake I use has an ultra-fine stainless-steel mesh as the filtering element ( it's an oiled one ).
However, to date, haven't noticed any dust of any kind on the downstream side of the filter ( using the same filter for the past 9 years & clean it every 6 months ).

Last edited by im_srini : 7th October 2015 at 13:53.
Old 11th October 2015, 19:43   #47

Hi Srini, yes, by snorkel, I mean the long U shaped rubber hose that runs from the airbox to behind the left headlight. In my Alto it is all gone. There is just a little trough left of it to prevent hot air being sucked into the box, about 2 inches long, only!
The second intake messed things because it was a long arrangement G shaped near the firewall and feeding the airbox from bottom. That has long been sealed. Now I have 2 rubber hoses (additional) about 4 inches long each, looking a little upwards and drawing air directly from above the grill (cooler air). I intend to drill 2 more of those and then may be seal of the original air inlet altogether. From experience, unidirectional air flow is better plus when the vehicle is moving, air intakes looking forward get a little forced feed.
I will post images of the engine bay as soon as possible.
I am very much interested in your filter and if it has worked for you for 9 years then may be I can use that in my air box. I am currently also toying with the idea of adding a second air box feeding right before where the MPFI system begins, suggestions welcomed!
Old 26th May 2016, 22:22   #48

Cold air intake for Alto F8D
TRANSFORMER!
Will provide more details on performance improvements etc but for now just read the caps piece again and again and well.. AGAIN!
Attached Thumbnails
Performance MODS for ALTO lxi-p_20160525_143825.jpg  

Performance MODS for ALTO lxi-p_20160525_143903.jpg  

Performance MODS for ALTO lxi-p_20160525_143838.jpg  

Last edited by Zappo : 27th May 2016 at 16:36. Reason: Image straightened

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks