Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th August 2007, 01:27   #1

which car to mod: swift vs honda city

hi guys,

this is my first post and hope it is in the right place.

before i say anything, i would like to congratulate you guys on doing a great job here. keep it up.

i just came back from the UK and was pleased to see the modding scene here is doing well.

now my query is that which car would be a better choice second hand swift or honda city (old one) in terms of reliabilty.

my max budget would be around rs.7 lacs.

This is what I would like to have and would be glad if you could help me out.

Performance is my priority. so,

overhauled engine
camshafts
free flow exhaust system
super charger ( i am not a fan of turbochargers but i am flexible)
brakes

going by gto's guide this would cost around 3 lacs+

I would like to keep the exterior simple

standard paint job (white on swift/black on ohc)
black rims (16inch-swift/17 inch ohc)
very light body kit
twin muffler tips at the back

i have no idea about the cost of paint jobs but alloys + body kit shud be around rs.75 K

for interiors
black leather seat
extra AC vent for back seat passengers
cosmetic changes to the dashboard

again no idea about the cost.

for entertainment

not really interested in ice. mid-range music system would do.

Now, if you have been patient enough to go through this thanks a lot. so, how much do you think this whole package would cost me? i am sure i can't afford all that in 7 lacs, so what wud be the best compromise?

the models i am after are ohc 1.5 or swift zxi, preowned obviously.

i live near delhi in a small town called aligarh. so for me acceleration is more important than top speed (hence my preference of sc).

also, swift will be more practical for city driving and i won't have to do much highway driving. but the disadvantage is that the swift is more expensive.

guys, i would really appreciate your input and look forward to your responses.

as i said before because of my proximity to delhi, i think arush would be the best man for the job.

once again, thanks a lot.
Old 20th August 2007, 10:34   #2
Team-BHP Support

why dont you buy an ohc and do an engine swap. it will fit in your budget easily. you can swap a b16 which is about 180bhp stock i think. the ac vents for the rear would be tough. or if you buy a swift you could put in a baleno engine or something.
Old 20th August 2007, 12:00   #3
BHPian

Info...

Quote:
Originally Posted by umar786 View Post

Performance is my priority. so,

overhauled engine
camshafts
free flow exhaust system
super charger ( i am not a fan of turbochargers but i am flexible)
brakes

i live near delhi in a small town called aligarh. so for me acceleration is more important than top speed (hence my preference of sc).
Hello dude.. welcome to t-bhp. I am sure you'll find more than enough suggestions for your query.

So let me suggest you my $0.02:

I don't know what cars you drove during your stay in the UK, but here in India, with puny engines and torque figures we have; the best bet for Forced Induction is a Turbo. As you might be aware of; the SC runs directly off the engine and hence feeds on a part of the engine's output. Thus the gains that you might get by installing a SC maybe negated by this characterstic. The turbo on the other hand feeds off the exhaust gases and does not suck up the engine output.

Regarding your preference for accelaration and not top speed; bear in mind that a turbo setup can be tuned to kick in at the low end of the engine's rev range. This is true only to an extent; since at very low RPMs, the exhaust pressure is not enough to spool the turbo.

For pros and cons of both FI options check this thread:

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/collec...r-charger.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
why dont you buy an ohc and do an engine swap. it will fit in your budget easily. you can swap a b16 which is about 180bhp stock i think. the ac vents for the rear would be tough. or if you buy a swift you could put in a baleno engine or something.
This also holds true.. Instead of going for the FI setup on a stock Swift/OHC engine; you may go for a complete engine swap as well. For the OHC; the best bet would be a B16, power output ranges from ~160 to ~180 horses; depending on the series (A,B,C). And the best part is, this will fit in your budget of 7 Lacs INR.

For the swift the baleno engine is the best bet; thats more of a forced choice since there are no more powerful suzuki powerplants freely available. (Tuners please correct me if I'm wrong). A blue printed baleno engine with headworks and remapped ECU can easily push out 110-120 horses. You can also check with Mclaren1885 for more info on extent of Baleno engine modifications.

@tuners How about a B16 swap into a Swift?? Is that recommended/possible?
Old 20th August 2007, 12:05   #4
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
You are not stupid Thats a bang on suggestion, a used OHC = 4Lacs + Engine(2L) and better tyres and some modifications to the suspension and voila a car which will burn the track.

P.S you study in Aligarh University?
Old 20th August 2007, 12:29   #5
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Swifts engine bay is not ideally big enough for proper turbo or supercharger applications. Even the OHC engine bay doesn't have loads of space. However, between the two it would be better to choose the OHC.

Unless and until you are planning to send the car down to Bangalore, don't even think about going Turbo (supercharger kits not available easily) anywhere else in India. Rest of the stuff like cams, ECU's, high compression pistons etc will be easily available.
Old 20th August 2007, 20:23   #6

Brilliant advice

thanks a lot for your encouraging replies.

well, OHC with engine swaps seems to be the way forward but i have read somewhere on tbhp that engine swaps are unreliable. is it so?

about the rs. 4lac for OHC will it include paint job and rims cost?

sorry to introduce something new, but will a lancer work out cheaper?

yeah, i am a student in Aligarh Muslim University. in my 2nd year of graduation.

when I was in the Uk i had a old ford fiesta 1.3 which was ok. i also drove a vauxhall corsa. and was fortunate enough to have a rip in the BMW M5 and Subura Impreza (unfortunately, they didn't let me drive). i also could not hire any car because I was too young. (19 years).

ps. doomsday, i being an ultimate noob can get away with saying anything, so here goes:

regarding suzuki not having a decent powerplant, what about installing the 2.7l V6 grand vitara engine in a baleno or swift. it gives 185 bhp stock. i know you want to kill me for saying something so stupid but thats the fun of online forum, no injuries.
Old 20th August 2007, 21:22   #7
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
regarding suzuki not having a decent powerplant, what about installing the 2.7l V6 grand vitara engine in a baleno or swift. it gives 185 bhp stock. i know you want to kill me for saying something so stupid but thats the fun of online forum, no injuries.
The H27 won't fit in either the baleno or the swift. The engine is much taller. The only engine swap you can do on a suzuki is a baleno or esteem engine into a zen or a swift sport engine into the swift. Though, I am afraid, no will be able to give you the later.

Mivec'd lancer should cost you around 7-8L. 170bhp on tap atleast. Plus the legendary Mitus handling. Would anyday recommend it over the Honda swap. I hope you are not looking at pure drag racing?
Old 22nd August 2007, 14:17   #8
BHPian

Sorry was not able to follow up what was happening here, there was a voltage fluctuation ~400 V in my house mains, blew my laptop adapter and stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
The H27 won't fit in either the baleno or the swift. The engine is much taller. The only engine swap you can do on a suzuki is a baleno or esteem engine into a zen or a swift sport engine into the swift. Though, I am afraid, no will be able to give you the later.

Mivec'd lancer should cost you around 7-8L. 170bhp on tap atleast. Plus the legendary Mitus handling. Would anyday recommend it over the Honda swap. I hope you are not looking at pure drag racing?
Bingo.. that engine would not fit in the Baleno/Swift. That is what I meant when I said the Suzuki powerplants are not easily available in India.

That apart, the Mivec Lancer is a good alternative. You can also expect the same performance from a B16 swap into a OHC. I am unsure about the drivetrain though.

@mclaren1885- Does the Mivec Lancer incorporate AWD?
Old 22nd August 2007, 17:52   #9
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by doomsday View Post

Does the Mivec Lancer incorporate AWD?

i think you could. but that would raise the cost alot.
Old 24th August 2007, 19:00   #10
BHPian

Question...

Quote:
i think you could. but that would raise the cost alot.
Ok so is it optional? I thought along with the MIVEC engine, the drivetrain HAS to be switched to AWD. So it retains the FWD in case if its optional.

Perhaps sideways (Farhan) may comment on this. He owns a MIVEC engine equipped Lancer in Chennai.
Old 24th August 2007, 20:56   #11
Team-BHP Support

yup.. i think the bangy boys know alot about this. ill let them comment on this.
Old 24th August 2007, 21:11   #12
Senior - BHPian

You guys talk like B16 swaps are child's play. I have not seen a single one that has lasted like an e-zen or a Mivec Lancer. The B16 is not a bolt-on or a drop-in swap. You need custom everything. And it'll cost you a bomb.

Your best option would be a Swift turbo, or a Mivec Lancer. Both will give you some great acceleration and good handling as well.

If you're talking about a 7 lakh budget just for mods, your tuner is going to be a very happy person. If it's 7 lakhs for everything, you will just about make it.
Old 24th August 2007, 21:17   #13
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
well, OHC with engine swaps seems to be the way forward but i have read somewhere on tbhp that engine swaps are unreliable. is it so?
Not really, if the swap is done well & the engine/gearbox/running gear etc. is in good condition then all you need to do is service the car regularly & it shouldn't give you any problems

Quote:
about the rs. 4lac for OHC will it include paint job and rims cost?
In UP yes, you can get a good condition OHC 1.3 (you don't need the 1.5/VTEC in case you're going for a swap) for around 3L and so can spend the rest 1L for a top-quality paint job & good rims & tyres.
Old 26th August 2007, 20:23   #14

Change of Plans

Well, my dad didn't really like the idea of getting the car tuned up. So no swift/ohc/lancer for me.

but we came to a compromise, he said i could buy any bike i wanted, so it will either be a RE Thunderbird or Pulsar DTSFi. Just wish me luck that i make the right decision.

anyway, guys i really appreciate all the help and support you extended but .

God-willing when i start earning i have a dream project of turning the contessa into a muscle car. till then i will dream on.

anyway, thanks guys.
Old 27th August 2007, 04:40   #15
BHPian

POOF!! hehe .. well people .. hold ur "horses" (couldnt help it .. sorry) the project has come to an abrupt end. well better it did now before it all started right ?!

well umar .. good job .. ride safe .. always wear a helmet .. and watch out for anything/anyone that/who might pop up in front of you .. thats the thrill in driving in India .. always expect the unexpected .. you should have amazing reflexes! hehe .. take care

MODS =) i assume this thread is closed .. for now atleast ..

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks