Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th January 2010, 16:29   #46
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by s3va View Post
MKH..great response..Thanks

I was given to understand through a reliable source in 3M(technical) about the difference between yellow and blue MFs.And lot of Scotch products available abroad are not marketed here in India. So what probably you must have seen must be an imported one, you never know. The retailers/professionals get the blue ones for a discounted price and that's about it. Nevertheless I will soon try to find out the difference personally.

As you said baniyan cloth is the easily available best cloth, I have been using it for years. I am really keen on MF like products purely for the reason that I dont get to wash my car most of the times as my watchman does it for me. And the care I can expect from him is the least for the simple reason that it is not his car. Hence I thought of atleast equipping him with a good cloth so that things like swirls and all those could be minimized.
Did they say there is no difference? Why would they sell to the detailing centers (their own) at 350 what is in retail for Rs 90 in that case? Strange...i saw it myself, its really tough and the guy told me they use it daily and for about 3 months...which is a lot of use it goes through.
I would update more once i lay my hands and compare both of them in person
BTW i too gave micro cloth to my watch man- he messed it up- b vvvv careful in giving it to him. The micro cloth holds dust and unless you shake OFF the dust, it can end up scratching the car BIG TIME.
This is esp if its wet and not rinsed in water after each section is wiped or another section of cloth turned over
Try youtube- you have some videos on how to use micro fiber cloth. Also try google- and search for how to wash car with microfiber- i found a few articles where read and understood
I am doing myself these days and when he does- have inspected so that he knows now how to. Best approach is to have enough water poured so that dust is cleared off if there is dust on the car. If dirty- gotta use car shampoo or again clear off using enough water.
When the cloth is wet enough , chance of scratching i less...
Old 27th January 2010, 16:35   #47
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
As you said baniyan cloth is the easily available best cloth, I have been using it for years.
When I made jewellery (as a hobby only), this soft cotton was the only thing I used in my workshop as rag. Just about everything else I tried left fine marks and scratches on silver, and paper towel was the worst.

This was before the days of micro-fibre, which I suspect I might now find very useful for cleaning and polishing jewellery.
Old 27th January 2010, 17:17   #48
BHPian

MKH..Oops, MF with its own cynical capabilities uh ! thanks for sharing that gyan about dusting the MF before proceeding to other sections. How I miss my home town where water is available in abundance ! I dont wash the car primarily for the reason that I dont get time, and even if i lay my hands, I am habituated to use a min of 3 buckets(water conservationists, no brick bats please !!!) which would turn out to be a sin in my water craving apartment !

The pricing looks wierd ! Usually the professionals get the discounts and we have to pay the margins ! I shall confirm this soon !

Thad sir. I have the same experience too but on a different application ie my spectacles. It used to stay pristine for hardly 2-3 weeks form date of purchase and then scratches started to appear. I was totally clueless until I found that the tissue paper doing the harm !
Old 27th January 2010, 22:19   #49
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
MKH..Oops, MF with its own cynical capabilities uh ! thanks for sharing that gyan about dusting the MF before proceeding to other sections. !
Some pics...The yellow cloth is 3M - 12x12, the BLUE is from SPAR-OASIS MAll and 14x16. Both are equally good- folded you can see that 3M cloth is little plusher- has more fibers per square inch, but the blue one is easier to use, has 70-30 ratio while 3M has 75-25( polyster to polyamide)
Attached Thumbnails
Microfiber Towels in India (best for detailing)-img_0828.jpg  

Microfiber Towels in India (best for detailing)-sta_0822.jpg  

Microfiber Towels in India (best for detailing)-stb_0823.jpg  

Old 27th January 2010, 22:42   #50
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
MKH..Oops, MF with its own cynical capabilities uh ! thanks for sharing that gyan about dusting the MF before proceeding to other sections. How I miss my home town where water is available in abundance ! I dont wash the car primarily for the reason that I dont get time, and even if i lay my hands, I am habituated to use a min of 3 buckets(water conservationists, no brick bats please !!!) which would turn out to be a sin in my water craving apartment !

The pricing looks wierd ! Usually the professionals get the discounts and we have to pay the margins ! I shall confirm this soon !

Thad sir. I have the same experience too but on a different application ie my spectacles. It used to stay pristine for hardly 2-3 weeks form date of purchase and then scratches started to appear. I was totally clueless until I found that the tissue paper doing the harm !
check the link- Shop 3M: 3M Perfect-It Jumbo Detailing Cloth 06018, 16 in x 16 in
the same cloth 16x16 is sold for the professional detailing 3M centers for Rs 350...which is the same cost as in the US...3M sells quality i guess...
Old 28th January 2010, 00:03   #51
BHPian

Have tried 3M/Fouring and all kinds of unbranded ones avlbl at Big Bazar/Landmark and other auto accessories stores. Best I have found is the Jopasu blue one. Great soaking ability. the fibres are also just right in size - neither too small nor too big. Leaves a spot free surface when cleaning a wet surface. However, have tried this on my 40 days old car..so the paint is new. But the cloth really feels good.
Old 28th January 2010, 10:28   #52
BHPian

MKH : So if I have understood you right, in the pics above, the Yellow is 3M and Blue is a non-3M and they are the normal ones available to a normal customer, right ? While in the link that you have provided I believe it is available to professionals at Rs.350/-. Hmm..Let me check with my 3M contact and I shall revert soon.

But I have guessed it right that the one being sold to prof. is an import that is not available at retail nor online 3M India site, and I presume you are trying to source that through your contact in 3M !

SanjayC : I am using Jopasu duster and I am extremely satisfied with it. So I would be really interested in the Jopasu MF. Have you bought it through Ebay or is it available at retail outlets ?
Old 28th January 2010, 10:36   #53
Senior - BHPian

I saw these in SPAR retailing for 99 a piece. There were also smaller ones from some other company retailing for INR 149 for 3 pieces in a bundle.
Old 28th January 2010, 11:20   #54
BHPian

Quote:
SanjayC : I am using Jopasu duster and I am extremely satisfied with it. So I would be really interested in the Jopasu MF. Have you bought it through Ebay or is it available at retail outlets ?
Thru Ebay. Ordered for the gift pack worth 1075 IIRC, on 6th Jan. Recd on 20th Jan.
Old 28th January 2010, 11:51   #55
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjayc View Post
Thru Ebay. Ordered for the gift pack worth 1075 IIRC, on 6th Jan. Recd on 20th Jan.
Is this india made? I saw the guys store on ebay- some -ve feedback on delivery etc. Is this only online or some physical location also?
Have you used the 3M cloth which is for Rs 90? How does this micro compare to that one? Any other micro fibers you compared it with?
V interesting find as i did search for micro fiber a few weeks back on ebay india and found no results...
Old 28th January 2010, 12:07   #56
BHPian

Here you go

eBay India: Jopasu Microfiber Utility Pack (item 110478317844 end time 06-Feb-2010 10:45:39 IST)

I have ordered Jopasu product before and I didnt have any issues with respect to delivery.
Old 28th January 2010, 15:02   #57
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
Is this india made? I saw the guys store on ebay- some -ve feedback on delivery etc. Is this only online or some physical location also?
Have you used the 3M cloth which is for Rs 90? How does this micro compare to that one? Any other micro fibers you compared it with?
V interesting find as i did search for micro fiber a few weeks back on ebay india and found no results...
No Idea. Have used the 3M cloth, but I find the jopasu one better water soaking and holding capacity. You can read the Jopasu thread for more details. The excuse given for the late delivery was becos of lot of holidays and their courier selection is utter rubbish. However, mostly people have got the delivery. Good thing is you can call the owner on mobile. Physical location is only in Pune.
Old 28th January 2010, 15:18   #58
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
MKH : So if I have understood you right, in the pics above, the Yellow is 3M and Blue is a non-3M and they are the normal ones available to a normal customer, right ? While in the link that you have provided I believe it is available to professionals at Rs.350/-. Hmm..Let me check with my 3M contact and I shall revert soon.

But I have guessed it right that the one being sold to prof. is an import that is not available at retail nor online 3M India site, and I presume you are trying to source that through your contact in 3M !

yes correct- the blue one is a recent addition, used it and its quite good for wiping, did not use for buffing and wax removal. I think for detailing using detailer- meguiars is the best, for wax removal- almost all the same
I am getting the 3M for daily wiping thru my friend in 3M, let me knw if you need one for urself - am getting at 20-25% discount which means lesser than the cost from US also( which as u saw is $8)

Last edited by mkh : 28th January 2010 at 15:25.
Old 28th January 2010, 16:17   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkh View Post
yes correct- the blue one is a recent addition, used it and its quite good for wiping, did not use for buffing and wax removal. I think for detailing using detailer- meguiars is the best, for wax removal- almost all the same
I am getting the 3M for daily wiping thru my friend in 3M, let me knw if you need one for urself - am getting at 20-25% discount which means lesser than the cost from US also( which as u saw is $8)
Going back to my initial question, can this be used for WET wash ?
Old 28th January 2010, 18:15   #60
mkh
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Going back to my initial question, can this be used for WET wash ?
Few things
1. Are you going to soak the cloth in water and use it to wipe the car and THEN use a dry one to wipe? YES YOU CAN USE IT( have done it myself)- This works very well for daily use if car is not waxed recently.
2. Are you going to pour water over the car and then use cloths to clean- YOU CAN again use the microfiber cloth
BOTH cases- should ensure rinse the cloth in a bucket of water once you go over an area of the car as dirt gets stuck in the cloth..
Now if the car is really really dirty, gotta use car shampoo-water and then cloth. Even here, some people use a microfiber to apply car shampoo over the car which is better than normal cloth or even a sponge( best as i said is a wash mitt)
Most useful in the last case is a water absorbing cloth, which is little different from normal micro fiber cloths.

These days- i have waxed the car and all i do is dust using a static duster gently and then move my microfiber cloth gently over the car to capture dust, turning the cloth over to a clean section each time and dusting it...
This is ONLY till rains start in B'lore - then- need to pour water and clean with micro cloth and once in 3 days use shampoo or when lot of mud covers the car..
Hope this helps

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks