Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th August 2007, 20:20   #1
BHPian

Bumper Guards

Hi,
I am sure this topic must have been discussed somewhere...but i guess i dont know what is the correct word to search for it.
I was wondering, if it is possible to get those extra steel front and rear "bumper guards" fixed for all types of cars...say UVA or Indigo or Icon-Flair.
If so, where in bangalore...and how much does it cost.
and..is it worth the cost...lets assume that one is ok with the "ugly" look that it will give on a cute uva...
Does it server its purpose of protecting the bumbers from scratches.

and most important...what are those things actually called?

Thanks,
Mohit
Old 27th August 2007, 23:51   #2
BHPian

They are an absolute no no. They might keep the bumper from minor dents and scrathes. But in case of a serious crash it bypasses the cusioning protection the bumper provides and occupants end up absorbing the impact of the shock.
Old 28th August 2007, 00:17   #3
Distinguished - BHPian

They also kill pedestrians who otherwise might have been little more than bruised.

An Absolute No No
Old 28th August 2007, 02:20   #4
Team-BHP Support

I think he is talking about something different from what you people are assuming. I think he wants to know about those sticky type scratch guards people fix on the bumpers, mostly on the rounded edges. Whereas you guys are thinking about the metallic crash-guard/bull bars. But then I am not very sure either...
Old 28th August 2007, 08:07   #5
BHPian

Zappo,
I was actually talking abt the crash guard.
But my actual intent of thinking abt them was to protect the bumbers of my wud be car from scratches. I am kind of week hearted person and wont be able to see my new shiny wud be car getting scratched by some idiot....specially when the most common scratch that I see are on bumpers.

So the intent is prevent bumpers getting scratched.
My possible solution was crash guards.
Any other options..please advice.
Old 28th August 2007, 11:17   #6
Senior - BHPian

Don't go for Crash-guard, In an event of collision, it directly effects the chasis/body.
For me it doesn't look good
Old 28th August 2007, 17:48   #7
BHPian

ok,
This topic is discussed at length here...
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifi...ighlight=guard

So now coming to the next question.
If not bull bars..then what...to prevent small/medium scratches on bumpers?
Old 28th August 2007, 17:50   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

Yes, 'Bull Bars' is what they are called in UK (and USA?). And there are times when I wouldn't mind having something to nudge our local cows out of the way, especially when they have settled down to rest in the night!

Unless you are in the habit of driving into things, it is my experience that most of those unexplained scratches on your new car (sorry; they are inevitable, I guess) seem to come on the side. Bikers squeezing past, other parked cars opening their doors, and so on.

My three-month old front bumper is about the only part of the car which is pretty much untouched! Might even be more appropriate to put one of those things on the back! Ours was dented by a bike on day four of owning the car. Both sides have small scratches and evidence of other door openers. Damnit, even the roof shows of evidence why I always said only I should clean the car.

Those bumper corner rubbers got a mention in that silliest-car-accessory thread, but I have more than once thought I could clear an obstacle on a tight turn, only to get a scratch, so I think they are worth it.

Drive carefully, but please say no to bull bars
Old 29th August 2007, 14:14   #9
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zappo View Post
I think he is talking about something different from what you people are assuming. I think he wants to know about those sticky type scratch guards people fix on the bumpers, mostly on the rounded edges. Whereas you guys are thinking about the metallic crash-guard/bull bars. But then I am not very sure either...
I think what you described here is what is used by most folks for escaping from getting scratches as the rounded corners of the bumpers are the most susceptable for scratches.

I had an experience this morning, i came to office and parked the car and took a look and was to see that my rear left bumber has some medium sized scratches on them. i dont even recall if somebody touched me or something as the music is always so loud, i wouldnt even know if somebody kisses me.

My question here is should i use any ready made spray paint to make to hide the scratches? mine is that bright red color, will i be able to get the same one in aftermarket?
Old 29th August 2007, 18:22   #10
BHPian

Do post some pics so that we can have a clearer picture.
Old 29th August 2007, 18:38   #11
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohan_fonseca View Post
Do post some pics so that we can have a clearer picture.
will do that as soon as i am able to get my hands on the connector cable
Old 12th September 2007, 19:16   #12
BHPian

as mentioned above, a 'bull bar' or 'bumper guard' or 'crash guard' will pass on the impact to the backbone of your car (the chasis) instead of repairable dents on the bonnet...it is not advisable..you could go for those rubber/plastic stickers on the bonnet to avoid small 'touches & kisses' here and there, though it wont help in severe impacts.

Also, I cannot imagine a crash guard on a honda city, a lancer or an accord...it goes well with jeeps and SUV's, maruti omni...i have seen some on maruti 800 & santro though...
Old 13th September 2007, 12:10   #13
BHPian

thanks everyone,

My intension was to have a protection mechanism to avoid minor scratches.
I guess the rubber stickers are better apt to to the job.
Any idea how much do they cost?
Old 13th September 2007, 13:14   #14
BHPian

I have seen few new vehicles coming with a bumper protection, which looked like Graphite - mostly grey colored sticking to the bumper in the front. Where are these available, especially for Swift.
Old 13th September 2007, 14:20   #15
Senior - BHPian

amohit, assuming you have not bought your car yet, I would advise going for black (natural/unpainted) bumpers. IMHO, for our country 'body-coloured bumpers' are just not right. It would break my heart too to see my new baby with unsightly scratches - I too am 'faint of heart'!
Before confirming your order, for whichever variant, negotiate for 'natural color'/black bumpers, even if it means paying for the 'body coloured' ones and having to wait a few days for the delivery. Minor scratches do not show up as much on 'non-body-coloured' bumpers. They always emerge looking smarter in the long run without the utter PITA that 'body-coloured' ones cause.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks