Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th December 2009, 17:03   #31
BHPian

Thats a cool idea to mount a camcorder, I doubt anything like this would available in the market, these kind of stuff is always best done DIY style.

However a couple of concerns, the passenger in the co-driver seat will need to be very careful as there is the risk of him getting poked in the eye or head, maybe you need to put some soft material on the other side.

Also have you tried recording and seen the output of the video ? Because I had a similar idea and I always wondered how the camera will handle the vibrations of the car, if the video will be too shaky.
Old 14th December 2009, 17:28   #32
Senior - BHPian

HVK has a video camera mounted on to the rear view mirror and it shoots the videos as some fps and stores it on to the SD card.

he had PMed me the details if you want i can share with you, you can check with him directly as well.

Vibrations would be killing the video camera, unless the camera has some sort of compensation for vibrations.
Old 14th December 2009, 17:34   #33
BHPian

Fantastic! Have never seen one like it. Given some good material and finish this would be a super product. Great job again. I would love to have one to capture some of the morons that drive on our roads.
Old 14th December 2009, 17:58   #34
Team-BHP Support

I have tried using the headrests as a camera mount(not using stand, but a gorillapod), but the problem is that in diesels, there is always some vibration in the seats.
So if you have a cam with image stabilization(most camcorders offer that), it should work good, otherwise you will get slightly soft video.
A better option could be to use a suction cup mount on the front windscreen instead, since the windscreen will vibrate less than the seat.
Old 14th December 2009, 18:00   #35
Senior - BHPian

Found this weekend project on youtube.. seems very easy DIY! Will give it a go this christmas holiday ! Only concern is that if I can get the eye-bolt in local hardware store!

PS. If you see the last part of the video, the camcorder seems to hold stiffnessly (not sure the right word) with no vibration.. of course, the roads will make a difference.. but I am guessing, it would be much more stable than the suction holder (I used one in SX4, but camcorder fell off after 5 mins)

Last edited by iTNerd : 14th December 2009 at 18:03.
Old 21st December 2009, 17:50   #36
BHPian

I found some other solution, i dont know will it be feasible for this purpose or not.
Why dont you simply get a reverse camera attached to the front bumper, use that for the recording?
I know it wont be high quality, but it also means not a big deal if it does get damaged.
Old 21st December 2009, 19:36   #37
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhayshanu View Post
I found some other solution, i dont know will it be feasible for this purpose or not.
Why dont you simply get a reverse camera attached to the front bumper, use that for the recording?
I know it wont be high quality, but it also means not a big deal if it does get damaged.
The whole point is good quality vids. And you would then need a secondary recorder to capture the video from the reverse camera.
Old 25th December 2009, 16:22   #38
Senior - BHPian

In-car headrest camcorder mount

Got one today, Finally!

In-car Camera mounts - Attaching a video camera to the Car-1.jpg
In-car Camera mounts - Attaching a video camera to the Car-3.jpg
Old 3rd February 2010, 21:51   #39
BHPian

Did this DIY recently for a cost of 150/- (excluding the camcorder of course)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post1682458
Old 4th February 2010, 02:36   #40
aZa
Senior - BHPian

Oye sanjay! Thats a killer idea, i have the same table top tripod lying with me. Gonna try it out tom and get back!

Cheers
Old 4th February 2010, 07:00   #41
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aZa View Post
Oye sanjay! Thats a killer idea, i have the same table top tripod lying with me. Gonna try it out tom and get back!
Cheers
In case your headrest hole is bigger than the tripod leg diameter, try wrapping up the tripod leg with plastic insulation tapes...the key here is to fit it as tight as possible. Also ensure the tighten the screws which hold the legs (towards the top) so that it remains fixed.

This setup enabled me to record my trip from CHN-KOL-CHN, though I recorded only CHN-VIZAG part.
Old 10th February 2010, 17:44   #42
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iTNerd View Post
...If you see the last part of the video, the camcorder seems to hold ...
Another option to combat some of the vibration is to extend the holder all the way across and also attach it to one leg of the headrest on the other side.

cya
R
Old 11th February 2011, 12:10   #43
Team-BHP Support

Re: In-car camera mounts - Attaching a camcorder to a car

A couple of unique mounts here :

Customer Testimonials

cya
R
Old 11th February 2011, 19:49   #44
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rehaan View Post
Another option to combat some of the vibration is to extend the holder all the way across and also attach it to one leg of the headrest on the other side.
I built something similar to the one in the video, but it works only on the highways & on the track - on regular city roads, there's simply too much vibration (depends on the roads on what suspension you're running). The next thing I tried was to extend it across to the headreast on the other side. However, a big problem with this approach is that it limits seat movement - you can't tilt a seat as you wish or even move it back & forth since the head-rests of both seats are essentially attached to each other by the camera mount. A design that works very well is to shorten the mount's leg so that the camera is close to (or even rests against) the headrest...
Old 24th March 2011, 10:02   #45
Senior - BHPian

Moved from Bad Drivers thread to here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronH4WK View Post
tthe HDD of my handycam had crashed; just got it replaced. will have it mounted on a tripod
Quote:
Originally Posted by amitoj View Post

Ironh4wk, mounting your HDD camera on a tripod may not work. HDD cameras don't take the vibrations well. You need flash based handycam for that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xryder View Post

I think there are quite a few HDD cameras that work well on mounted holders which are actually different from the regular tripods. The vibrations should be rather negligible because they are built to absorb that disturbance and distribute it without affecting the shot/video quality. What I am referring to is something like the one shown in the video and the eBay link.

Ironh4wk is definitely going to need these. With the cam on your hood, no BHPian shall be spared on Bangalore roads.

Pro2 car suction cups mount 4 video dv hdv DSLR camera | eBay
Whoa that is a neat 270 USDs! But i wonder how long it will stay on the hood before it gets stolen!

There are some really cool suggestions in this thread for mounting a camera. Check them out too.

Cheers
Amitoj

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks