Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 6th September 2007, 22:25   #1
BHPian

KnN or Green ?

Hi all ! Guyz, i am planning to get a stock replacement filter for my 2004 Xing next month. Initially, i knew only KnN's but i came across this Green Filters from pete's, which Busa and others highly recommend(i hope i am correct, sorry if am wrong !). So how do the two compare ? And whats the price of each for Xing ? Also, do these filters cause any harm to the engine in the long run(how long is long-run, btw?) because of low filtration ? Thnaks in advance !
Old 6th September 2007, 23:45   #2
Senior - BHPian

Vishesh - I have KnN in my Optra does the job quite well but the filtration charecteristic of Green is better.
Old 7th September 2007, 02:36   #3
Senior - BHPian

You could also consider Ractive. Reported to work just as well as K&N and is cheaper (almost half the price).
For the record, I have K&N fitted in my Santro and will be fitting Ractive in my other car (Lancer).

K&N price: approx 4k
Green: dunno
Add around 1k for an intake pipe.

I've run the K&N in my Santro since Oct '06 (> 10,000 kms) and have seen no problems. Will be cleaning the filter soon.

Last edited by razor4077 : 7th September 2007 at 02:42.
Old 7th September 2007, 10:40   #4
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Greencotten if you can source it and afford it.
Old 7th September 2007, 11:57   #5
BHPian

^^ isn't Peter aka Turboindia already doing Green Cotton Filters ?
Old 7th September 2007, 13:38   #6
BHPian

will u please explain!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Vishesh - I have KnN in my Optra does the job quite well but the filtration charecteristic of Green is better.
i didnt understand when u say 'filteration charecteristic of green is better'
do u find more fine dust in the intake tract when k&n is fitted than when green is fitted?
please explain as none of them explain the flow charact.at 1.5 to 2 hg of vacuum when any full throttle petrol engine will be instead of 10 inch of hg ..
and none of them go on record with the max permissible size<e.g. 5 microns 100%filteration> which can pass through the element when the filter is new.

Last edited by TURBOSAM : 7th September 2007 at 13:39.
Old 7th September 2007, 15:00   #7
Senior - BHPian

Is it worth going for a stock replacement filter at all ?

A K&N/Green for the Baleno costs around 3.5K + 1K for the cleaner. IIRC the OEM SGP filter costs around Rs.300. So I can probably get 15 OEM filters for the same price.

What if I change my OEM filter every 6 months (~6K kms for me) ? That way for the price of a K&N/Green I can buy a new filter every 6 months for the next 7 years !!

Question is - after 3 years, how effective will a 'cleaned' special filter be vis-a-vis a brand new OEM filter ?
Old 7th September 2007, 16:23   #8
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Is it worth going for a stock replacement filter at all ?

Yes...i believe it is going to be worth it, given that any cotton filter (K&N, Green etc.) will be a LOT more free breathing any paper filter (OEM) at ANY time...this is a fact.

IMHO it is precisely for this reason that people buy the stock replacement cotton filters....not only for the filteration efficiency.
Old 7th September 2007, 16:51   #9
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by TURBOSAM View Post
i didnt understand when u say 'filteration charecteristic of green is better'
do u find more fine dust in the intake tract when k&n is fitted than when green is fitted?
please explain as none of them explain the flow charact.at 1.5 to 2 hg of vacuum when any full throttle petrol engine will be instead of 10 inch of hg ..
and none of them go on record with the max permissible size<e.g. 5 microns 100%filteration> which can pass through the element when the filter is new.
No i am not saying by looking at the dust at the intake tract, but i read online(there was a thread dedicated to that) saying KnN has the least filteration efficency.
Old 7th September 2007, 17:46   #10
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mclaren1885 View Post
Greencotten if you can source it and afford it.
Yes green Cotton is very much available in India. For more info contach peter aka Turboindia here.
Old 7th September 2007, 17:56   #11
Senior - BHPian

can you upgrade to K&N/Ractive on a stock exhaust/Headers and the fit on the stock Plastic type intake pipe which i've seen in many cars???is it really worth..

Please Sorry if i jacked the thread
Old 7th September 2007, 18:02   #12
BANNED

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Busa, my friend. I am aware that Peter sells Green Cotton. Infact I was one of the first few in the country to get a demo of the Pod filters when they were sent to one of the dealers for testing before they officially launched them. What I meant was, availability in a place where Pete's might not have dealerships.
Old 7th September 2007, 19:51   #13
Senior - BHPian

Well Mclaren thats there but all that can be arranged IMHO.

Quote:
can you upgrade to K&N/Ractive on a stock exhaust/Headers and the fit on the stock Plastic type intake pipe which i've seen in many cars???is it really worth..
I didnot get your query.

If you mean to say can you upgrade to intake without modifying the Exhaust/header, the answer is yes and its worth it. Though with a exhaust its all the more worth.

Or if you mean upgrade to a Conical Filter with stock piping, that is also possible, about being worth its for you to judge
Old 7th September 2007, 20:31   #14
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUSA View Post
Or if you mean upgrade to a Conical Filter with stock piping, that is also possible, about being worth its for you to judge
This may not be possible in some cars. I have seen Balenos and Lancers where the stock intake hose was retained after fitting the conical filter. But physical constraints would prevent this in other cars.

I know this has been debated to death in other threads, but realistically speaking, how much of a difference is there between a K&N, Green, Pipercross and Ractive?
@mcl: when u recommend Green over K&N, is there a specific reason for it?
Old 7th September 2007, 21:09   #15
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
when u recommend Green over K&N, is there a specific reason for it?
I can say better filteration efficency then KnN

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks