Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2007, 14:34   #1
BHPian

Zen Power

Question? What is the difference in performance that a K&N make to a Maruti Zen?
Answer: If you ask me, LOTS... & to prove my point, I was able to catapult my Zen (with just a replacement K&N Filter) to 130 Km/H on the Mumbai-Ahmedabad Highway between Charoti & Vapi Junction for almost 5-6 Kms straight. So whets new in that?
That speed was achieved with 5 heavy adults, their luggage & of course with the AC running at Max Speed. I am quite sure no other car in its class can do the same.
I had done the same patch earlier with the original filter, but the car was out of breath at 120 itself...& there was no way it could have gone any faster...
Mom.. ...Will not do those kind of speeds ever again..Or at least till I dont get tubeless tyres & a nice set of alloys...

Last edited by GTO : 8th December 2007 at 15:14.
Old 11th September 2007, 16:19   #2

heya maverick1977..nice to hear your zen does a 130 kph.mine doesnt even go above 105 kph.lol. where did you get the replacement k&n filter from and for how much...??
Old 11th September 2007, 18:17   #3
Senior - BHPian

Well, I was able to hit 140(may be it have hit 145 also) with 5 adults + luggage.No K&N,just the stock filter and it was 1998 carburettor Zen. So I think that kind of speed is quite achievable with a Zen although things became lil' bit scary after that.And I believe the performance is directly proportional to the state of your engine and few other things .
Cheers,
Old 11th September 2007, 18:26   #4
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick1977 View Post
[COLOR=black]Question? What is the difference in performance that a K&N make to a Maruti Zen?[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]Answer: If you ask me, LOTS... & to prove my point, I was able to catapult my Zen (with just a replacement K&N Filter) to 130 Km/H on the Mumbai-Ahmedabad Highway between Charoti & Vapi Junction for almost 5-6 Kms straight. So whets new in that? [/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]That speed was achieved with 5 heavy adults, their luggage & of course with the AC running at Max Speed. I am quite sure no other car in its class can do the same.[/COLOR]
I had done the same patch earlier with the original filter, but the car was out of breath at 120 itself...& there was no way it could have gone any faster...
Mom.. ...Will not do those kind of speeds ever again..Or at least till I dont get tubeless tyres & a nice set of alloys...
@Maverick1977 - is the zen a carb one? and how old is it?
Old 11th September 2007, 19:03   #5
Senior - BHPian

Believe ...
My Zen 99 ( carb) used to touch 150+ kmph .. no modifications Just a stock car with 145/70/R13 tyre .
You can checkout my gallery pics for the same.
I have done it many a times on BMIC NICE road ( Bangalore).
Old 11th September 2007, 20:51   #6
BHPian

Mine did the whole "160" on the expressway with 4 adults and a good amount of luggage... but thats with the AC off. My zen has a K&N and a FFE. So I think 130 with the A/C on is good.
The passanger also managed to click a picture
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/members/dustdevil.html
Old 12th September 2007, 09:56   #7
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustDevil View Post
Mine did the whole "160" on the expressway with 4 adults and a good amount of luggage... but thats with the AC off. My zen has a K&N and a FFE. So I think 130 with the A/C on is good.
The passanger also managed to click a picture
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/members/dustdevil.html
Oh.. that's pretty fast..
Let us know about your tyre details

Last edited by sushrutha : 12th September 2007 at 09:58.
Old 12th September 2007, 10:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

My 2000 mpfi stocck zen still does 155kmph without A/C.
It has 165/65-13 tyres which means the speedo is under reading.
I'm not claiming the speedo error to be nil.
Old 12th September 2007, 18:17   #9
BHPian

[COLOR=black]Its a Nov 2005 model...The last of the true zen's from the Maruti stable...[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]I am quite confident that I could have pushed it further but restrained from doing so since the Mumbai Ahmedabad Highway is quite unpredictable & a pot hole could spring up just like that.[/COLOR]
[COLOR=black]dustDevil --> Even I would Luv to know what tyres you run on? Also does a FFE make a difference? When I got the K&N fitted I was strongly advised not to put money on a FFE. Also I know of 1 Car Mod guy in Mumbai who has imported something similar to a K&N, but supposed to be much more superior. Also claims to increase the mileage of the vehicle.[/COLOR]
Old 13th September 2007, 00:07   #10
BHPian

Quote:
Question? What is the difference in performance that a K&N make to a Maruti Zen?
Answer: If you ask me, LOTS... & to prove my point, I was able to catapult my Zen (with just a replacement K&N Filter) to 130 Km/H on the Mumbai-Ahmedabad Highway between Charoti & Vapi Junction for almost 5-6 Kms straight. So whets new in that?
That speed was achieved with 5 heavy adults, their luggage & of course with the AC running at Max Speed. I am quite sure no other car in its class can do the same.

Thats cool ,your zen has become a rocketship with KnN replacement filter !!
Looking forward to more exciting contributions from your side.

Last edited by chetanhanda : 13th September 2007 at 00:15.
Old 13th September 2007, 10:54   #11
Senior - BHPian

It depends on how the FFE has been designed as well as how you drive ur car with FFE ....
Old 13th September 2007, 13:19   #12
Senior - BHPian

Have maxed out the speedo couple of times on mine, it is a 98 Carb Zen
Old 20th September 2007, 18:14   #13
BHPian

Have any of U guys fitted alloys or tubeless tryes? If so which make? Do alloys make a significant difference in the overall performance of a vehicle or they just enchance the looks?
Old 20th September 2007, 19:02   #14
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Have any of U guys fitted alloys or tubeless tryes? If so which make? Do alloys make a significant difference in the overall performance of a vehicle or they just enchance the looks?
they wont make a big performance difference but they definitely add to the looks. they are lighter than steel wheels so they could increase your fe. also tubless tyres will help you alot. they are much better than tube ones. and if you get slightly wider than stock your handling and braking will also improve,
Old 20th September 2007, 23:24   #15
BHPian

Thanks for the reply! One more thing -- Is it possible to fit 13" rims with slightly wider tyres in place of 12" original fitment rims? If so what’s the effect on the steering. I don’t have Power Steering on my car, so don’t want to build my biceps just turning the steering wheel!

Most Viewed