Team-BHP - Just bought a 2nd hand optra 1.6.
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Just bought a 2nd hand optra 1.6. (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/28772-just-bought-2nd-hand-optra-1-6-a.html)

Hi

This is my first post out here and frankly I don't know much about cars. So, this is an excellent forum for me to learn.

I am buying a 2nd hand Chevrolet Optra 1.6 from a friend of mine. This is a 2004 absolute base model in a pretty decent condition and has clocked approx. 30,000 kms. I had a Fiat Palio 1.2 before this which I have just sold.

I test drove the car and found it to be quite good. Its spacious and comfortable. On the downside however, I noticed two things - one is that the ride was quite firm and bumps could be felt easily. Secondly, the engine noise intruded into the cabin with the windows rolled up. I have read that Optra is the quitest amongst cars. So why this engine noise? Is it due to the car already having clocked quite a few kilometers? Any thoughts on this and how to reduce the engine noise in the cabin (engine tuning etc)?

Also, I am planning to install a parking sensor in the rear and front. Any suggestions on this?

Your inputs are highly appreciated.

the first thing you should do is send it to a gm service centre and have it checked up. they should be able to help you with the ride and the noise.

about the parking sensors you should get 4 for the back and 2 for the front. look at companies like xenos. you could also get a reverse camera.

get ur car serviced from authorised GM service station and start using MOBIL 1 fully synthetic engine oil about the engine noise only servicing guys can help ya out...about the parking sensors check local market!!!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiragh_bir (Post 562816)
get ur car serviced from authorised GM service station and start using MOBIL 1

thats 4000 (800 per lit) for an oil change :), There are cheaper ones like Valvoline(440 per lit).

Quote:

thats 4000 (800 per lit) for an oil change :), There are cheaper ones like Valvoline(440 per lit).
MObil 1 is worth it, got my 4Liter can for 2500 5W50 so you need to find the right place.

And the car having poor ride and noise, some problem for sure.

Thanks guys, will get it checked out at the service center. The problem is not that great (my friend, who is an expert on cars), did not find anything wrong. My reading on these forums on how quite this car is and its great ride has made me paranoid, I guess.

BUSA, from where did you get the Mobil 1? Is it appropriate for the Optra? How does it compare to, say, Castrol Magnatec?

Quote:

Originally Posted by afg (Post 562948)
BUSA, from where did you get the Mobil 1? Is it appropriate for the Optra? How does it compare to, say, Castrol Magnatec?

I got it from City Motors Opera House yesterday, its API- SF, much better then Castrol Magnatec which is semi-synthetic or so i have heard. Optra has the best ride and very low engine noise due to TNRS so i was wondering how come you can hear noise. Get the car serviced.

How much FE are you getting, will indicate the status of the engine

Here is what i would advice you to do.

Change Brake Pads
Decarb Engine
Abro Flush(GM uses OWS, will also do) + Mobil1
Cleaning of Injectors
Change Fuel Filter & Oil Filter
Change Spark Plugs
Tell GM to check air resonance box(this may be loose causing the noise)
Check Tyre Wear
Interiors Cleaning from GM
Get a nice polish
Change to 15inchers with 195/205
Add Green with CAI preferably a dynamisation kit
FFE with 421 headers
Port Polish
& your ready to go. The last 5 are optional lol:

Just one more question. The car is coming today after which the registration process will start. Will the GM service center accept the car if it is not yet transferred to my name. Probably a stupid question, but I want to get the servicing done ASAP.

Quote:

Originally Posted by afg (Post 563579)
Just one more question. The car is coming today after which the registration process will start. Will the GM service center accept the car if it is not yet transferred to my name. Probably a stupid question, but I want to get the servicing done ASAP.

Buddy, you can ask as many questions as you wanna :)

Yes they will accept the car, dont worry.

Which service center you going to? Bharti, National Garage or Udit Motors?

The earlier owner used to service it at Fort Point, Mahalakshmi. Are they good? Which are the other good ones ( stay in South Mumbai).

How much does an engine decarb, brake pads and engine flust cost for the Optra? Are there any other niggling problems with it?

Thanks.

Quote:

Originally Posted by afg (Post 564734)
The earlier owner used to service it at Fort Point, Mahalakshmi. Are they good? Which are the other good ones ( stay in South Mumbai).

How much does an engine decarb, brake pads and engine flust cost for the Optra? Are there any other niggling problems with it?

Thanks.

Fortpoint is no more a GM service Center, try National Garage. Engine Flush costs 200, Brake Pads - 2000, and Decarb another 2000. No other niggling problems with the Optra, though if you dont service the car well the FE drops.

Thanks for all your help BUSA. Appreciate it. I will be servicing the car at National Garage, Mahalaxmi as Fort Point has closed down. The waiting period is long and I have got an appointed for October 10th.

Regards.