Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Swap: Vtec engine into OHC Type I (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/29380-swap-vtec-engine-into-ohc-type-i.html)

crazydiablo 27th September 2007 18:03

Swap: Vtec engine into OHC Type I

Friend has a OHC 99 1.5 model run more than a lakh kms. We came to know about a crashed VTEC which may be up for sale as parts.

Here goes the questions:

1. Are the engine mounts the same for indian VTEC and OHC type 1 1.5?

2. What all should be included with the engine?

I am thinking,

complete engine, gearbox, driveshaft, ecu and wiring harness.

What should we look for in the engine?

mclaren1885 27th September 2007 19:30

Check if the compression of all the cylinders is right. That in itself should tell a lot of stories.

crazydiablo 27th September 2007 20:28

What is the price for a VTEC engine? any ball park figs?

mclaren1885 27th September 2007 20:31

Anywhere between 80k-1.1L I guess.

doomsday 27th September 2007 20:57

Quote:

Originally Posted by crazydiablo (Post 577697)

What should we look for in the engine?

As mcl suggested, checking the compression will tell you a lot about the engine. If the car has been enthusiatically driven for a long time and not maintained well, you might be looking at an engine rebuild. Remember, Honda parts are hard to source (from showrooms within India) and it might be take a painfully long amount to time. (unless one plans to do the engine in the Honda Authorised SS.

A friend of mine had bought a pre-owned VTEC which was a doctor owned vehicle and looked in pristine condition and had done only 48k kms. Some 10k odd kms later, when had to rip apart the block and found that pistons and the rings were fried. The next thing- we were unable to source the pistons from Honda showroom here. It took close to 2 months to put the engine back together.

However,since you mentioned that the car is accidental so it might not be in cranking condition. So you can start with the basic things, like checking the engine oil and the coolant reservoir etc. It'll give a fair idea of how the car has been maintained.

mclaren1885 27th September 2007 21:01

Getting parts for the Honda's is not such a big issue. One does not even have to approach the showroom guys ;) . Such is the activity going around in the tuning circle.

v1p3r 27th September 2007 21:01

Quote:

Originally Posted by doomsday (Post 577884)
A friend of mine had bought a pre-owned VTEC which was a doctor owned vehicle and looked in pristine condition and had done only 48k kms. Some 10k odd kms later, when had to rip apart the block and found that pistons and the rings were fried. The next thing- we were unable to source the pistons from Honda showroom here. It took close to 2 months to put the engine back together.

What was the colour?

V-16 28th September 2007 00:13

Quote:

Friend has a OHC 99 1.5 model run more than a lakh kms. We came to know about a crashed VTEC which may be up for sale as parts.

Here goes the questions:

1. Are the engine mounts the same for indian VTEC and OHC type 1 1.5?

Nope they are not.

Quote:

2. What all should be included with the engine?

I am thinking,

complete engine, gearbox, driveshaft, ecu and wiring harness.

You got almost all covered.
Brakes (very imp) and the Speedo too. The suspension differs too in more ways than one.