Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories

Search this Thread
Old 9th October 2007, 16:42   #1
Distinguished - BHPian

OEM vs After market leather

I searched the forum but doesn't look like this specific topic has been addressed.

Which one would you go for? Keep in mind that dealer packages are not OEM. Assuming the same price of course. Do car manufacturers use cheap quality leather? Compared to say Stanley?

Which cars got OEM leather trim comparable or better than say Stanley nappa?

Is after market leather an option if your seats got side air bags,etc features?
Old 9th October 2007, 17:36   #2
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Nice thread! I guess you are talking about C and some C+ segment sedans, since they are the only ones to offer optional leathers. Almost all cars above 13 - 14 lakhs have leather seats as standard.

It would really depend from manufacturer to manufacturer. For instance, I found the SX4 leather seats to be darn hard and would prefer softer after-market anyday. Are you looking at any particular car? That would make it easier.
Old 9th October 2007, 17:54   #3
Senior - BHPian

Honda Civic V model has good leather in it. It is Nappa leather. However I would choose the non leather option each time as you can customize the leather seat & trim to one's own taste.

However I think that non contact areas in the Civic might have pseudo leather or lower quality leather (I'm not sure here but remember reading a post about this when the V model was to be launched)
Old 9th October 2007, 18:01   #4
Distinguished - BHPian

@GTO

Not any particular car. I was just curious. For most of the things, OEM stuff seems to be superior to the after market stuff (for the given price). This leather trim seems to be an exception.

In my Laura the trim looks classy but it is a bit hard and also I think back of the seats is not real leather. I could be wrong. Or this is recommended because of the heated seats feature. OTOH, my friend's corolla has super soft after market Stanley, but doesn't look as good as mine (HEHE)

I read somewhere that only the expensive european makers (Merc, BMW, Audi, etc.) use good quality leather and the rest use cheap stuff. How true is it?
Old 9th October 2007, 18:06   #5
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
For most of the things, OEM stuff seems to be superior to the after market stuff (for the given price). This leather trim seems to be an exception.
So true. The leather in my C220 is also damn hard. But then, its also very durable....38000 kms and no sign of wear. That could be a factor in manufacturers choosing this range of skins?
Old 9th October 2007, 18:16   #6
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
So true. The leather in my C220 is also damn hard. But then, its also very durable....38000 kms and no sign of wear. That could be a factor in manufacturers choosing this range of skins?
I am hoping there is a good reason for the OEM leather to be hard. One thing I noticed is OEM leather "plays" well with the temperature changes. My friend's corolla's stanley leather is very cold in winter/AC and very hot if parked in the sun. Mine is a bit moderate.

But, I felt the Accord OEM leather was super soft. So what gives?
Old 9th October 2007, 22:13   #7
BHPian

Am lookin for Palio Stile 1.6. How much wud it cost me to get one from Stanely?
Old 10th October 2007, 00:56   #8
Distinguished - BHPian

The leather in my 6th generation is top notch... The car is more than 4 years old now and the leather looks and feel news. Its soft,smooth and stiff at the sametime.. a perfect blend imo and one of the best quality leather i have seen in any indian car till date.
On the other hand the 7th generation current accord leather is crap in comparision including the new CRV, within months of regular usage the leather gets dirty and stained very easily.

I havent seen too many after market leather seats, most of them are seat covers and eventually get loose. I would rather pay the extra $$ and get it factory fitted.
Old 10th October 2007, 01:12   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by androdev View Post
@GTO
I read somewhere that only the expensive european makers (Merc, BMW, Audi, etc.) use good quality leather and the rest use cheap stuff. How true is it?
Its very subjective coz the leather used in European cars is definately of better quality in comparision to American or Japanese manufacturer but its nowhere close to that found in british brands like RR, Aston Martin or Bentely..
Comming back to the German makers for me interiors and build quality of Audi is far better then Merc or BMW.(Though I have never owned a BMW)
Old 10th October 2007, 11:32   #10
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Comming back to the German makers for me interiors and build quality of Audi is far better then Merc or BMW.(Though I have never owned a BMW)
Agreed. Recently checked out an A8 and man....I was completely floored by the level of fit and finish. Believe it or not, it was far better than the S-Class. Audi's interior quality is in a class of its own.
Old 11th October 2007, 01:10   #11

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
It would really depend from manufacturer to manufacturer. For instance, I found the SX4 leather seats to be darn hard and would prefer softer after-market anyday..
but i presume its not the leather but the seat foam thats hard.how much difference would 3mm of leather make??

Same goes for octavia,it has firm seats,so the material covering it(leather) would also be hard.
the leather is hard to sit on but not to touch,it will still be smooth.
so i guess its the quality of the foam that matters rather than the quality of leather.
somehow,i never liked the idea of real leather.firs for environmental reasons obviously and the second is that you tend to slide around in the seat when cornering or braking since the leather is soft and provides less friction.

Last edited by hellspawn : 11th October 2007 at 01:11.
Old 11th October 2007, 14:08   #12
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

but i presume its not the leather but the seat foam thats hard.how much difference would 3mm of leather make??
Ah, good point. Probably is the foam then.
Old 11th October 2007, 14:11   #13
BHPian

I need wrap around leather steering cover (like the ones were there in Esteem and Zen) for my Aveo.

Any idea where can i get these in Delhi and wat would b the price ?

Cheerers!!
Old 10th November 2007, 10:16   #14
BANNED

Consider this

Civic V MT with leather seats + fog lamp + etc : 13,08,420
Civic S MT : 12,31,469

Now add good leather to Civic S for 40k
Now add fog lamp to Civic S for 15,577

Total : 55,557

You still save 21k. Is that not a big amount ?

What I am not sure is how well after-market leather fitting fit well.
Old 10th November 2007, 10:40   #15
BHPian

leather

Which cars got OEM leather trim comparable or better than say Stanley nappa?

Is after market leather an option if your seats got side air bags,etc features?[/quote]

Stanley nappa is top notch - probably find equal only in the top segment of cars like the 7 series bm, s class jag xj etc. most oe leather is leather only in body contact areas and the rest being pu. stanley can handle seats with safety equipment - they do work on all kinds of cars like porsches, mercedes , bmw and more at their place in bangalore

Most Viewed