Team-BHP - Need a DC Power cord
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   Need a DC Power cord (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/29822-need-dc-power-cord.html)

Hi,
I have a Jump starter/inverter/inflator combo which is missing the DC power cord(it was optional and I forgot to buy it).
Is there any place in Delhi where I can get a good quality one made.
Its actually very simple to make myself, but I will have to buy two cheapest card 12V DC powered devices, cut the wires and connect them together to get it

The problem is that it should handle 15A without burning out, and thats quite a bit of current for cheap cell phone chargers.
So the best bet would be to get one custom made with to heavy duty male connectors.
Any suggestions folks?

its a DIY bro, just go ahead and use two connectors and check for the wire load rating to be more than 15 Amps and youre done..

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitroxx (Post 589690)
its a DIY bro, just go ahead and use two connectors and check for the wire load rating to be more than 15 Amps and youre done..

Yes DIY
I can get a 15amp wire, no sweat. Infact I plan to put in a diode and make it one way.
But one tiny problem, the things which go into the power socket are mostly 5A.
Where will I get a 15A(sustained) male car socket plug?

My first try was to cut open the phone charger.
Sure I can jugaad a 15A fuse instead of the 5A one, but the problem is that the inside will burn(small wires).

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsk1979 (Post 589933)
Yes DIY
I can get a 15amp wire, no sweat. Infact I plan to put in a diode and make it one way.
But one tiny problem, the things which go into the power socket are mostly 5A.
Where will I get a 15A(sustained) male car socket plug?

My first try was to cut open the phone charger.
Sure I can jugaad a 15A fuse instead of the 5A one, but the problem is that the inside will burn(small wires).

The internal wire of the car cannot take not more than 5A load. I would suggest to get a good quality socket from the market take thick wire from the battery put a relay and to switch on the relay use the power of the earlier cigarette lighter wire.

Mine is after market. It was put on a 10A harness.
BTW how about this.
I get a male car plug connector rated for 15A, connect it to battery permanently(end connection open, so its okay, and if it shorts you have fuse.
that way I can directly connect the male into the inflator(which will draw around 7-8A max).

Ok guys need your help here.
I checked out the market.
If I want to go DIY I need to buy 2 phone chargers and cut off the phone side. But one major problem, they are 3-5 Volts. I need to find a device which plugs into the lighter socket and runs on 12V.
Could not find any such device.
I need to buy two such things and then cut off the wires.
Any tips?

I am told that some shops sell electronic inflators which plug into lighter socket. They use DC-DC power chord, right? Can a cord be had separately. Any help appreciated!

what has dc volt rating got to do with the connectors? my understanding is you need good connectors (ciggie lighter attachment) which you will join with good quality wires, try looking for some car emergency lights or similar accessories with ciggie light attachment and use it (solder the wires at the terminal ends itself (inside).

My God. Such a lamba method. Crazy man, lol.

MX makes and sells cigarette lighter males pins. You can buy it at any MX distributor shop - in delhi try Lajpat something near Bhagirath something. You dont need to cut anything. These are openable and you will be able to soder a 12-16 gauge wire into it.

I have made a wonderful 12V emergency light using this pin. And it will handle an air pump easy.

The other option is to use it on one side and connect the other to the battery, but that is overkill.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaggu (Post 597415)
what has dc volt rating got to do with the connectors? my understanding is you need good connectors (ciggie lighter attachment) which you will join with good quality wires, try looking for some car emergency lights or similar accessories with ciggie light attachment and use it (solder the wires at the terminal ends itself (inside).

by having low DC volt rating the output voltage won't be 12V which tsk is looking for. Also as this charger cable is meant for charging mobile it won't be able to withstand higher current passing through them.

Tsk how about this, why don't you try to use Laptop charger thread.
Or if you are in really hardcore DIY guy, then open that mobile charger. Change resistances to get output of 12V and then put it back up with higher current carrying cables. :Cheering:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Kapasi (Post 597423)
My God. Such a lamba method. Crazy man, lol.

MX makes and sells cigarette lighter males pins. You can buy it at any MX distributor shop - in delhi try Lajpat something near Bhagirath something. You dont need to cut anything. These are openable and you will be able to soder a 12-16 gauge wire into it.

I have made a wonderful 12V emergency light using this pin. And it will handle an air pump easy.

The other option is to use it on one side and connect the other to the battery, but that is overkill.

Wow thank you.
I will check out lajpat nagar for Make lighter pins. Exactly what I need!

its not in lajpat nagar. Its in Lajpatrai Market. The shop is Soni Electronics. 199 or 99 Lajpatrai Market.

EDIT:
Googled for SONI Electronics:
[SIZE=-1]SONI ELECTRONICS, 292, Lajpatrai Market, Chandni Chowk,, Delhi - 110 006

They are authorised dealers for MX in Delhi :-)
[/SIZE]

Can I get MX audio stuff in noida? chandni chowk is tooooo far

Quote:

Originally Posted by adya33 (Post 597428)
by having low DC volt rating the output voltage won't be 12V which tsk is looking for. Also as this charger cable is meant for charging mobile it won't be able to withstand higher current passing through them.

adya am talking about just the plug, read as, NO wire and NO step down circuit. the ciggie lighter plug will not change volt rating :confused:

Since MX has stuff just procure that and do some soldering and wiring, to make it more quirky :D fix the lighter attachment (female) at convenient location (boot) with high grade wiring from batt and a switch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaggu (Post 599113)
adya am talking about just the plug, read as, NO wire and NO step down circuit. the ciggie lighter plug will not change volt rating :confused:

Since MX has stuff just procure that and do some soldering and wiring, to make it more quirky :D fix the lighter attachment (female) at convenient location (boot) with high grade wiring from batt and a switch.

I was earlier planning to cut a cell phone charger, but that changes the voltage to 3 or 5 V depending upon the model.
Therefore I was looking for a plug which does not alter voltage. MX has the stuff. The next question is where to find a dealer in noida.