Team-BHP - VFM Modifications / Accessories
Team-BHP

Team-BHP (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/)
-   Modifications & Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/)
-   -   VFM Modifications / Accessories (https://www.team-bhp.com/forum/modifications-accessories/30137-vfm-modifications-accessories.html)

For better or for worse, Team-BHP has a lot of threads that have got to do with super expensive alloys, or 1 Lakh Rupee ICE systems etc. etc. I wanted to start this thread to find out whether there are any Value-For-Money (/inexpensive) modifications or accessories for my new Zen Estilo (or really any car). To explain VFM for the purposes of this thread, let me use this example:
I got a Playstation 2 a couple of years back. Looking around for VFM accessories, I found a $20 component cable. Using this cable, I was able to improve the picture tremendously (colours were a lot brighter, deeper). Compare this to buying a 2 Lakh+ LCD TV to improve the picture, and you get what I mean by VFM. (btw my TV is a normal flat-screen TV, not LCD, but it has a component port).

So basically are there any inexpensive products out there that you would recommend that would help any of the following? (e.g. air filters?):To put it in a nutshell: What inexpensive ways are there to improve my car?

Similar topic thread.....

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/buying...r-new-car.html

^ similarish, but not the same. I'm talking about VFM inexpensive accessories and modifications, whereas that thread only talks about must have accessories.

No replies? I would really appreciate some input!

Get a stock replacement air filter which will improve your mileage and the performance to a slight extent....
switch to wider tyres which will improve handling and alloys which will also improve your aesthetics

even with a OHC VTEC, i go on VFM mode most of the time

- K&N panel filter - forget the argument on the brand, but i must say it increased driveability in mumbai traffic to dozen times better than stock with better AC performance.

- strut braces - i got one for the front, but did not fit it in permanently. will do so after changing my suspension.

- did a suspension bush kit change - VFM until i can get some money to buy a pedder or the like ;)

- fabricating one for the back too. this costs pittance and with the right material chosen can do wonders if you are used to slalom driving

- always use mobil 1 for the engine (again no arguments), it is my opinion

- will be changing the spark plug wiring to a VFM one soon.

- 100/90 Philips headlamps - real real VFM

- my frugal, thrifty ICE - top brands and classic performers with special abilities - all in 2nd hand - real VFM as far as i'm concerned. i strongly that believe the gold marantz is for homes

what else???
there may be some fuming about me treating a OHC VTEC without the extra heart pumps and FIs. but suits my life. hence VFM.

I will recoomend something really small & inexpensive which I have got in my Alto. Its wide angle Convex RVM which mounts on the original center one. This might not be good for those who have day\night RVMs but this one has helped me a lot in my daily bumper to bumper drive. Costs anything betwenn 150 to 500 bucks depending on brand.

@gbpscars: What is the price of K&n panel filters? (and what is the price of the recharge kit, and how often do you have to recharge?)

@technocrat - I don't understand what you mean. Could you post a picture please?

Dont know if its available for Estilo yet...but try to get a set of Door Visors...it really helps keep rain water and dust away (also a litle bit of direct sunrays away!) - Worth it if you get a good quality one like Carryboy / etc.

Oh, and also get a set of door guards, it really saves you from the minor dents & scratches!

@gopz- But i guess these visors are made of plastic, so i might break soon, right?

Quote:

Originally Posted by vebmetal (Post 600629)
@gbpscars: What is the price of K&n panel filters? (and what is the price of the recharge kit, and how often do you have to recharge?)?

Got this stock replacement panel filter for slightly less than Rs. 3500 (cant get the exact bill price in my head rightaway). this was straight from Methods. I havent got the recharge kit yet.

Quote:

Originally Posted by vebmetal (Post 600629)
@technocrat - I don't understand what you mean. Could you post a picture please?

What he means is the wide angle RVM that can be mounted (or clipped) over the OEM IRVM (IRVM: In-cabin Rear-View Mirror)

Helps a lot in tight traffic in the monsoons when the side glasses tend to fog. Got one on mine too. Changed my driving abilities via Ghatkopar at 7 pm a lot especially during the monsoon season.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aditya.86 (Post 599719)
Get a stock replacement air filter which will improve your mileage and the performance to a slight extent....
switch to wider tyres which will improve handling and alloys which will also improve your aesthetics

So what brand of air filter should be used? How much does it cost?

Is there any data about these filters?

I am always a little skeptical of stuff which increases both your mileage
& performance at a small cost - if this could be done, why wouldn't the car come with these contraptions?

Quote:

Originally Posted by carboy (Post 601905)
I am always a little skeptical of stuff which increases both your mileage
& performance at a small cost - if this could be done, why wouldn't the car come with these contraptions?

VFM is again a perspective.
as you say,... something that gives mileage and performance together is more like a teleshopping channels' advertisement only. not much of reality.

The K&N stock on my drive, has reduced my city mileage and increased my highway mileage clearly. but what i'm enjoying is the driveability in stop-go-traffic and ability to use 3rd gear with a wide speed range (as low as 25kmph and as high as 85 kmph) without the learner-like jerks by the car

I hope you know how much that helps with lesser gear shifts.