Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th October 2007, 21:06   #1

Zen Engine overhauling

HI Friends, I own a Zen 2000 MPFI which has done 91000kms till date. I was driving to the airport to leave for delhi one night in bangalore, due to heavy rains one of the roads was filled with at least 2 feet of drain water for a streatch of 200meters as there were no other alternative routes I decided to cross it , with the 1st gear engaged and engine reving hard by clutch slipping I some how managed to cross it ...of course there were anxious moments in the middle of the strech where i felt that the engine might just giveup but it did not and it drove pretty well that night Once I came back after two weeks, there was a disturbing friction sound from the engine ( as though two metal disks were rubbing against each other )and the idiling was pretty high I would say 2000RPM!! I got it checked from a MOS near my place, they did an engine tune up, changed the engine oil which brought back the High Ideling to much lower but for the sound they say that the engine needs to be opened up and decarbed and the costs would be around 3 to 4K well I dont really see the connection here....need to know if there are any good mechanics in bangalore who work on Zen engines in Blore who is reliable? any thoughts on this one?
enigmatictech is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th October 2007, 08:43   #2
BHPian

Who checked the Engine, was it a MASS? Can you post the details here please?
Old 17th October 2007, 09:58   #3
BANNED

91000kms is a good age to do an overhauling.

But, more details needed before an advice.
Old 17th October 2007, 10:15   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mithun View Post
91000kms is a good age to do an overhauling.

But, more details needed before an advice.
mithun,
91000 is NOT a good age to overhaul a zen's engine..
they are known to soldier on for 175000 kms with
average care before needing major surgery...
and with a little TLC, a lot more....
Old 18th October 2007, 01:08   #5

Infractions: 0/1 (10)

my zen has clocked 86k kms and is still in good running condition.i suggest you get a second opinion from another m.a.s.s.
Old 18th October 2007, 12:28   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

It really depends on how the car has been maintained. If it was serviced as per the recommended schedule (including oil changes), then yes....the engine should be healthy enough for 1.5 lakh kms.

But it really is not uncommon for a Zen to require an overhaul around a lac if the upkeep hasnt been that regular.
Old 18th October 2007, 12:37   #7
Distinguished - BHPian

Any thoughts on leaving it at a Maruti authorized service center - preferably the sales-service types of RNS or Mandovi ?
Old 18th October 2007, 15:49   #8
Senior - BHPian

First check compression in a knowledgeable garage.
Then,decide on how to go about it.
Old 19th October 2007, 15:41   #9

thanks for the replies guys...here's the update
...i showed it to surakshaa MASS in hosur road they said the alternator bearings are gone due to water entering due to which the sound is loud plus the would also check the fan belts they also recommended a engine flush for decarbing the engine as he said there is a lot of sludge in the engine..I will get it done next week. hopefully after this i get back my ever smooth Zen Engine performance!!!
Old 30th January 2010, 02:03   #10
BHPian

Hey guys bumping this thread as i need some info please. I have a 98 carb zen that done 1,30,000 kms. Within the last few years the performance has gone down significantly and its nowhere as close to what it used to be. The engine also sounds a lot rougher. So i guess the engine is in need of an overhaul?

I checked at a local MASS( Fast Cars, Bangalore) and they quoted a price of 50k :O
Now i really have no idea of what exactly happens in an overhaul and how much it costs. What are your opinions? And which would be a good place to get it checked? Thanks in advance
Old 30th January 2010, 16:15   #11
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Radiokidb, first run a compression test and check numbers on all cylinders. Then, take it forward. Your authorised service station will perform this test for you.
Old 1st February 2010, 10:03   #12
Senior - BHPian

Sounds like you slipped the clutch a bit too much, can you get the clutch checked before you go after the engine.
Old 1st February 2010, 10:10   #13
Senior - BHPian

I gave my car to MASS this morning. The guy recognised the car and said "This car belongs to (my wife's name) " Then he said he would be doing an engine flush as it has crossed 50 k kms. I said no thanks, it was done already at 40K kms.

What I intend to say is a flush and de-carb at regular intervals is good for the engine rather than at 1L kms or above. On some other thread I read 20K kms is good interval.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks