Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 27th October 2007, 13:20   #1
BHPian

hyundai accent crdi engine failure.

Hi,

i have a 2003 accent crdi. it has done 80k kms. yesterday night, when i was on my way to some place on the highway, the engine suddenly lost power and after a 100-200 meters the engine stopped working.

there were no indications of over heating, no engine malfunction indication. then when i switched the key to the ignition again, the temp was maxed. i didn't crank the engine. there was smoke coming out of the engine when i opened the engine cap(where you fill engine oil). fortunately, this happened bang opposite a hyundai A.S.S.

They are saying, the engine needs an over haul and it will cost me 50k for the repairs. so please suggest how i go about it. should i get it done from the A.S.S. or from some other workshop? 50k is a bit too steep i think.

they will confirm again in a while after checking the engine properly. could this happen because of timing belt failure? it was due for a replacement. maybe the engine is ok.

one more thing. when i tried to start the engine again, it was like stuck. then after a few min. the self starter was like engaging and disengaging. i dont know how to explain this. i hope im clear.

please advise what to do.

thanks
clip.

p.s. - i searched but i didnt find anything related to this. if there is any thread, please do the needful.
Old 27th October 2007, 15:29   #2
BHPian

Head gone is what my gut feeling says. Happened to my Maruti too. Head leaked taking out the gasket and thus mixing the coolant and engine oil leading to engine overheat.

Take it to local mechanic and have him find head from an accidented car.

Do whatever jugaad possible to get it on road and then just sell it. Korean crap is never ever worth it.
Old 27th October 2007, 15:45   #3
Senior - BHPian

Yaar what is with Hyundai now days. One of my uncles Verna clutch plates, bearings and pressure plates conked off in less than 10000k KM.

Is the car under warranty ?
Old 27th October 2007, 15:46   #4
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarySkulls View Post
Head gone is what my gut feeling says. Happened to my Maruti too. Head leaked taking out the gasket and thus mixing the coolant and engine oil leading to engine overheat.

Take it to local mechanic and have him find head from an accidented car.

Do whatever jugaad possible to get it on road and then just sell it. Korean crap is never ever worth it.
no jugaads bro. and im not going to sell it yet. not for another 2 years.

the A.S.S. has confirmed, it needs an overhaul. no jugaad can work. they are quoting around 50k which i think i have to shell out now.

i asked some local guys and they said, it can be done but the parts would be whats available in the market. so its not a good idea to save 10-15k and get substandard parts. im getting it done from hyundai guys only.

and i love my car and im not gonna sell it. :-)

it will take around 10-12 days(till then i might shift my ICE in my fiesta lol. oh i shouldn't discuss ice here sorry.)
Old 27th October 2007, 15:59   #5
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Is the car under warranty ?
I do not think so since car is 4 year old and 80K on OD. Otherwise he must have not talked about repair cost.

Last edited by vivek_pinkoo : 27th October 2007 at 16:16.
Old 27th October 2007, 16:33   #6
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

one more thing. when i tried to start the engine again, it was like stuck. then after a few min. the self starter was like engaging and disengaging. i dont know how to explain this. i hope im clear.
Sounds like an engine seize. How many kms up? A rebuild looks almost certain.
Old 27th October 2007, 17:42   #7
rks
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
Hi,

i have a 2003 accent crdi. it has done 80k kms. yesterday night, when i was on my way to some place on the highway, the engine suddenly lost power and after a 100-200 meters the engine stopped working.
Just out of curiosity, were any modifications done on the car to increase performance?

Some other possible reasons for premature engine failure could be bad fuel, bad engine oil, or extreme driving (frequent redlining, lengthy idling with AC on, etc.). Or else you got a defective engine.

I think adulterated fuel is a major menace in our country, and, if I am not mistaken, diesel is more likely to be adulterated. I can tell you with 100% certainty that normal petrol and even Speed from many of the bunks that I used to fill in are adulterated. Now I have taken the problem so seriously that I only fill Speed 97 from a specific company operated pump on the Expressway (near Pune side toll gate) and I find a noticeable increase in pickup, smoothness and mileage.
Old 27th October 2007, 18:23   #8
Senior - BHPian

All this because U didn't replace the timing belt in time.
Im speechless.
Old 27th October 2007, 18:43   #9
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
All this because U didn't replace the timing belt in time.
Im speechless.

How to know whether its time to replace timing belt ? my 2001 fiat siena 1.6 with 29K on ODO A.S.S. told me to replace timing belt & local mechanic says its fine no need.

any wearing signs ? do help
Old 27th October 2007, 19:03   #10
BHPian

it may be a BACK COMPRESSION problem... same thing happend with my friends accent viva crdi done 83K..
Old 27th October 2007, 19:04   #11
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferro
How to know whether its time to replace timing belt ? my 2001 fiat siena 1.6 with 29K on ODO A.S.S. told me to replace timing belt & local mechanic says its fine no need.

any wearing signs ?
U just follow the mileage instructions in the owner's manual.
And sometimes,its better to change earlier due to our indian conditions.After all, its gonna cost a few hundred(sometimes a thousand) rupees and that will save U a small fortune.
Old 27th October 2007, 19:27   #12
Distinguished - BHPian

Good feedback This means that the Accent CRDi isn't as reliable as it was made out to be. Thanks.

If it was belt (can be) then that's the weakest link in any diesel engine and a source of constant anxiety.

WOULD ALL OF YOU PREFER A CHAIN TO A BELT ? NO HASSLES THERE ?

Think about it. I am trying to tell you all something.

Best regards,

Behram Dhabhar
DHABHAR.BEHRAM is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th October 2007, 19:43   #13
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrous View Post
U just follow the mileage instructions in the owner's manual.
And sometimes,its better to change earlier due to our indian conditions.After all, its gonna cost a few hundred(sometimes a thousand) rupees and that will save U a small fortune.

so the A.S.S. is right anyways Thanks
Old 27th October 2007, 20:10   #14
Senior - BHPian

T-BHPian headers was talking of a fuel pump failure in the Accent CRDI around this mark. Could that be the reason ?
Old 27th October 2007, 21:15   #15
BHPian

Engine overhaul in your case could have resulted from the following

1) Timing belt going kaput: In this case you would hear a nose ( maybe a loud noise) of the pistons whacking the valves and you would end up with bent valves / broken pistons / conrods/ a damaged cylinder head etc

2) Over heating and seizure- Could be due to many reasons.Major ones could be
a) Blown gasket
b) Sudden oil loss- I have heard of one accent which hit a bump,leaked oil which the owner didnt observe and it siezed

In the first case, I dont think you would have a maxed out temperature gauge and a smoking engine. Hence I guess it would be the later in your case. Nevertheless, I guess 50K is ok for a modern diesel rebuild.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks