Team-BHP > Modifications & Accessories
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th October 2007, 01:58   #16
Senior - BHPian

i thought i will keep my car ACCENT VIVA CRDi till the engine gives way, as many claim its life to be more than 150000kms at least!

but after hearing problems like this i having second thoughts, is there is a way to avoid such mishap by proper and periodic maintainence?

i fear this would happen to my car because i subjected it to extreme driving for some 10000kms and i had to change my brake pads at 13000kms mark after that i drove it nice and fine and occasionally red-lined it on the highways.

off topic: its now crossed 30000kms marks, its Jan 2006 model bought in Jan 2006 and my warranty is due to expire this Jan 2008. The extended warranty costs 7500+ bucks a year after that.(i was not offered a extended warranty at the time of purchase!) is it worth it?

Last edited by rider60 : 28th October 2007 at 02:04.
Old 28th October 2007, 14:27   #17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
no jugaads bro. and im not going to sell it yet. not for another 2 years.
Clip I'm sorry to say this, this is a well deserved lesson for all your obstinacy.

I have told you time and again to sell the damn korean thing off and get something worthwhile. If memory serves me well, you have 50k+ into repairs in this car ALREADY. And it gives you less FE now especially after 80k mark.
And now this repair bill. Means effectively that you would have spent 1LAC+ in repairs on the car in less than 3 years time(of you owning it).
And you want to keep it for another two years. So that means YET MORE repair bills. I saw how your brand new tyres are reduced to what current state. Sign of yet more things to come...??

I feel terrible seeing all this man. Really. I feel for you, my dear friend.
A used Honda City petrol or Baleno would have made SO MUCH MORE sense. Both pleasure to drive wise and realibility and long term maintainence wise.

Chalo damage done now. Drive it like this for a few years and sell it when you have spent some 50k more on it.

Honestly. Every sane person has told me keep away from Koreans and Chinese. I can see why.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhibh View Post
Yaar what is with Hyundai now days. One of my uncles Verna clutch plates, bearings and pressure plates conked off in less than 10000k KM.

Is the car under warranty ?
Yes. Hyundai name is down these days because more and more people who have their Hyundai's since long now have cars close to 80k-100k kms and now experiencing terrible difficulties. Even my cousin faces atrocious repair bills year after year in his petrol accent that is now 1LAC+ kms run.
Only a matter of time before people have their Verna's too near those many kilometers and start to enjoy the real benefits.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
Just out of curiosity, were any modifications done on the car to increase performance?
Nope. Bone stock car with the exception of aftermarket rims. That's it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rks View Post
Some other possible reasons for premature engine failure could be bad fuel, bad engine oil, or extreme driving (frequent redlining, lengthy idling with AC on, etc.). Or else you got a defective engine.
Cant comment on lenghty idling thing, but other than that, he's a very safe and sane driver who takes good care of all his cars.

Last edited by ScarySkulls : 28th October 2007 at 14:35.
Old 28th October 2007, 14:48   #18
Senior - BHPian

I have seen 1 lakh plus kms crdis running like new. Mine itself had crossed 86000kms and news is its still running good. Timely maintenence is the key. If I remember correctly, the timing belt has to be changed at 80000kms. Was that done?

Drifter
Old 28th October 2007, 15:52   #19
BHPian

Lucky you and lucky your friends.
I AM AMAZED at your post.
Old 28th October 2007, 17:16   #20
BHPian

was there any trace of oil in radiator??
Old 28th October 2007, 18:35   #21
BHPian

thanks man(ss). yes , i've spent alot on the korean crap, but its ok. if there is another break down while driving, ill definitely sell it. the hyundai guys are giving me a warranty of around 80-100k kms on the engine. and the repair is going to cost a little more than 50k. it could go up to 60-65k because of a faulty water body bearing and timing belt tensioner.

drifter,

yes, the timing belt replacement was due at 80k. i was gonna get it replace d as it has just clocked 80k. the belt is still ok. the engine seized because of over heating.

and touch wood for your car. i was talking to some one at the tyre dealer about my car still running like new at 80k and there is no such issues(premature engine failure) with Hyundai's crdi engines. and that night the engine went kaput. an engine failure at 80k beats tata engines. i remember my sierra and estate engines needing major repair at 100k.

now i think my problems will go away. i should get good fe now.

cheers
clip
Old 28th October 2007, 20:49   #22
Senior - BHPian

Clipto, Have U diagnosed the cause of engine overheating?
Are any radiator hoses busted?
Don't U watch ur temp. gague regularly while driving?

Once my Ikon's temperature increased sharply almost nearing redline and the radiator fan was running at the higher speed continuously. Luckily, it was when I was driving back home and was a minute away and as soon as I parked it, I opened the hood and checked coolant level. It was empty. I checked around and found my radiator hose busted.
I've saved my jeep's engine once similarly.
I could save my engine only because I regularly kept a check on my temp. gauge.
And as car lovers, thats the least we could do for the engine and our pockets.
Old 28th October 2007, 23:37   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by clipto333 View Post
thanks man(ss). . and that night the engine went kaput. an engine failure at 80k beats tata engines. i remember my sierra and estate engines needing major repair at 100k.
cheers
clip
But Sir ji tata engine major work wont cost that much, i would say they are cheapest to repair and no spare problems. Friend of mine in Jalandher sold off his indica at 300000KM though engine needed an overhaul but even in that condition it was kinda normal.

Last edited by overdose14 : 28th October 2007 at 23:39.
Old 28th October 2007, 23:52   #24
Senior - BHPian

also i for got to mention that both at 25k kms and at 30k kms the hyundai guy flushed my engine and i am bit scared as to if this will lead to any kind of damage to any packings or seals in the engine please respond!!!
Old 29th October 2007, 00:51   #25
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
also i for got to mention that both at 25k kms and at 30k kms the hyundai guy flushed my engine and i am bit scared as to if this will lead to any kind of damage to any packings or seals in the engine please respond!!!
Engine flush at 25k?! And then again at 30k! Mannn... your A.S.S. must be the biggest chors around. Did not you tell them that they flushed it once at 25k? As it is 25k sounds a little too early for an engine flush.
Old 29th October 2007, 09:17   #26
Senior - BHPian

Generally diesels are flushed at 50+K kms. Also if after the run-in period you switch to high grade synthetic oils or top of the line mineral oil, like Mobil Delvac, then engine flushing can be done at 75+K kms.

Flushing at 25K & then redoing it at 30K is blasphemy. Either the Hyundai guys have taken you for a ride or are messing up your vehicle. Did you see them flushing the engine and if with what? Generally I believe the customers are not allowed to enter the workshop bay.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider60 View Post
Old 29th October 2007, 09:42   #27
BHPian

I have seen many hyundai Accent CRDis failure around 80K Kms. This is another case. This clearly mentions that Hyundai CRDis are not ment for long term ownership.
Accent CRDi is from Detroit Diseal, a famous company for building big engines. I think it failed for this small engine.
Old 29th October 2007, 10:23   #28
Team-BHP Support

Over heating will kill any engine, be it Korean or otherwise. I don't really see this being a problem with crdi engines per se.
Old 29th October 2007, 10:44   #29
Senior - BHPian

# Engine flush at such early mileage is a no - no...then again after a 5k interval - either a mistake or the guy was out of his mind. The 25k mileage flush would only be needed if the engine had never seen oil changes at regular intervals or the fillters were not changed, therefore leading to sludge in the engine.....beats me !!

# Crdi engines in the Accent have run 130000 kms trouble free (and still going strong & trouble free) I have seen that myself. Only regular oil & filter changes are needed.

Cheers

Last edited by Ricky_63 : 29th October 2007 at 10:46.
Old 29th October 2007, 10:54   #30
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW77 View Post
Accent CRDi is from Detroit Diseal, a famous company for building big engines.
Sorry, that is Detroit Diesel. This one seems to be a look-alike imposter!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks